Questions and answers from Tynan.

Started by Semmy, October 02, 2013, 09:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoussinJoyeux

Quote from: Tynan on November 08, 2013, 01:58:53 AM

Do note that I don't use Unity's GameObject/Monobehaviour object/component system at all, however. I rolled my own of that just because theirs is a bit too mushy and much too poor in performance to handle all the interactions in RimWorld, and because they're not designed for a lockstep tile-based game.

I'm so glad to read that!  :D
Before I backed your project in KS, I was a bit reluctant after having read you were using Unity. Fortunately for me, I finally did :)
I agree with what you said about poor performance for such kind of game so it's good you mix Unity use with your own code.

And let me say your game is great and it's been a long time since I've been such into a game (despite tons of good games released this year...). And it's very nice to read you so often in this forum. My only regret is not to have thought and started to make a game like this before you did ;)
So congratulations and thanks for this game/dev Tynan!

Ludov

Question: I've seen the game already seem to procedurally generate the land your colonists fall on, and there's been talk of biomes and even factions being added at some point. Plus, the possibility of a coop multiplayer has actually been thrown about a few times.

So with so many elements which could tie into aspect of a "greater worl" out there, could there be a possibility of a World/moon map and generator at some point?
That is, a "greater world" 's map where you could either choose(or have randomly assigned, due to the spaceship crash scenario) which "plot" of land your colonists actually make planetfall(or should that be moonfall?) on?

It's mostly something I was wondering about as with the talk of factions, multiple biome types and so on... it's one of the game where I could -very- well see such a greater worldmap to interact with. In the case of a "random landing scenario", landing in an easier/harder biome would add variation to the difficulty scale.
And games, when all colonist dies, already ends with the lines "maybe the ruins of these buildings will be useful to someone else in the future" which would mesh well with the possibility to attempt to "reclaim"a previous lost colony, especially if an actual "colonize this world" start option is ever offered.

And with the game's already present highly tactical gameplay, I could almost imagine it's own very much involving variant of DF's adventurer mode of sort where you could draft colonists to actually carry missions outside your own border to conduct raids(or diplomatic missions and others missions) of your own on other factions on the moon or planet(something that, I feel, could really mesh well with a coop multiplayer where one player manage the colony and another manager missions squads and maybe trade caravans to other lands).

Note I'm asking and talking about this knowing that if it ever get considered, it probably is something that would only be a long time later into the future of the game.

(also, all in call, this fellow canadian must give you a lot of congratulation for making such an involving game even when it's still very much in pre-alpha).

garg1

Question:
Not actually planning to apply for, but are YOU planning to expand a bit with ludeon?
It's known you've got a sound-guy and an art-guy (or are you still looking for one).
So as the game and the community grows, are there any plans to employ one or two more coders? Maybe a Community-Manager?
I can't evaluate if you need more employees, i'm just asking out of curiosity (and for some unemployed canadian gamedevs, i guess ^_^).

Cheers, maybe you'll find time to give feedback to my Weatherstation-Suggestion :-P
...allways an egg.

Morrigi

Question:
Will the colonists at some point be able to create walls and electric cables that are not filled with some combination of gasoline and short circuits?

Also.
Will there come a time where one does not have the ability to create fully-powered defense systems, metal walls, and solar panels in the early game? Will more basic materials and items like wood, stone, and campfires, along with a few bits of tech you've managed to salvage from the escape pods and wreckage, eventually define the starting experience?

What are your current plans/ideas regarding gameplay progression?

Bizz Keryear

A gameplay question: I have recognized that mountains with a "thick rock roof" "renew" themself after crashing down.

Are those mountains infinity high or are you able to clear them away after a while (of letting crash them down)?

Galileus

Quote from: Bizz Keryear on November 14, 2013, 08:40:42 AM
A gameplay question: I have recognized that mountains with a "thick rock roof" "renew" themself after crashing down.

Are those mountains infinity high or are you able to clear them away after a while (of letting crash them down)?

Thick roof cannot be cleared.

todofwar

How often do you read through forums? Not saying you're not responsive, I'd say quite the opposite, but sometimes I'm tempted to post a new thread for an idea because I feel it will get missed even though the main idea behind it has a thread already. Really hoping this doesn't come across the wrong way.

shadowgod3211

hey um i have something i wanted to ask? can we make like a custom factions? or have anthro like humans for the custom factions? (anthro means humans that are half animal and half human if the rules would've allowed me to post a link to let's say a picture of a anthro i would've already put in a link to it and oh almost forgot to warn people about anthros D= the males are fine bbbuuutttt the females will bigger u know what i didn't say it in a way that could get me banned DX i'm being mature like teen :P )

cause this has been on my mind ever since i read the guild lines for the creative thing (idk remember it DX sorry i have a poor memory :( ) and oh is it copy right if i just let's say post a picture of a anthro pony from my little pony (and ik they don't stand on 2 hoofs >_> anthro ponies are a fan made version of the ponies from the show i think i don't really know -_-") to help the admins who i ask stuff about and the rules so the meaning of this last question is am i allowed to post a picture of the thing i am telling or asking in case no one knows what the thing or word is? i think these are 3 or 4 questions? O_o i don't really know i wasn't counting D=

please i need to know about these questions i am asking :O so i don't get banned or i need to know if and make sure i'm about to do non rule breaking way? :3

Galileus

No, there will be no non-human aliens. This was addressed before.

Camokid7

Why Is My Screen Pink When I Try To Play?

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Camokid7 on December 25, 2013, 10:09:55 PMWhy Is My Screen Pink When I Try To Play?

Why are you capitalizing every word of every sentence?
Raiders must die!

Galileus

Mor importantly, it belongs in bugs forum ;) Should be way faster to get an answer there.

altminus

My question will be :

Any ETA for the beta ?
Can't wait ;)

Galileus

Untrustedlife

Tynan, I am wondering what kinds of threats you plan on adding later in the games development?

Think you can give a general idea please, I am extremely curious.
Only tynan should answer this.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK