Mod request: Animal breeding

Started by 10001110, February 27, 2015, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We already have fence mods, now we just need to capture some critters, throw them inside a pen built over grassy fertile ground, and with the help of some crafty genetic engineering and ingenuity (Research topic, unlocks fast animal breeding research, critter steroids research, fast-grow critter feeded, critter steroid dispenser, critter food, and critter dump treatment), we can have our own critter farm!
Them critters would mainly feed off the grass, occasionally munching on the critter feeder treat for that growth boost, or, when it gets snowy, for food. The Steroid dispenser would have one hopper attached for Xerigium, the critter feeder would have a hopper attached for whatever food we choose to put on it (potatoes, rice or corn)
Boomrats could not be slaughtered due the hazardous consequence upon death, but can be herded, to create organic critter traps for enemies - a boomrat joint right at the entrance to the compound, ready to blow up in much lolz and roflz tears. Every other critter would have a baby version. Baby critters can not be slaughtered until they reach adulthood (how so cruel!). Critter joints can only be built outside in fertile soil, so the flies and mosquitoes can have somewhere to rest that is not a colonist, and of course, critter dumps would have extra aroma inside, and need to be cleaned as well, maybe a cleaner without nose could do it, but they're hard to come by. Those dumps could be thrown in an optional special machine that would turn that stuff into fertilizer, to be used in agriculture, or just dumped somewhere else to gross out attackers and make them throw up all over the place. And also make colonists throw up if they see those big piles of ****, unless they're complete Psychos.
This would actually make the "clear snow" feature useful, and much necessary, or the critters will die unless they're Muffalos. Building those pens near a water source would provide a small growth bonus to the pen grass and critters. A moat would also do the trick, not much water in desert areas, but moats can magically spawn water, and would be essential in desert areas.

I could go on forever, but i'll leave the rest to collective imagination.

Facepunch

I *think*, Im not at all sure, but I *think* that it was said somewhere that Husbandry couldn't be a thing, it'd be too hard or something. I read something about it on a request nearly-identical to yours.

MsMeiriona

Which is odd, since there was an animal husbandry mod, it just hasn't been updated in a while...

Yep :( odd how we can build generators and spaceships, but cant gather a few critters around. I think it's so funny when someone mentions "realism" in RW :D

KnucklyDuck

I have plans for a FarmWorld mod more or less, in which you could purchase animals from traders or have a VERY VERY small chance of having them appear naturally. Not sure what to do in-depth with it though, you'd have to feed them and they'd grow fat and you could butcher them for sure. However husbandry would be a good idea, I could see it happening however I'm still quite new to .dll modding which this would most certainly entail a LOT of I feel. I'll keep in in mind, how about giving a thorough in-depth list of features you'd like to see?

-KnucklyDuck
Why do Java programmers have glasses?
Because they can't C#.

Quote from: KnucklyDuck on March 02, 2015, 11:16:28 PM
I have plans for a FarmWorld mod more or less, in which you could purchase animals from traders or have a VERY VERY small chance of having them appear naturally. Not sure what to do in-depth with it though, you'd have to feed them and they'd grow fat and you could butcher them for sure. However husbandry would be a good idea, I could see it happening however I'm still quite new to .dll modding which this would most certainly entail a LOT of I feel. I'll keep in in mind, how about giving a thorough in-depth list of features you'd like to see?

-KnucklyDuck
It wouldn't need to be as complicated as the cool story in the OP, keeping it simple would already be great.
Nerfing the idea a bit, hoarding them critters could be done in a similar way as capturing stunned pawns, and then haul them to a closed area, with a sun light, controlled temperature and some hydroponic tables for them to feed (critters already eat food laying around?). 2 similar critters would spawn 1 after eating a certain amount, and keep population up, and to tag them for the knife.
The main idea would be to exchange vegetables for meat, keeping more or less a 1/1 ratio.