[MOD-request] MANTIS (C-RAM / projectil defence)

Started by Yas, February 25, 2015, 02:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yas

Hey there,

there are some concepts (rl, now) about shooting down incomming projectils (e.g. mortars). Some ppl may know similar things like C-RAM or so.

One of them called MANTIS (Modular, Automatic and Network capable Targeting and Interception System) which sounds quite nice.

Would it be possible to make a MANTIS tower? Basically I guess it could work like ED-Shields. Having a radius within projectils are intercepted. Maybe longer range but no extras. And maybe even a chance to miss.

So one will be forced to build lets say 2 or 3 towers and overlapping firezones.

For more balance it also could use extra amount of power when activated. Lets say 200 W on standby and 1.200 fireing. Pls, forget about using ammo though, MANTIS shoots about 1.000 times a minute.

And no, I do love and use ED shields and I wont stop using them :). Just would love to have some extra thingy and a MANTIS tower just.

Mithradates

Can you build one with scrap metal, wood, and stone? How do you suggest they be built? Why can't I aim one towards the ground and fire on the inbound tribe?

I for one think turrets are too easy to build. We at least need some kind of microprocessor unit, as well as a motion sensor array, *and* some means of telling friends from foe (programming, in addition to tags of some kind).
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

Yas

Quote from: Mithradates on February 25, 2015, 03:28:08 PM
Can you build one with scrap metal, wood, and stone? How do you suggest they be built? Why can't I aim one towards the ground and fire on the inbound tribe?

I for one think turrets are too easy to build. We at least need some kind of microprocessor unit, as well as a motion sensor array, *and* some means of telling friends from foe (programming, in addition to tags of some kind).

Agree ur points. In the end it would depend on the modder how to realize it. Including balancing (modders work, modders choice).

But I guess it would be a good idea to have an "AI-core" from that ship part in the construction list. Makes the turret expensive and give some reasonable "AI features" like sensors. For balancing one could use plast steel or so as a construction material too.

Ofc a modder may decide to make a sensor turret and cheaper cannon-turrets (like MANTIS is irl).

I feel uncomfortable to ask for extra ressources to add though cause thats a lot more effort and compatibility can become a prob.