Questions and answers from Tynan.

Started by Semmy, October 02, 2013, 09:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GC13

Is anyone else smelling optional features? Because I think I can smell optional features.

salt1219

Quote from: GC13 on October 12, 2013, 09:11:57 PM
Is anyone else smelling optional features? Because I think I can smell optional features.
so that's not muffalo poo?  i think they could end up being part of a hardmode

maynard

Maybe not the right question for this thread, here it is anyway.

Do you plan to sell the game on other digital distributors (gog.com, humble store, indiegamestand.com, etc.) when the game is finished?

British

Quote from: maynard on October 16, 2013, 12:29:05 AM
Do you plan to sell the game on other digital distributors (gog.com, humble store, indiegamestand.com, etc.) when the game is finished?
A trip to the Search function would have told you that the subject has been discussed before, and here's the answer from Tynan when asked about alternative distribution:

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41.msg425#msg425
"Yeah, I'll be getting the game up everywhere I can. Desura, GoG, Steam - the more exposure, the better."

Tynan will most likely take care of that when the KS campaign is finished, but it would be nice if he could confirm where and when ::)

Semmy

Quote from: British on October 16, 2013, 04:34:32 AM
A trip to the Search function would have told you that the subject has been discussed before, and here's the answer from Tynan when asked about alternative distribution:

"Yeah, I'll be getting the game up everywhere I can. Desura, GoG, Steam - the more exposure, the better."

Tynan will most likely take care of that when the KS campaign is finished, but it would be nice if he could confirm where and when ::)

This is as close as a confirmation as there is from tynan.
This is a quote from 2 days ago.
I'm not against Desura. But RW is #8 on Steam Greenlight right now; Steam would come first.
This is an answer tynan gave to somebody asking about it on kickstarter.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Tynan

Yeah, it's not complicated. We're on Greenlight, the others I haven't looked at, but I'm not against them.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mumblemumble

Do you ever plan to enlarge or have infinite world space for maps? (With performance issues, would "chunks" similar to minecraft be possible?)

Do you ever plan to have some form of other colonist settlements?

Do you ever plan to enable some form of multi height building? (mines under the ground, multi level structures)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Semmy

Quote from: mumblemumble on October 16, 2013, 11:44:32 AM
Do you ever plan to enlarge or have infinite world space for maps?
Maps are 200*200 tynan has tested 250*250 above that performance issues atm. So when the game is optimized its a MAYBE but no promises

Do you ever plan to have some form of other colonist settlements?

Do you ever plan to enable some form of multi height building? (mines under the ground, multi level structures)

This falls under z-levels. Here is the answer from the openingspost.
Question: Will there be z-levels (vertical mapping)?

Answer: All the coordinates are tracked in 3-vectors already (though only the two horizontal axes are used), so the potential for 3D is in the game.

I am afraid that there is basically no way a modder would ever be able to mod Z-axis into the game. It is a beast of a feature. Here's some basic issues you'd have to handle:
-Pathfinding
-Lighting spilling over Z-levels
-Save/load of a geometrically larger amount of stuff (e.g. 200x200 map = 40k squares, 200x200x10 = 400k squares!)
-Line of sight for shooting
-AI tactical analysis of shooting lines of sight etc
-Cover usefullness varying at vertical angles
-Interface for moving through Z-levels
-Rendering visible lower Z-levels while being on higher ones

Edmund Burke

SteveAdamo

given that RimWorld is about the stories we experience, could there perhaps be a chronicler or sorts? something that captures what our experiences were at the eventual demise of our colony?

apologies if this has been asked/answered...

GC13

Quote from: SteveAdamo on October 16, 2013, 04:26:20 PM
given that RimWorld is about the stories we experience, could there perhaps be a chronicler or sorts? something that captures what our experiences were at the eventual demise of our colony?

apologies if this has been asked/answered...
I believe that's covered by the Storytelling Tools module, which is one set of features that may be added to the game.

maynard

Quote from: British on October 16, 2013, 04:34:32 AM

Thanks for the answer.

I actually used the search function in the upper right of the forum (not the separate page) as well as google bing (guess that was the default, becuase some forums have terrible search), but did not get any results. I just tried the search in the upper right again and get results, so maybe it was due to me not being logged in before that it didn't work.

Semmy

Edmund Burke

Morrigi

Will physical stockpiles and items needed on-site for construction ever become part of gameplay, as opposed to the current Space Logic, invisible stockpiles we currently have?

Tynan

Quote from: Morrigi on October 28, 2013, 06:55:57 PM
Will physical stockpiles and items needed on-site for construction ever become part of gameplay, as opposed to the current Space Logic, invisible stockpiles we currently have?

I'm working on stockpiles right now.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

MrCroa

Great question and cool answer...  :D

I like how prison architect handles stockpiles (like settlers). When you see the things you ordered arriving by truck and workers carrying all that stuff.