[A10] Expanded Mining 1.04 (Updated 20/04/15)

Started by Zoimos, February 25, 2015, 11:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoimos

Expanded Mining 1.04

Alpha 10

Coal Power Plant is working again!

Latest verison should now work with alpha 10. I have removed the craftable power armors for now as I want to do something much better in the future.

Description:

This is a simple mod that add some more mineable materials to the game as well as some ways to use them. I have tried to keep it balanced but any suggestions is welcomed.

Latest Updates

Coal Power now working again.
Added coal feeder to feed the coal power plant instead of a hopper.

Updated to Alpha 10!
Adjusted some veins to appear more often.
Some stuff costing cost now needs less.
Removed craftable power armor for now.

Added Coal campfire.
Added Diamonds.
Fixed furnace texture.
Added Tin and Bronze.
Added patch to allow VeinMiner to work with new veins types. (see below)
Added Mining Trader.

Adjusted aluminiums stats slightly.
Added craftable light and heavy power armors.
Plasteel now uses Riminium and cloth to create so now is profitable to craft.
Added a research-free furnace to smelt steel
A few balance adjustments

Current New Resources:

Iron: Weaker than steel but can be used to make steel
Copper:  Used for power cables and is a requirement for some buildings.
Aluminium: Slightly weaker than steel  .
Titanium: Slightly stronger than steel.
Riminium: New metal! Stronger than titanium.
Rimsteel: A alloy of riminium and steel, stronger than plasteel!
Coal: Used for coal power or make steel.
Diamonds: very rare and valuable, like gold and silver you will need more of it to make stuff.
Tin: Used to make bronze.
Bronze: Made from copper and tin, an ok alloy for equipment but makes good sculptures.

Most can be mined if you find a vein, also adds some of these to help you start off.

Can smelt some of the alloys at the new the electric smelter

Iron+Coal = Steel
Steel + Riminium = Rimsteel
Riminium + Cloth = Plasteel

Military Helmets are now craftable at a smithing table, the better the metal used the stronger the helmet.  Melee weapons can also use the new metals to make stronger weapons.

Coal Power:
Coal power plants can also be built, no research is needed, coal must be feed to it via a hopper and one piece of coal will provide 3000W for 4 hours. (6 coal a day to keep it running 24/7!)

The bulk trader will now always carry Coal so you can have a constant supply.

Screenshots:

Author

Zoimos - My first go at modding!

Metal textures I'm "burrowing" from the internet! May try making some myself in the future but will most likely suck!

Anyone is welcome to use this mod any way they wish.

Planned Features:
- Revamp the craftable armors, working on textures for some new armors!
- Open to any suggestions on new metals/alloys!
- More Gems!

- Any experts on material science out there feel free to tell me if the metal properties are off!

Download

Download here!

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

- VeinMiner should now work without a compatibility patch!

Novellum

Looks good, gotta say I really like the color of the riminium.

Asfalto

re1wind

This has potential, i like it.  :)

Although... aluminium isn't really "stronger" than iron, it is lighter than iron with approximately similar properties, and can be easily deformed  (malleability) like copper, bronze, etc. This is great for making lightweight tools and weapons, but would suffer from significantly lower durability. Which you've probably planned out already.

Also, Rimsteel is "stronger than plasteel", but the recipe to make plasteel requires rimsteel.  ???  I haven't tested the mod yet so maybe the pricing and/or volumes and/or other aspects are balanced out to make the process favourable, but logically i wouldn't want to use rimsteel to make a metal that is "inferior".

Suggestions:

An early-game coal/wood-fueled smeltery that can only make steel and simple alloys.

Zoimos

Was thinking it needs a research free furnace to make steel for early game. I'm planning some armours to craft and the idea is rimsteel is really strong but also heavy while plasteel is mixed with carbon to lose a lot of weight at the cost of some strength.

Zoimos

Updated with the following changes

Adjusted aluminiums stats slightly.
Added craftable light and heavy power armors.
Plasteel now uses Riminium and cloth to create so now is profitable to craft.
Added a research-free furnace to smelt steel
A few balance adjustments

If anyone got a request/feedback let me know and ill try and add it!

RemingtonRyder

Hey, I think that it's possible to have a particular material slow someone down when something made of it is equipped. The downside is that it would apply to anything made from it, not just apparel.

So for example, if you add:

<MoveSpeed>-0.05</MoveSpeed>

inside of the statFactors tags for a resource, it would pass that 5% move speed decrease on to anything made from it.

As for how to get around the problem of this showing up on any equipment and not just apparel, one approach might be to have an intermediary resource - metal plates, for example - and have just that carry the slowdown factor.

Zoimos

I tried the movespeed on material thing but didn't like how it effected every apparel the same like a helmet slowing you down as much as a full body suit. what I've done for now is added new stuff categories light and heavy metallic and seeing how that works.

RemingtonRyder

Tried the mod out today for the first time. It's a very different game with it installed. Good work. :)

RemingtonRyder

Got a request with regards to this mod. I would really like to use coal as an alternative to wood campfires in winter if it's needed. :)

drongo

I'm having trouble with getting copper, i don't know who to buy it from (not the bulk or deep space mining traders), and seeing as it's needed all throughout the game especially the early/mid game. Also, this mod does not work in conjuction with the very popular vein miner mod.

nutmeggm

QuoteAlso, this mod does not work in conjuction with the very popular vein miner mod.

Yeah the Veinminer mod needs to be updated to account for the new resources.

I have a fix for it but it isn't my mod so I don't want to "release" it.

Zoimos

The bulk trader should carry some but if another mod effects the trader too it might not have, I could make a new type of trader but they wouldn't have many types of stuff to sell.

I started using vein miner and noticed it doesn't work too so I see if its ok to release a compatibility patch for it.

hopefully will get a update out adding a bit more stuff in the next few days anyway!

RemingtonRyder

Hey there! I've made an addon which will make Expanded Mining resources show up on the oddments trader (from my Winter Is Here mod) which means that you'll have a semi-regular supply. It obviously requires both mods to be installed and activated, though.

Also, I've attached a couple of textures which you can use for the Furnace so that just the back of the table takes the stuff colour. Just throw them in the textures folder of the mod, make the graphicPath point to Textures\Things\Buildings\Furnace and add this to the Def:

<shaderType>CutoutComplex</shaderType>

[attachment deleted due to age]

cheetah2003

Fantastic mod,  Thank you so much for making this.

One small problem I wanted to point out I've noticed:  Coal does not appear on the categorized resource readout anywhere.