colonists should gain some traits over time

Started by majesty, February 25, 2015, 02:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

majesty

cannibalism for instance. i feel like people should be able to get accustomed to human meat after a while instead of getting a debuff all the time, and i feel like people should also become desensitized to prisoners dying or something. im trying to run a black market organ harvesting operation where i capture prisoners or buy slaves, harvest all of their non vital organs, and sell the vegetables to the slave traders and organs to the exotic goods traders. it would be profitable if every staff member wasnt a total pansy and couldnt handle the sight of a little prisoner blood. where has the professionalism gone? i cant have my staff in a state of mental breaks 75% of the time, it just isnt good for business. prisoners die this way and i lose money. i already have enough meat from all the ones that they accidentally kill during combat. anyway, certain traits should be gained over time. or certain traits unlocked, or certain items/weapons unlocked through gaining traits. for instance, how can you expect a brawler with 0 shooting to even know how to operate a rocket launcher? i like the system where it requires a certain amount of cooking to cook fine meals, should add that for weapons too.

Rommert

Quote from: majesty on February 25, 2015, 02:27:44 AM
cannibalism for instance. i feel like people should be able to get accustomed to human meat after a while instead of getting a debuff all the time, and i feel like people should also become desensitized to prisoners dying or something. im trying to run a black market organ harvesting operation where i capture prisoners or buy slaves, harvest all of their non vital organs, and sell the vegetables to the slave traders and organs to the exotic goods traders. it would be profitable if every staff member wasnt a total pansy and couldnt handle the sight of a little prisoner blood. where has the professionalism gone? i cant have my staff in a state of mental breaks 75% of the time, it just isnt good for business. prisoners die this way and i lose money. i already have enough meat from all the ones that they accidentally kill during combat. anyway, certain traits should be gained over time. or certain traits unlocked, or certain items/weapons unlocked through gaining traits. for instance, how can you expect a brawler with 0 shooting to even know how to operate a rocket launcher? i like the system where it requires a certain amount of cooking to cook fine meals, should add that for weapons too.

That sounds like a good idea would also make your colonists used to killing people and corpses

cultist

I personally disagree. Having a colony of clones with all positive traits makes the game stale and predictable. If all my colonists reacted in a similar fashion to every event, it would be too easy to just set up a game that runs itself with the AI providing the only surprises.

erdrik

I like the idea of gaining traits, but it should be traumatic events that do it not a gradual over time thing.

Like maybe after killing or seeing the death of a large number of enemies/allies and 'cleaning up the mess', there is a random chance to become obsessive about cleaning up blood.

"No, no, no... no blood here... scrub scrub scrub. ... no blood here..."

majesty

Quote from: cultist on February 25, 2015, 12:47:57 PM
I personally disagree. Having a colony of clones with all positive traits makes the game stale and predictable. If all my colonists reacted in a similar fashion to every event, it would be too easy to just set up a game that runs itself with the AI providing the only surprises.
this isnt necessarily what i meant. bad traits would also be gained, and lost. as the posted below you said, it wouldnt be gradual, it would be event based, but it would require a certain amount of events, so gradual in a way.

PokestarFan

Quote from: Rommert on February 25, 2015, 09:14:41 AM
Quote from: majesty on February 25, 2015, 02:27:44 AM

That sounds like a good idea would also make your colonists used to killing people and corpses
When I was doing Alpha 8 modded, all my starting colonists had cannibalism. I got plenty of food. However, you have to be careful with recruits. They go iffy from meat. Also, if the colonist plants a lot, they get green thumb, and maybe if they drink beer, they get the chemical interest. To make it fair, you could be able to get negative traits. 

ITypedThis

I dunno.... If you had nothing to eat but steaks carved off of the dead, when corn and rice became available at the buffet, would you still not mind eating the meat?

tommytom

Quote from: ITypedThis on February 25, 2015, 04:54:26 PM
I dunno.... If you had nothing to eat but steaks carved off of the dead, when corn and rice became available at the buffet, would you still not mind eating the meat?
Cannibal turned vegetarian all of a sudden? Sounds like dinner was just served. *licks lips to thought of human flesh dinner tonight*

inb4 IRL out-of-context quote.

Coenmcj

Bit of RNG and a list of conditions for each possible change could make this work.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

cultist

Quote from: majesty on February 25, 2015, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: cultist on February 25, 2015, 12:47:57 PM
this isnt necessarily what i meant. bad traits would also be gained, and lost. as the posted below you said, it wouldnt be gradual, it would be event based, but it would require a certain amount of events, so gradual in a way.
Well. I think the bad traits should heavily outweight the positive ones for it to work. For instance, if you force a colonist to do nothing but growing for weeks, they could get green thumb but they might become depressed or neurotic instead because you are forcing them to perform the same task over and over.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: tommytom on February 25, 2015, 06:57:02 PM
Cannibal turned vegetarian all of a sudden? Sounds like dinner was just served. *licks lips to thought of human flesh dinner tonight*

Let me add that to my collection :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

BinaryBlackhole

How about traits only really develop in extreme conditions that happen a lot so you would have to kill people or have lots of prisoners killed or harvested making people be balanced on the edge a little killing now and then wont cut it maybe a trait bar where trait points are lost over time so people can go soft.

majesty

Quote from: BinaryBlackhole on February 26, 2015, 04:54:23 AM
How about traits only really develop in extreme conditions that happen a lot so you would have to kill people or have lots of prisoners killed or harvested making people be balanced on the edge a little killing now and then wont cut it maybe a trait bar where trait points are lost over time so people can go soft.
yes, i really like this idea. for instance if you have a crashes ship part emitting phychic waves constantly and you do nothing about it, after a long series of mental breaks and psychotic rampages they would eventually gain physically dull and even deaf after a while, but once those waves stop, they would slowly lose a rank in that progression, after say a year or so. just like with cannibalism. normally you'd lose 15 happiness for eating human flesh, but after doing it for weeks you'd only lose 10, after half a year only 5, after 1 year you gain cannibalism trait. going without eating any human flesh for half a year would remove the cannibalism trait and you'd lose a rank in that progression.

erdrik

I like the idea of associating it with soft or hard mental breaks.

tommytom

Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 25, 2015, 10:01:23 PM
Quote from: tommytom on February 25, 2015, 06:57:02 PM

Let me add that to my collection :D
Heh. Exactly who I was thinking of after I had typed it.