A request for you Tynan...

Started by Gravemore, February 28, 2015, 07:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gravemore

I've been a gamer since i've been around 8 years old, 7th of march I hit 35; i've played many many many games, but very few I can remember make me lose time as much as this one (perhaps some of the old simcities, or frontier elite, not many others)

My request... Would it be possible to add the option to show a clock at the top right of the screen? (or anywhere for that matter) I mean a local time (real life, heh) clock.

Anyways thanks In advance if you get a chance to read this or not :)

onixbg

Options:
a. Place a clock on your desk.
b. If there are no clocks in your home go buy one from a dollar store.
c. Play in windowed mode and see time from your desktop.
d. Use your phone to see the time.
e. If you are to play until a certain time set alarm on your phone.

In my opinion there is enough stuff around the game display as it is so I am against this idea.

Gravemore

Quote from: onixbg on February 28, 2015, 08:59:21 AM
Options:
a. Place a clock on your desk.
b. If there are no clocks in your home go buy one from a dollar store.
c. Play in windowed mode and see time from your desktop.
d. Use your phone to see the time.
e. If you are to play until a certain time set alarm on your phone.

In my opinion there is enough stuff around the game display as it is so I am against this idea.

it's 4 tiny little digital numbers, and note i said the 'option' to... thanks for the a-e though x :)

loc978

You could always just run it windowed. I've always got the time in the lower right for that reason.

tommytom

There are "overlay" programs that can do stuff like this already. I wouldn't mind the option in the game though.

You culd probably use overwolf (don't know if it specifically has time), Steam by adding it as a non-steam game, or I think there was an overlay program with MSI AfterBurner that showed tons of stuff (cpu, ram, clocks, etc) including the time.

Edit:
Also, wrong place for "suggestions". There is a section for that by the same name.

Tynan

It's not a bad feature request. Thanks. I'll write it down.

Also, I'll move it to the Suggestions forum. Please keep threads in the right places!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

tommytom

Quote from: Tynan on February 28, 2015, 05:15:11 PM
I sometimes wonder if you literally write down notes when you say that.
Is there literally hand-written stickies and papers upon papers tacked to your walls with notes of things to do?

Tynan

No I keep a todo list in a Google Docs, as well as an ideas reservoir. I write it into one of those.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Justin C

Here's something to hold you over until Alpha 10.

http://i.imgur.com/4ycc5Jw.jpg

When I read the suggestion it seemed like something that could be done quickly using the Alert system, so I just hacked it a bit and made a clock.

[attachment deleted due to age]

REMworlder

Nice fix! You should put it in the tech tree too :P

tommytom

Quote from: Justin C on February 28, 2015, 06:35:57 PM

When I read the suggestion it seemed like something that could be done quickly using the Alert system, so I just hacked it a bit and made a clock.
Niceeeee. I'll give it a whirl.

Gravemore

Awesome mate!! As close to hard coded as you could get, at first i was like "wtf" when i installed it.. dumbass me didn't realise it updated every global tick of the updates :) great job man.

Gravemore

Quote from: Tynan on February 28, 2015, 05:15:11 PM

Also, I'll move it to the Suggestions forum. Please keep threads in the right places!

And cheers Tynan, i know there's prob WAAAY more important stuff to do than this, but just an idea ^

tommytom

I get error log spam of "Alignment was MiddleCenter at end of frame." with this mod enabled. Goes away after disabling.

Edit:
Yowza.
Also, thie breaks the whole UI (at least overview).

Only way to recover is to disable the mod and completely close the game. Simply load an old save still has the problem. Loading the same save after reloading the game completely fixes it.

Too hacky for me. Oh well.

Justin C

Quote from: tommytom on March 02, 2015, 09:56:31 PM

I get error log spam of "Alignment was MiddleCenter at end of frame." with this mod enabled. Goes away after disabling.

Edit:
Yowza.
Also, thie breaks the whole UI (at least overview).

Only way to recover is to disable the mod and completely close the game. Simply load an old save still has the problem. Loading the same save after reloading the game completely fixes it.

Too hacky for me. Oh well.
After fooling around I managed to get that to happen to me once with the version I posted here. I'm not sure how to reliably get it to throw the error but I know why it's throwing the error.

Nobody else seems to have gotten any errors so it must only cause problems in rare circumstances

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11047.0

Try that version.

The "hacky" part of it is (other than the fact that the alert system isn't designed for this at all) that I have to set the height of the rect it returns to 0 to prevent it from making an empty space with the alerts, where the game thinks its being drawn. But that has nothing to do with this error.