[WIP](Alpha 9) Craftable Guns v0.5

Started by fenix849, February 15, 2015, 02:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fenix849

Description
Warning: This mod is a work in progress, and as such any future changes may render savegames unloadable.

This mods main function is to make the stock game's guns craftable via the Firearms Machining Table, it also adds a single additional weapon, the sighted pistol.

Once completed I may opensource the mod, because there was a lot of figuring out that needed doing.

Kudos

• oranos, for being an awesome sounding board and some tech tree ideas.
  • sacomato(irc), for his assistance with some of the finer technical points.
  • tynan, for making such a fun challenging and awesomely moddable game.
Sorry if that sounded like an emmy speech, but credit where it's due.

Features

• Added Weapon Sighted Pistol, it has the following stats:
   It's more accurate at 91% - 71% - 67% - 51%
   But it's range is still 24 tiles.
   Rate of fire, damage et al., are unchanged.

• The following guns are craftable with the appropriate research:

•       
    • Pistol
    • Pump Shotgun
    • Lee-Enfield(v0.4x)/Survival Rifle(0.5+)
    • L15(0.4x)/LMG(0.5+)
    • Uzi(0.4x)/PDW(0.5+)
    • M16(0.4x)/Assult Rifle(0.5+)
    • Sighted Pistol
    • M24(0.4x)/Sniper Rifle(0.5+)

• Research Tree:

•       
    • Firearms Machining

•          
      • Barrel Rifleing

•             
        • Auto Loading

• Sight Adjustment

•             
        • Optics

Incomplete

• Research Descriptions
  • Guns+ Compatibility Patch

Changes
v0.41:

• Updated sighted pistol to take existing pistol and steel as ingredients.
Download
Download Craftable Guns v0.41 [Alpha 8]
Download Craftable Guns v0.5 [Alpha 9]

Dragoon

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7179.0

There is already a weapon crafting mod It does not however have sighted pistols just fyi.

I do look forward to seeing what makes this mod different.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

fenix849

That's true but, what differentiates my mod is that it in as far as it's able (ie where it doesn't completely impede gameplay), this mod prefers realism.

As far as i can find, it's the only mod that adds only craftable guns and not other stuff people may not actually want.

AFAIK you can have as many mods as you want, so combining largely unrelated features into a mod just limits choice, imo.

As for the sighted pistol, im thinking of making that an an upgrade rather than directly craftable actually (ie recipe takes pistol and metal and gives sighted pistol).

Dragoon

No it's a mod pakcish thing you can just choose craftable guns dude :/.
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

fenix849

I had a look at Brunayla's Security Co, the weapon crafting is ok, imo, it's a little bit on the cheap side, and we have different unlock methodologies, he used crafting skill, I use a research tree.

I really just made the mod for myself and a few of my friends that didn't like the existing options, if other people gain value from it, that's just a bonus.

I do however also plan to make a version that is compatible with Guns+, which I think is more balanced that some of the other new weapon mods, and I'm working on adding crafting of explosives, which will be a risky proposition.

skullywag

More choice is never a bad thing. You keep modding and expanding your knowledge and having fun.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Dragoon

Quote from: fenix849 on February 16, 2015, 09:40:33 AM
I'm working on adding crafting of explosives, which will be a risky proposition.

ooo what kind of explosives?

fenix849

Frag grenades, the Guns+ grenade launcher,  and the T-9 incendiary, to extrapolate, the risk will be a small chance based on crafting skill the table and person at the table get taken out in an explosion and resulting shock wave and a fire starts. Im thinking 4-5% for Crafting 1 and like 0.5% for Crafting 20.

Just need to work out how to do it in the code, I can already destroy the table and kill the colonist, that's fairly easy. I'm still experimenting with how to set a fire nearby.

Dragoon

fenix849

Quote from: Dragoon on February 21, 2015, 11:21:33 AM
I hope this gets updated to alpha 9 :D

It is now. Still working on the further functionality.