Give us time to save someone on death's door?

Started by CreepyD, February 27, 2015, 03:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

Quote from: lusername on February 28, 2015, 02:34:24 AM
The real question is why you wastefully harvest someone's entire liver. Livers have this interesting property of being the only organ that can regenerate even if most of it is lost. Harvest half of their liver and it will grow back, so you can harvest it again.

But then you only get a useless, half liver harvested. I'm guessing it's probably not going to regenerate once it has been removed from any source of nutrients aka the body. And with no way to attach it to another body in order to collect nutrients to regrow, what is the point?

CreepyD

Some interesting thoughts here.
I also saw mentioned about harvesting organs - I haven't bothered so far since people being hit in the heart / liver / brain etc are generally killed in 1 shot anyway.
I never thought about infection, but it's much cheaper to buy medicine than replacement organs.

Headshotkill

Quote from: CreepyD on February 27, 2015, 03:31:53 PM
The only instant death should be the brain.

I don't think so, yesterday I had one of my best colonists shot in the brain, somehow it barely didn't kill him but the price for it was very high.

-50% to all senses, speaking, manipulation, moving, ...

The once great colonist leading negociations and hunting-missions now has been degraded to the calm life of a cook. Barely leaving the colony and suffering from mild cabin fever which I interpret as him thinking of his glory days in the past.

erebus2075

personally after last patch it feels like people die a lot easier on your own side :/

i feel like people die WAY too randomly, sometimes i have enemies shot like 10 times+ still not downed, and others i get hit ONCE and instantly dead o.O
it just seems stupid and silly.

depending on the weaponry no shot should instantly kill you..

i think the downing mechanic should be used A LOT! more and people should die from lack of care, bloodloss, lack of organ transplant etc.
even shots through the head should be ok if you had a bionic brain or something to suff in your colonist, considering the other impossible stuff you can do ;)

CodyRex123

Does brain damage only slow down the colonist?
Cause if that the case.. it sorta makes sense, but you would think they would forget how to do things or be unable to do things.
Dragons!

tommytom

Depends on the severity. You can have a "vegetable" if it gets damaged too much, or instantly dead, or simply slowed. I don't think there is a degree of slowed/damage though, but I haven't had anyone but a vegetable from brain damage.

woolfoma

Quote from: lusername on February 28, 2015, 02:34:24 AM
The real question is why you wastefully harvest someone's entire liver. Livers have this interesting property of being the only organ that can regenerate even if most of it is lost. Harvest half of their liver and it will grow back, so you can harvest it again.
because it doesn't grow back perfectly, meaning you can only split the liver into two livers, and they will heal, but not again into 4 (maybe, but it can cause problems)
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

lusername

Quote from: woolfoma on March 03, 2015, 12:10:20 AM
because it doesn't grow back perfectly, meaning you can only split the liver into two livers, and they will heal, but not again into 4 (maybe, but it can cause problems)
But it does! That's actually how it is done in real life when livers are donated, you donate a part of a liver and both parts grow back, so everyone has a liver. The liver is unique among organs for its ability to regenerate if even a relatively small percentage remains intact.

CodyRex123

It would give us a reason to keep a veg alive...
Dragons!

tommytom

Quote from: CodyRex123 on March 03, 2015, 09:44:24 AM
Heh.
-25 moodlet for "using colonist to grow organs"

StorymasterQ

Quote from: tommytom on March 03, 2015, 05:50:15 PM
Quote from: CodyRex123 on March 03, 2015, 09:44:24 AM
Heh.
-25 moodlet for "using colonist to grow organs"
One word: bioponics.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

CodyRex123

Now we can run our own ORGAN FARMS!
Actually, i think that should be a thing, if you get a certain type of body part, and have it put in someone, it can regrow when taken out and such, i always thought of it as a thing that was put in someones blood to have the organs regrow.
Dragons!

ZestyLemons

Quote from: lusername on March 03, 2015, 01:13:15 AM
Quote from: woolfoma on March 03, 2015, 12:10:20 AM
But it does! That's actually how it is done in real life when livers are donated, you donate a part of a liver and both parts grow back, so everyone has a liver. The liver is unique among organs for its ability to regenerate if even a relatively small percentage remains intact.

Actually, I found this quote from a liver doner:

"Living liver donor here. There is a bit of an anatomical issue. Your liver is split into two lobes, one on the right, one on the left. The hepatic artery, vein and bile duct all branch with one leg going to each lobe. When you donate, they take one lobe, along with it's branches of each connection to connect to the recipient's anatomy. Your remaining lobe then quickly swells to fill the space, giving you the same volume of liver, but you never get the other lobe back."

Liver donations would be a neat operation and game feature, but kinda complicated in code since it's only really safe to donate your liver once.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.