How many people are working on Rimworld?

Started by evrett33, February 25, 2015, 10:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evrett33

It seems every day there is another example of a systems in the game that have been left in and not updated for far too long. Is Rimworld just still one guy?

StorymasterQ

Pretty sure the graphics guy and the music guy are different from the coder guy (Tynan), but I'm not sure if any of those 'guy's are more than one each.

Edit: Oh, duh.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

lusername

Quote from: evrett33 on February 25, 2015, 10:34:09 PM
It seems every day there is another example of a systems in the game that have been left in and not updated for far too long. Is Rimworld just still one guy?
Ayup. Sure looks that way. One guy who actually makes the game, some other guys who supply art and music but don't actually make any game.

Listen1

Quote from: evrett33 on February 25, 2015, 10:34:09 PM

I would rather have a one-guy codding the game and making all the fixes and crushing bugs with the speed he does than a 100 group that can't tie their shoe laces the right way.

This game is still creating it's core features, you can't expect that cool looking guns will be higher prioritazed than the Storyteller itself. The game is open to mods for extra content, but I rather that Tynan develop the core features by himself (Sorry bro) with the help of the comunity.

Vonholtz

Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 25, 2015, 10:50:49 PM
Pretty sure the graphics guy and the music guy are different from the coder guy (Tynan), but I'm not sure if any of those 'guy's are more than one each.

Edit: Oh, duh.
Ah yes but the OP asked how many "People" are working on this game. I am not sure if they count as "people". After all they are game developer and they do not count as "people". LoL  ;D *runs for the hills before Tynan and his crew come for him*

evrett33

The game is priced at a similar point to games with larger teams. Maybe its time to hire a second lead? Or is the money needed for trophy woman?

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: evrett33 on February 26, 2015, 12:41:44 PM
The game is priced at a similar point to games with larger teams. Maybe its time to hire a second lead? Or is the money needed for trophy woman?

I'd prefer this to be Tynans life project, so please no interference from other developers or trophy women. ;)

Listen1

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on February 26, 2015, 01:36:24 PM
Quote from: evrett33 on February 26, 2015, 12:41:44 PM

I'd prefer this to be Tynans life project, so please no interference from other developers or trophy women. ;)

Second that, and games priced at a similar point, made from larger teams don't even stand on the feet of rimworld in  terms of entertainment.

Noobshock

The alphas are progressing at a great pace even compared to other small scale "indie" projects that have more people and general resources working for them. If Tynan kept going at this rate for long enough we'd have a ridiculously fleshed out game within a year or two.

deslona

Quote from: Noobshock on February 26, 2015, 05:42:33 PM
The alphas are progressing at a great pace even compared to other small scale "indie" projects that have more people and general resources working for them. If Tynan kept going at this rate for long enough we'd have a ridiculously fleshed out game within a year or two.

This is soooo true. I bought Prison Architect and this game has had so much more done by less people than that in the same period of time. This product is far better. That isn't to say Prison Architect is bad. Far from it. It's a great little simulator. But They have more resources and have done less (visible) changes.
This may be just a consumers point of view as the devs there do not actively engage with the community or have a daily log (unless you include their mantis bug tracker). I think that helps bridge the gap between players and the product.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: deslona on February 26, 2015, 08:47:20 PM
Quote from: Noobshock on February 26, 2015, 05:42:33 PM

This is soooo true. I bought Prison Architect and this game has had so much more done by less people than that in the same period of time. This product is far better. That isn't to say Prison Architect is bad. Far from it. It's a great little simulator. But They have more resources and have done less (visible) changes.
This may be just a consumers point of view as the devs there do not actively engage with the community or have a daily log (unless you include their mantis bug tracker). I think that helps bridge the gap between players and the product.

What do you expect from someone called Chris Delay? :D j/k Silly British peoples.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Doomlord9

Oh Tynan has dozens of people working on improving the game. Of course they're not paid and we call them modders but that's just semantics really when mods can and have had Tynan add then to the core game.

This is not a complaint BTW, this is actually an extremely good way to develop an indie game without having to hire a large staff. The ideas that people you pay to come up with ideas will rarely be as good and as plentiful as the ideas random people on the internet will come up with in the spare time.

Andy_Dandy

Two people working on something just means lots of time wasted on social chats.