Play by email succession games

Started by Kregoth, November 13, 2013, 03:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kregoth

One of my favorite ways to play Dwarf Fortress is playing Succession games. Each player plays for 1 in game year and then saves the game and hands it to the next person to play, continuing where they left off.

Sense this is a very simple an easy way to play with multiple people, I would love to see the game support this feature. I was thinking that when starting a new colony and clicking advanced you could choose a succession game option. You would enter how many days a turn is, and after their last day's turn the game auto-saves and zips the file onto the desktop, or some other location and lets the player know their turn is up. They can still play the game, but it won't affect the saved zip, Or you could enter each player's email and have it automatically send the file at the end of a turn.

I'm not sure how easy that would be to set up, but this makes for a simple multiplayer game mode.

ShadowDragon8685

I'm pretty sure Dwarf Fortress needs nothing to support this.

Really, all you need is like, an auto-pause and save when a week goes by. Or hell, just an alert player.
Raiders must die!

Luckless

Barring something funky having been done to cover an edge case, such a feature (at least the save file generation) shouldn't be an excessive change over and above the existing save and auto save functionality.

Doesn't sound like something I would use myself, but possibly one other players would be interested in.