Why are my auto doors not working?

Started by Geertje123, February 26, 2015, 08:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geertje123

I have a line of auto doors at the top of my base (vertical) where they move through really fast, and I have a line of auto doors where they move through really slow, like normal doors.

What is causing this?

The fast one:

The slow one:

Shinzy

are they both from same material?
stone doors open really slow even as auto doors

Geertje123

Quote from: Shinzy on February 26, 2015, 08:55:03 AM

Ah snap, didn't know that...

The fast one is from steel, the slow one is from slate. :p
Thanks for the tip mate

lusername

Any kind of stone door is pokey-slow. Plasteel doors are the best for both durability and speed, not to mention sustainability, because eventually the map runs out of rocks, but the mechanoids never stop invading and their corpses are full of the stuff and it has no other use except to build the ship and leave.

This seems like a rather curious end-game goal, though. I mean, where would you GO? To go crash on another crappy planet? Why I can't I use the frikken antimatter reactor to power my base? More importantly, I can build an ANTIMATTER REACTOR, but I can't seem to build a GUN?

Geertje123

Quote from: lusername on February 26, 2015, 09:43:27 AMThis seems like a rather curious end-game goal, though. I mean, where would you GO? To go crash on another crappy planet? Why I can't I use the frikken antimatter reactor to power my base? More importantly, I can build an ANTIMATTER REACTOR, but I can't seem to build a GUN?

Lol, this seems like an issue indeed

cultist

Quote from: lusername on February 26, 2015, 09:43:27 AM
it has no other use except to build the ship and leave.
:(
Am I the only one who loves sending a power armored guy with superior plasteel longsword charging into the fray, cutting limbs here and there? If you squint your eye just so, it's almost like playing a space marine.

Eleazar

Quote from: lusername on February 26, 2015, 09:43:27 AM
Why I can't I use the frikken antimatter reactor to power my base?

You can.  I ran a lightbulb off of it-- haven't had reason to do more.

tommytom

Quote from: Geertje123 on February 26, 2015, 09:04:53 AM

Thanks for the tip mate
I don't know if this was a recent change, but I switched from steel from a catastrophic fire and wondered why my powered doors seemed unpowered, but yeah it's just stone doors are slower. Believe wood is slowest.

P.S.
Unpower a stone autodoor and cringe.

Boboid

Quote from: tommytom on February 26, 2015, 06:20:46 PM
Quote from: Geertje123 on February 26, 2015, 09:04:53 AM

Thanks for the tip mate
I don't know if this was a recent change, but I switched from steel from a catastrophic fire and wondered why my powered doors seemed unpowered, but yeah it's just stone doors are slower. Believe wood is slowest.

P.S.
Unpower a stone autodoor and cringe.

Wood is equal to Plasteel and Steel in speed.

You can trivially look at the various door speeds of various materials by looking at their information pages in game.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Cimanyd

Quote from: Boboid on February 26, 2015, 07:05:48 PM
Wood is equal to Plasteel and Steel in speed.

You can trivially look at the various door speeds of various materials by looking at their information pages in game.

Yes, you can, where you can see wood is actually a little faster (for non-powered doors). :P

Looking in god mode, wood has a door opening speed of 120%, steel, plasteel, gold and silver have 100%, uranium has 90%, and stone has 45%. The 100% and 120% autodoors don't slow colonists down at all (don't know about 90%), so a wood autodoor isn't any faster than a steel or plasteel one, it only matters for normal or unpowered doors.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Boboid

! I lied! I think Wood was actually improved in A9, whoops!

A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

tommytom

I would think wood be somewhere between stone/steel or below stone (for balancing purposes anyways).

IIRC, wood = 100% flammability (surprisingly, wooden floors have 0% flammability)
Steel = 20% flammability
Stone = 0% flammability (but slow)
Plasteal = 0% flammability (but fast)

I don't understand why steel is flammabile, but I get the blanacing issue (and exactly why I ran into it). It's too easy to make all steel walls and doors at the start with no trees or crafter/economy to make stone walls/doors.

I guess, currently, I will be using stone walls and steel auto doors then eventually move to plasteel doors.

Didn't even know wood was an option. Not really anyways in my extremely cold biome anyways. I was making wood beds, but have since changed to steel since I have an abundance of that.