Negative relations when trapping visitors

Started by erdrik, March 05, 2015, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

Capturing/arresting visitors have a negative impact on relations between their faction and the colony.
But you can apparently use the keys and locked doors to trap visitors within your colony.
Feed them in the mean time and release them when attacked and you have a ready made force to help defend.
So my suggestion is to make it so that if visitors are within the colony and have no pathing options to leave the map then they will consider themselves "Tricked into Imprisonment".
This should result in an immediate negative impact on relations between their faction and the colony.
Visitors that have been "Tricked into Imprisonment" could also have a local reaction.
Meaning they may temporarily turn hostile and try to break out.
Or maybe they sit put, and wait for a rescue attempt from their faction.
Or maybe the Faction calls the colony and demands they be released, perhaps leading to ransom demands.

CodyRex123

Wonderful, i like this idea, i will fill a room with turrets, allow the vistors into it, and if they turn, they get shot to bits.
+1
Dragons!

erdrik

Quote from: CodyRex123 on March 05, 2015, 02:42:44 PM
Wonderful, i like this idea, i will fill a room with turrets, allow the vistors into it, and if they turn, they get shot to bits.
+1
That results in the negative impact on relations with that faction to occur twice, so I don't see a problem with that plan balance wise.

EDIT:
Ooo! Idea! if a visitor is killed with the "Tricked into Imprisonment" thought, it could double the negative impact on relations with that faction.
So you'd get bad rep from trapping them, then another bad rep x2 for killing them.
(for a total of x3 the normal bad rep)

CodyRex123

makes sense, but i mostly said that cause of a ransom demand chance.
Dragons!

Vagabond

Hello,

I think there needs to be a more dynamic approach to interfaction relations. As it stands there is this... "Psychic" relationship meter that automatically determines whether or not relationship is gained or loss. Some hypothetical situations and their possible outcomes:

Faction A visits the colony. Faction B is an enemy of Faction A, and they are on map and attacks them. You pick a side and help defeat them, but there are no survivors amongst your allies. Thus there is no way for their faction to know you helped them. One of the enemy faction members survived, so you do take a relationship hit with their faction. Now, you can call up the allied faction and let them know what happened and avoid a relationship hit if the AI Storyteller decides to send a search party out. IF the other faction is technologically impaired (such as tribals), you can send a colonist to their base on an off map 'mission' to let them know what happend. In this situation you can never gain rep with Faction A, because there are no survivors (relationship gained would be determined by the amount of allies that return home, and after that, how many enemy faction members were killed.).

Cheers,
Michael

erdrik

mmm... I don't know how complex Tynan is planning to make things, and that may be a bit too complex.

I like to keep my suggestions tiered as small steps up from the current state