Autopsy Table

Started by Snownova, February 27, 2015, 02:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snownova

I've seen people "complain" about how hard it is to get medical skills up, especially without maiming any valuable colonists.

I'd like to suggest adding an autopsy table to the game. At this workstation you can add bills to autopsy corpses and raise medical skill by doing so. The corpses will have to be fresh (so build another freezer!), and once autopsied it is either destroyed or converted into an "autopsied corpse" which yields much less meat than an "intact" corpse.

Autopsies of animal corpses could also be enabled, yielding less medical skill than human corpses of course, and adding an interesting decision as this will cost you valuable meat.

The skill gain should also be capped at, say 7 points. At that point studying dead people should no longer reveal anything new to the pawn, and this will prevent autopsies from being too overpowered.It's more about training field medics rather than neurosurgeons.

skullywag

This isnt a bad idea. Removes a clutter (bodies) has some decision making (meat or medical skill) colour me interested.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

FridayBiology

would require some negative feels for most colonists, as cutting up colonist John Smith may be seen as violating the dead, however necropile colonist Dave Smith may think that it is great fun.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Snownova

Quote from: Feirfec on February 27, 2015, 09:01:57 AM
would require some negative feels for most colonists, as cutting up colonist John Smith may be seen as violating the dead, however necropile colonist Dave Smith may think that it is great fun.

I suppose that could apply to colonist corpses, but I suppose the bill system would be able to distinguish between colonists and outsiders.

cultist

Quote from: Feirfec on February 27, 2015, 09:01:57 AM
would require some negative feels for most colonists
TFW your boss orders you to do unnecessary autopsies. ;_;

Ykara

Well that is great idea for a mod, I'll take a look if I can accomplish to create such a mod ^^

Gennadios

I just can't see an autopsy just for the sake of an autopsy making any sense in the game. Way too much other stuff to do in the colony, you can get neurotrainers, and the only real reason to butcher another human is for food.

I'd love intact organ and bionic harvesting from the freshly dead, but I'm not sure if the bionics die with the user design decision is set in stone yet.

Ykara

Quote from: Gennadios on February 27, 2015, 02:00:52 PM
I just can't see an autopsy just for the sake of an autopsy making any sense in the game. Way too much other stuff to do in the colony, you can get neurotrainers, and the only real reason to butcher another human is for food.

I'd love intact organ and bionic harvesting from the freshly dead, but I'm not sure if the bionics die with the user design decision is set in stone yet.
Well, I have not found a medicine neurotrainer yet because they're pretty rare and instead of idling around your doctors could cut corpses open. I don't think it's an unecessary idea.

FridayBiology

Quote from: Gennadios on February 27, 2015, 02:00:52 PM

+ 1 for the organ and bionic harvesting

> + 1 for possible tissue harvesting as well.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Gennadios

Quote from: Ykara on February 27, 2015, 02:05:38 PM
Well, I have not found a medicine neurotrainer yet because they're pretty rare and instead of idling around your doctors could cut corpses open. I don't think it's an unecessary idea.

The concept of a frontier world is that every day is a fight for survival and actions need to fill a concrete, immediate role. Every minute a medic spends trying to figure out which of the 9 bullet wounds killed his subject is a minute they're not sowing seeds, harvesting, or helping build defenses. I'm all for the idea of an autopsy table if it lets the player supplement income by harvesting organs or recycling prosthetics, but an autopsy alone is too cheezeable and too much of a one-shot idea.

Plus, it seems like most early game caputres in A9 are now tribals and very few of them have any interest in shooting. Most of my early hunters were melee and personal shields don't work while hunting (that should get looked at,) there should be plenty of work for the colony medic when the Muffalo herd comes through town.

CodyRex123

Quote from: Gennadios on February 27, 2015, 09:58:56 PM
Quote from: Ykara on February 27, 2015, 02:05:38 PM

The concept of a frontier world is that every day is a fight for survival and actions need to fill a concrete, immediate role. Every minute a medic spends trying to figure out which of the 9 bullet wounds killed his subject is a minute they're not sowing seeds, harvesting, or helping build defenses. I'm all for the idea of an autopsy table if it lets the player supplement income by harvesting organs or recycling prosthetics, but an autopsy alone is too cheezeable and too much of a one-shot idea.

Plus, it seems like most early game caputres in A9 are now tribals and very few of them have any interest in shooting. Most of my early hunters were melee and personal shields don't work while hunting (that should get looked at,) there should be plenty of work for the colony medic when the Muffalo herd comes through town.

The shield wouldn't make sense if it worked while hunting, IT ONLY WORKS FOR RANGED, it doesn't block any melee attacks and atleast my colonists don't tend to shoot each other, so it makes no sense..
Sorry, i got a little angry there.
Dragons!

Gennadios

Quote from: CodyRex123 on February 27, 2015, 10:17:56 PM
The shield wouldn't make sense if it worked while hunting, IT ONLY WORKS FOR RANGED, it doesn't block any melee attacks and atleast my colonists don't tend to shoot each other, so it makes no sense..
Sorry, i got a little angry there.

Oh, it's one of those Mass Effect style shields? That explains the rampant muffalo tramplings. And scythers.

ITypedThis

Definitely. One thing that I often find myself thinking is "which one of these injuries was the most lethal?" Or similarly "which one of his nine gunshots killed him?" Knowing the wound that killed the pawn could potentially be very valuable information. For example, if most of one's colonists were lost to damage done by longswords, one would be able to potentially reduce the number of casualties by better knowing how to defend their colonists.

Also it makes me curious how a pawn died when I look at their long list of injuries.

cultist

Quote from: Gennadios on February 27, 2015, 11:02:20 PM
Oh, it's one of those Mass Effect style shields?
Hnnnghh... *suppresses forum nerd-rage*

Snownova

Quote from: Gennadios on February 27, 2015, 09:58:56 PM
Every minute a medic spends trying to figure out which of the 9 bullet wounds killed his subject is a minute they're not sowing seeds, harvesting, or helping build defenses.

This is exactly why it's a good thing. It presents the player with a real choice.

Also perhaps I should have used the term dissect instead of autopsy. The point of the autopsy table is to train your medics, not to determine a cause of death. Its just for your colonists to practice cutting on dead bodies rather than living colonists, so that they make surgical cuts into the right bodyparts (I'm looking at you redfields!)