Colony Elections

Started by Zuban Artig, February 27, 2015, 07:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zuban Artig

What if the pawns would sit down each year or two, to elect a colony mayor. Maybe there is a short period of election campaigning, and the candidate with the most social skill and candidates who were politicians in their former life would get bonusses.
I don't really know how it would influence the game if you had a colony mayor, other than more stories for art, but I think this would be a cool idea.

Maybe the hapiness could rise if the mayor tends to the promises he made before elections. Or he could get a negotiaton bonus as official representative of the colony.

cultist

I like the idea of a leader figure pawn, whether it's a mayor or something else. A group of people in your colonists' shoes would probably want an official leader, if for no other reason so they have someone to blame when the freezer is empty and raiders are kncoking down the walls.

JimmyAgnt007

A general mood bonus for leaders with a good warden skill.  I dont think specific promises would be good just a more abstract, how happy have people been with this person in charge. 

Sartain

An elected leader could be fun. Would also open up for a mental break where someone decides getting rid of the mayor is best for the colony :)

Zuban Artig

Quote from: Sartain on February 27, 2015, 01:57:42 PM
Would also open up for a mental break where someone decides getting rid of the mayor is best for the colony :)

That's a great idea.

Maybe all the colonists also could get a bonus for the best skill the mayor has.
If they elected a doctor, everybody get's a health bonus, if they elected a constructor, buildings are cheaper to build, faster to build or have slightly more hitpoints.

MrSurvivor

This would be really great also in that there could be like a struggle of power in the colony and there could be like less productive people because they are quarreling and stuff

Gennadios

Politics don't feel viable or necessary at this stage of the game. A population of two dozen is generally hard to get and the RNG will try it's best to kill you if you get that high anyway.

Small populations don't need government. The member of the population that knows the most on the topic at hand generally takes charge, with maybe a little bit of extra privilege given to the best fighter, who takes over defense issues.

cultist

Quote from: Gennadios on February 27, 2015, 08:49:02 PM
Small populations don't need government. The member of the population that knows the most on the topic at hand generally takes charge, with maybe a little bit of extra privilege given to the best fighter, who takes over defense issues.

I disagree, although calling it a government is also maybe setting the bar a bit high. Human beings in dire straits (and with a minimum of social skills) tend to defer to the strongest or most charismatic person in the group, or just the person who seems to have at least some control over the situation. We're not solitary animals, and part of being in a group of people is accepting a hierarchy, whether it is a soft or a hard one.

Zuban Artig

Quote from: Gennadios on February 27, 2015, 08:49:02 PM
Politics don't feel viable or necessary at this stage of the game. A population of two dozen is generally hard to get and the RNG will try it's best to kill you if you get that high anyway.

It's not so much about what's necessary, but about what makes the better story. A whole bunch of election based and mayor based events would be possible too. Political art. Maybe even a political storyteller. I think I would enjoy something like that.

Sorenzo

Instead of a formal political process, you could have some colonists become "leader candidates", essentially alpha males (due to high fighting or social skills, or due to being former politicians or nobles). If there's only one character who tries to fill the role as leader, he assumes it without any protestations. This could yield benefits for the colony. If more than one character tries to be the head honcho, the colonists might form into factions and get penalties (like faction members getting negative social interaction). Mental breakdowns could lead members of one faction to attack the leader, or even other members, of another faction.
Then you'd also have a bunch of undecided colonists who justifiably think the power struggle is stupid.

Gameplay wise, this would all have the effect of making the player want colonists with high leadership potential, so they'll have at least one that wants to lead, but avoid too many "alpha males" lest conflict is brewed. And if a conflict does occur, the player may choose to keep two factions separated, with separate dormitories and work areas.

This whole suggestion reminds me of the first season of the Walking Dead, with the main character informally assuming a leadership role due to his former profession (sheriff). He eventually leaves his former friend to get eaten during an escape, and another guy is left handcuffed to a roof. Both men had caused the protagonist serious headaches and leadership crises.
In Rimworld terms, I imagine arresting a competing faction leader, or delaying his medical care after a fight, to prevent soldiers and workers who like that faction leader to revert to supporting the colony leader... Lest they lose their heads one day and stage a coup.

Zuban Artig

That's some great ideas there. Thanks!

Vagabond

Quote from: Sorenzo on March 03, 2015, 07:07:20 AM
Instead of a formal political process, you could have some colonists become "leader candidates", essentially alpha males (due to high fighting or social skills, or due to being former politicians or nobles). If there's only one character who tries to fill the role as leader, he assumes it without any protestations. This could yield benefits for the colony. If more than one character tries to be the head honcho, the colonists might form into factions and get penalties (like faction members getting negative social interaction). Mental breakdowns could lead members of one faction to attack the leader, or even other members, of another faction.
Then you'd also have a bunch of undecided colonists who justifiably think the power struggle is stupid.

Gameplay wise, this would all have the effect of making the player want colonists with high leadership potential, so they'll have at least one that wants to lead, but avoid too many "alpha males" lest conflict is brewed. And if a conflict does occur, the player may choose to keep two factions separated, with separate dormitories and work areas.

This whole suggestion reminds me of the first season of the Walking Dead, with the main character informally assuming a leadership role due to his former profession (sheriff). He eventually leaves his former friend to get eaten during an escape, and another guy is left handcuffed to a roof. Both men had caused the protagonist serious headaches and leadership crises.
In Rimworld terms, I imagine arresting a competing faction leader, or delaying his medical care after a fight, to prevent soldiers and workers who like that faction leader to revert to supporting the colony leader... Lest they lose their heads one day and stage a coup.

+1. Gold.

Cheers,
Michael

Donutking00

Gemeciusz

Even if not a proper government, but it would be nice to give people unique positions in the colony, like chief doctor, head of colonial defense, architectural supervisor, mining foreman, and so on...  These would give a 2-3 point mood bonus for the holder of the title and some very small % faster learning rate of that specific skill to everyone else in a say 10 tile radius.

Sorenzo

Yeah... We assign these kinds of roles anyway, so they might as well take some pride in their work. ;)

One could argue that this already is how the learning process works, though. But there's no real "leader" or "organizer" or "administrator" job. Just your nobles who refuse to do anything but hunt, which, I suppose, is pretty realistic. :)