[MOD](Alpha 9) Slavers (v1.01) Initial release - easier starts

Started by Wastelander, February 25, 2015, 03:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wastelander

Slavers Mod

Description:
Slavers is a mod that changes your colonists from calm, reasonable worker ants to badass slavers and pirates. To thrive in this mod, you'll need to capture and manage a pool of slaves that do all the real work around the colony while your slavers kick their feet up at the bar. The main changes in this mod are:

Slaves
Prisoners can now be enslaved by crafting a slave collar at a tailor's workbench. Slaves work much like colonists in that they can be assigned tasks, drafted, and use all the same facilities that your colonists can. The biggest change is that over time, slaves will start to be mischievous and sabotage the colony, by sneakily destroying items, painting ugly graffiti, slacking off and avoiding work, or even powering down turrets when you aren't looking! To combat this, you can discipline your slaves by beating them, hanging their dead in gibbet cages, or even executing some to send a message to the rest. Be careful, though, the methods of disciplining slaves cause them to be unhappy, so don't lay it on too thick.

Pirates and Slavers
Instead of a colony built by survivors of a crash, the colony is a pirate clan marooned on the Rimworld. As pirates, the colonists won't care about murder, death, or slavery, but do expect wages to be paid once per month. Wages are paid by building an ATM building with attached money hoppers and filling the hoppers with gold or silver - the slavers will use the ATM on payday automatically.

Slavers expect all the heavy lifting in the colony to be done by slaves, and will grow very unhappy if they have to work!

New Stuff!
   -New Storyteller!
   -New turrets: beanbag turret and sonic turret! Both non-lethal, the beanbag turret is short range and rapid-firing, while the sonic turret is very long range, very low rate of fire, but almost guaranteed to put someone down when it hits.
   -New melee weapon: whip! Does almost no damage, perfect for disciplining slaves.
   -New buildings: ATM and money hopper! Build so colonists can draw wages.
   -New events: Nomads and Slave Riot!
   -New work: Guard! Like Warden but for slaves instead of prisoners.
   -All the stuff from the Prison Improvements mod!

If you don't want spoilers, feel free to download the mod and check it out. If you want to know exactly how this mod works, check out the SPOILERS document, which lists each and every change in the mod.

Screenshots
Click for the full size image.

Thanks to:
Haplo for the job tutorial post in particular
EDB for the awesome mods
Justin C for the non-lethal turrets mod

Download

http://www81.zippyshare.com/v/RgVOo3ZR/file.html

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Changelog

1.01:
- Colonist wages now cost (skillpoints * 3), instead of (skillpoints * 5). This should put the average wages around 150 instead of 250 per month.
- Colonists don't expect wages to be paid until the end of the second month (24 days in). "Buy pirates today and get the first month free!"
- Adjusted unpaid negative thoughts downward from -15 and -30 to -7 and -14.
- Adjusted Toiled to only stack to 5 (-25 total).
- Adjusted mischief to only gain at the rate of 3% instead of 5% per day
- Adjusted downward the saw turret and saw gibbet cage thoughts to -4 and -6
- New slaves get the disciplined state for 12 days after being enslaved.

Known issues / Bugs
   -Takes two keypresses to rotate security camera
   -Not all input is caught when naming a security camera - for example, 1-2-3 still change game time while naming. Will work on this one at some point.
   -Bloodlust trait has been removed (all slavers act like they have bloodlust anyway)
   -Slaves aren't sellable at the moment, you have to imprison them first
        -Wages are still being balanced, if your colony keeps running out of money you can turn off wages by modifying Slavers\Defs\ThoughtDefs\SlaversThoughtDefs.xml and setting the unpaid states to 0 effect.

A Note on Compatibility
This mod replaces a lot of behavior from the core game. Unfortunately that means this mod will not work with many of the other mods for this game.

Mods that just add new things - like new guns, turrets, plants - will probably work fine; mods that change the core game, like the mods that add zombies or aliens or whatnot, probably will not work. If you notice a problem with this mod or any other, please try disabling all the mods except Slavers before reporting a problem, and let me know in this thread what mods do and don't work together.

Compatible / Incompatible Mods:
* My Minor mods (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10908.0): Works!
* Prison Improvements: Already rolled into this mod, so disable when using Slavers.
* EDB's mods (interface, prepare carefully): Works!

Epyk

Click picture for Epyk Pack!
Try Epokalypse!

Novellum

"To combat this, you can discipline your slaves by beating them, hanging their dead in gibbet cages, or even executing some to send a message to the rest."

Geezus man...

Vonholtz

I have to say it is some thing I did not think about. I will play around with it see what it like.

Viceroy

Yay for evil!

Ever play Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena? It would be so cool if you could drone your slaves into automated machinegun wielding guards like they had.
Dog goes moo!

Grynnreaper

any chance of getting the collars as a standalone ?

soulkata

Viceroy

Is it possible to change the slaves' name colour, because... how dare they have proper citizen colours!
*beats slave*
Dog goes moo!

lude

Hmm, I will have to try this out, perhaps map out which Mods it specifically doesn't work with, because I'm using 90 mods, but Prison Stuff is already pretty great and this reads like a beautiful 'half total conversion'.

akiceabear

Sounds amazing - definitely giving this a try next game. If anyone else knows about mod conflicts (sounds like there could be many) please do tell.

So I can be the evil bastards that are ruining all the colonists fun now?  Sha-weet!  Seriously, the games "must be a nice guy" is getting a little tired.  Once you've built a dozen colonies or so the game gets a bit tired.  Can't wait to try this.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.