[MOD](Alpha 10) The Finer Things - Coffee and Cigarettes

Started by DeaconBlues, February 24, 2015, 09:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeaconBlues

The Finer Things...
Now with More Booze, Tobacco, and Coffee...
Updated to utilize the new Joy system!

Forging a new life after crash landing on a planet is hard work, as we all know, so why not inject a bit of luxury into your colony?  That's where the The Finer Things comes in...

Now that the official Joy system has dropped, the inclusion of further alcohol and other joy giving substances seems all the more appropriate.  I've taken some liberties in how these various items are categorized as far as Joy's concerned, just to spread them across the spectrum of Joy built into RimWorld, but I think an argument could be made for their current classifications.  Details can be found below:

Alcohol
- Adds Strawberry Wine, Saki, Vodka, Whisky and Tequila
  - These function essentially just like beer, but, as some are more potent forms of alcohol, can result in greater intoxication when consumed by your colonists.  Be wary of the tequila  ;)
- Adds the Still.  This serves as the workbench where the above alcohol is distilled

Tobacco
- Adds Cigarillos and Cigars
  - In addition to providing a mood boost when consumed, tobacco products also boost a colonist's move speed and manipulation.
- Adds the ability to grow and harvest tobacco
- Adds the Tobacconist Workbench.  Here colonists can roll packs of cigarillos and cigars
- Consuming Tobacco products falls under the "Meditative" kind of Joy.  While admittedly both a Chemical and Social experience in certain settings, I felt that a lone colonist enjoying a Cigar would have plenty of time to reflect on their current state of being and take in the world that surrounds them.  Or at least that's my been experience.

Coffee
- Adds Coffee and Espresso
  - Once again, in addition to providing a mood boost (we are trying to keep those colonists happy), coffee products also boost a colonist's move speed and consciousness.
- Adds the ability to grow and harvest coffee
- Adds the Coffee Machine.  Here colonists brew both coffee and espresso
- Coffee products fall under the Social kind of Joy.  After all, coffee houses, depending on where you go of course, tend to be very social places.

Updates 4/20/2015
- In addition to the Alpha 10 mandated updates, I've also rebalanced tobacco and coffee.  Both plants now take much longer to grow, but the raw resources also sell for more with traders than most agricultural products -- the idea being that, since they can't be used for food, they're basically cash crops.  Hopefully I didn't go overboard.
- Once again, thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far.

Notes
- If anyone wants to adapt/re purpose parts of my mod, be it code or graphics, or include it in a mod pack please feel free.  I only ask for a credit  :)

Known Issues/Future Plans:
- No known issues at this time.  If one does find bugs please let me know.
- I do plan on adding more luxury type items in the future so stick around!

[attachment deleted due to age]

dareddevil7

deadmeat5150

This is AMAZING. Thankyou!!

Do I need to start a new world?

DeaconBlues

I believe your current world should work fine.  May want back up your save just in case though...

superiorx

This looks amazing, DeaconBlues.
I'll definitely be checking this out soon :D

Ink.

This is really awesome. Definitely going to install for my colonists to help lighten their days of killing pirates.

Beer. ☑
Liquor. ☑
Ciggarettes. ☑
Coffee. ☑
Weed. ☑

What else are we missing as consumables in mods?

Novellum

Quote from: Ink. on February 24, 2015, 10:23:32 PM
This is really awesome. Definitely going to install for my colonists to help lighten their days of killing pirates.

Beer. ☑
Liquor. ☑
Ciggarettes. ☑
Coffee. ☑
Weed. ☑

What else are we missing as consumables in mods?
Pretty much all hardcore drugs that would just straight-up kill a colonist if they binged on it.

Cybergoth

This is perfect, adds up some good trade opprtunities :)

eddyvegasgames

The only thing I can think of is to give colonists who use tobacco a very very small chance of getting cancer. For coffee, perhaps make them slightly more irritable and hard to be around. I'm just throwing that out there, mod is fine as it is.

DeaconBlues

Thanks, I actually had some similar thoughts myself...  Maybe making smokers take a hit to their social in exchange for the boosts or adding a smoker trait so that they get a negative mood if they haven't smoked recently -- same could go for coffee too really.  I'll have to see how the hangover mechanic currently works as that could be a good way to implement crashing when coming down off of caffeine, but I think it might be more involved than editing some defs (or I just missed it).

blaze7736

Some advice i have been working on the weed mod and for then cancer thing you could add a chance when cosumed that your colonist gets this effect check out my new drug in the weed mod called one kick it has a 10% chance of your colonist getting a diffirent effect

StorymasterQ

Coffee and cigarettes remind me of This War of Mine.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

AKillerCoconut

Great mod! You should add a monocle 8) with a boost to social, trading, and sight to counter act my old man pawn with cataracts xD

general222291

Great looking mod! Could use some better textures though (I can't really say much, I'm terrible :P )
Mods:
Wandering Caravans [A15]