[A14d] Wave Survival Mode (v. 1.0 - July 27)

Started by Justin C, February 27, 2015, 02:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin C

Less grinding. Less downtime. More action!

I've had this idea bouncing around in my head since before I finished Zombie Apocalypse, but I burned out before I got around to working on it. My recent renewed motivation led me to experiment with a couple of the ideas I had, and when the first pieces fell into place it motivated me to finish most of this mod in one long stretch. So here it is: an entire new game mode for RimWorld.

Description:
Wave Survival Mode is designed to be more fast-paced and combat-focused than the standard game. This mode allows you to skip most of the tedious early-game resource grinding and slow buildup of vanilla RimWorld. Build your base quickly and then defend it from wave after wave of raiders until your colony inevitably collapses spectacularly.

Features:
Fast Buildup
- When you start the game you will have 5 1/2 days to build up your base before the first wave hits. Use this time to bunker-down and make sure you are in a location that you can defend from invaders.

Waves of Raiders
- Once the raids begin you will be raided every 48 in-game hours.
- Raids start out small and grow at a steady pace with each wave. The raid sizes are determined by the number of waves you have survived, instead of the wealth of your colony.
- A timer counts down the exact time until the next wave, so you always know exactly how long you have to prepare.
- Every 4th wave will be a special raid, which can be either sappers, siegers, wargs or an animal psychic wave.

Resource Drops and Reinforcements
- Resource drops happen every 12 in-game hours. These resource drops bring you random amounts of building materials, enough food to keep your colonists fed, and occasional medicine, weapons and silver.
- New colonists will join on occasion to help you out. The lower your population is, the more likely you are to get reinforcements.
- Traders happen very frequently.

No Non-Combat Incidents
- All non-raider incidents are disabled. No eclipses, solar flares, or psychic drones to disrupt your defenses right in time for a raid. When you lose it won't be because the RNG had it in for you. You will die knowing you fought as hard as you could have.

No Interference With Standard Games
- Select the Wave Survival storyteller to play a Wave Survival game, or any other storyteller to play a standard game. Having this mod installed will not affect standard games in any way.

Screenshots:

Special thanks to Philbro for the awesome Storyteller artwork. To see more of Philbro's work you can check out his DeviantArt page:
http://philbro.deviantart.com/

Download:

Steam Workshop Download

Mod Compatibility:
This mod should work fine with any mod factions or items, but the storyteller will not run mod incidents.

Try My Other Mods
Zombie Apocalypse - Everything's better with zombies!
(Not really compatible with Wave Survival Mode. The mods will work together, but the zombie waves will happen randomly like they do in a standard game of RimWorld.)

Feel free to put suggestions in this thread. Bugs can be posted here or in a private message.

This looks a-w-e-s-o-m-e period. Will absolutely give it a run for the money later today :D
I can definitely imagine this in later Vanilla.

HBKRKO619

TheSilencedScream

**** yes.

Edit: Is it possible to still evac and end the game? Would be a fun challenge... "Get to da choppa shuttle!"
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Justin C

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on February 27, 2015, 05:26:15 PM
**** yes.

Edit: Is it possible to still evac and end the game? Would be a fun challenge... "Get to da choppa shuttle!"
Yup, ship building is still in the game. I just don't expect anyone to actually live that long unless they play on easy.

I considered removing ship building but I didn't want to make any changes in the mod that would affect normal games. I want it to be the kind of mod that people can install and forget about, and be able to switch between a normal game or a wave survival game at will without having to mess with mod settings.

TheSilencedScream

I do appreciate that you're keeping it in.
I don't expect it to be easy, but I'm interested in seeing if I can pull it off. :)
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

zebransay

I can't seem to download from nexusmods. Is it possible for you to upload it somewhere else? I really want to try this mod.

WarlordToby

Dear god... It's so beautiful! Thanks for making this mod! I have waited for such mod like this where i can build a fortress instead of economic colony! Wonder if there could be a medieval mode where enemies would have longswords and bows with shiny knight armours.

Latta

Hey, this is something! I'm on my 9th wave and it's real fun. I don't have to care about anything complex!

Zuban Artig

Asfalto

So it should trigger raids from GlitterTech, zombies, and so on?

Latta

It seems like I can't load any saved game with this storyteller. I'll try to figure out if it's caused by conflict with other mods.

michal3588

Quote from: Latta on February 28, 2015, 01:00:42 PM
It seems like I can't load any saved game with this storyteller. I'll try to figure out if it's caused by conflict with other mods.
Same here. Close the game and then load. Loading from main menu still works.

I've just tested mod and it's great. But waves should be much bigger. I'm playing on 160% and in 57th wave there was ~17 pirates. Tribes comes in little bigger numbers but still nothing to be worry about. I`ve been expecting real Survival Mode. But instead of that there is powerful 'inside the mountain' base standing against 10-20  enemies :p.
Where are those hordes of ruthless pirates?!
I NEED MOOOOAR!
:)

zebransay

I'm not sure if it's the mods that I'm using but sometimes when it's time for the pirates to come, nothing happens. I'm also not getting that many reinforcements and I'm not getting food or medicine from the resource drops.