Water system (Toilets and showers etc)

Started by wesleydeman, February 28, 2015, 08:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesleydeman

I have a idea that you can build toilets, showers and sinks etc.

This would add the need to get a water system in the game, like with the current electrical system, something like that.
You would need to build for example water pumps and connect water pipes to stuff that needs water. Also you could build water containers to store water.

This system could also add some more depth for the colonists, as when they work they could get dirty over time, and get a negative mood effect if they don't take a shower or wash their hands, something like that. It could also be a option that they need to get to the toilet once in a while after eating a few dinners, and also get a negative mood effect if they need to go to the toilet.

bordas1234

water system is a very good idea, would make the game more realistic but i dont like the idea of having shower and toilets because it take a considerable time to feed them and make them rest and if you include this things would make the colonist less productive than they are.

b0rsuk

Having to wash, use toilet would increase colony micromanagement. Suddenly you'd have to solve toilet bottlenecks and set toilet priorities in Overview.

I like water tanks for drinking and maybe watering fields, but but again you'd have to make sure colonists have stuff to drink, and don't miss their drink. Humans need to drink more often than eat, and colonists already eat about once a day. What about long expeditions for wood etc ? Implement canteens ?

Mckee

So, for a water system, the following might work:

Collecting water -
Building collectors outside (like solar panels) since we already have rain in game. Collectors have a base rate of collection (based on biome perhaps) as well as collecting a great deal more when it rains.
Having springs, on which you can build pumps (like geothermals we currently have for power)
A workstation that can be set to gather water from natural sources (snow, surface water, untapped springs) as well as boiling water.
Would generate a job for the pawn and produce 'bottled' water, that can be drunk like beer. If the skill of a pawn is too low, might produce an effect similar to food poisoning when said bottle is drunk.

Storage -
A storage tank that operates the same as a nutrient dispenser, can be plumbed into the water collectors. Needs power and is automated.
It could also treat water (so avoiding boiling the stuff) dispenses bottled water
Bottled water could be carried or brought to other characters, stored for later use. Basically like food and beer currently.

Pipes - Operate the same way cables do, some items 'connect' in the same way as wiring currently works (representing smaller hoses/pipes that are smaller than your water mains), some have to be directly connected (particularly dispensers and collectors/pumps)

Utility -
Sprinklers could be installed to boost crop growth. needs power.
Showers use clean water, need power. Gives colonists a positve mood and maybe a slight increase of rest. Also, clean colonists are less likely to get infected wounds.
Fire suppression - needs power, will cover an area in water if a fire starts nearby. Water could cause problems for electronics. Fire is currently very dangerous, something that can protect against it would be ideal.

New director events -
Pipes outside in low temperatures could freeze and burst, causing flooding if not repaired before it thaws
Damaged pipes/dispensers could leak, spilling water in greater or smaller quantities
Faulty fire alarms could set off when there's no fire, dowsing everything/everyone with water
Droughts and rainy seasons (massively reduce or increase rainfall)
Nasty waterborne diseases, especially if desperate pawns drink from untreated surface water.

wesleydeman

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 28, 2015, 09:03:20 AM
Having to wash, use toilet would increase colony micromanagement. Suddenly you'd have to solve toilet bottlenecks and set toilet priorities in Overview.

I like water tanks for drinking and maybe watering fields, but but again you'd have to make sure colonists have stuff to drink, and don't miss their drink. Humans need to drink more often than eat, and colonists already eat about once a day. What about long expeditions for wood etc ? Implement canteens ?

Yes, you are right. It was a rough idea I was thinking about while playing the game.

Quote from: Mckee on February 28, 2015, 10:30:04 AM
So, for a water system, the following might work:

Collecting water -
Building collectors outside (like solar panels) since we already have rain in game. Collectors have a base rate of collection (based on biome perhaps) as well as collecting a great deal more when it rains.
Having springs, on which you can build pumps (like geothermals we currently have for power)
A workstation that can be set to gather water from natural sources (snow, surface water, untapped springs) as well as boiling water.
Would generate a job for the pawn and produce 'bottled' water, that can be drunk like beer. If the skill of a pawn is too low, might produce an effect similar to food poisoning when said bottle is drunk.

Storage -
A storage tank that operates the same as a nutrient dispenser, can be plumbed into the water collectors. Needs power and is automated.
It could also treat water (so avoiding boiling the stuff) dispenses bottled water
Bottled water could be carried or brought to other characters, stored for later use. Basically like food and beer currently.

Pipes - Operate the same way cables do, some items 'connect' in the same way as wiring currently works (representing smaller hoses/pipes that are smaller than your water mains), some have to be directly connected (particularly dispensers and collectors/pumps)

Utility -
Sprinklers could be installed to boost crop growth. needs power.
Showers use clean water, need power. Gives colonists a positve mood and maybe a slight increase of rest. Also, clean colonists are less likely to get infected wounds.
Fire suppression - needs power, will cover an area in water if a fire starts nearby. Water could cause problems for electronics. Fire is currently very dangerous, something that can protect against it would be ideal.

New director events -
Pipes outside in low temperatures could freeze and burst, causing flooding if not repaired before it thaws
Damaged pipes/dispensers could leak, spilling water in greater or smaller quantities
Faulty fire alarms could set off when there's no fire, dowsing everything/everyone with water
Droughts and rainy seasons (massively reduce or increase rainfall)
Nasty waterborne diseases, especially if desperate pawns drink from untreated surface water.

Very nice thinking about how the system could be, I like how you thought it out!
+1

Mckee

Cheers.

Something similar to the energy system and existing workshops cuts down on the work for Tynan and is fairly easy to learn/intuit as a player.

Maybe some water cannons for serious fire fighting/hosing down the savages too :D

cultist

I like it.

My mind is going to strange places, like nobles with gold toilets and "does this mean sieging raiders are going to crap all over my map?"

kingtyris

I too want a water system. Tynan has said before that tying rainfall to growth rates would take too much time, but the way he described at the time (tracking water saturation of each individual tile) Is overly complicated. I say just keep a timer of the length between rainfall events, and if it exceeds a given threshold give outdoor plants a global 'Drought' debuff. A sprinkler system tied to the water system could counter this.

As for plumbing, maybe replace 'coduit walls' with 'Utility walls' that contain both pipes and conduits. Or maybe have utility walls, plain walls, piped walls AND conduit walls. It would be a lot more wall options cluttering the structure screen, but I could see the benefit of have so many micro management options.

I don't want my pawns to have to shower, but needing to use the toilet is a good idea. And they technically wouldn't even NEED a toilet; a toilet would just be a convenient waste disposal tool within the home region, whereas far away on the other side of the map most pawns should have no problem with defecating right on the ground, as they wouldn't have to live near it. This would solve a few issues. And maybe before toilets are built, dumping stockpiles could be set to store waste, and pawns would automatically defecate in the nearest appropriate stockpile until toilets are built.

Finally, I have no problem adding a water requirement to food. As for problems with eating and drinking when your pawn is working far away on the other side of the map, I already hope Tynan expands pawn inventories to allow them to carry food items the way visitors and raiders already do.

Johnny Masters

old but gold

Something similar to space's colony hygiene pod would already suffice for an earlier non-system/complex feature.

Geertje123

I like this idea. +1

The only downside I see to it is that colonist will spend too much time eating, sleeping, showering and going to the toilet, so that there is only little time to do other jobs like building, mining, growing etc.

Johnny Masters

Quote from: Geertje123 on March 01, 2015, 11:47:23 AM
I like this idea. +1

The only downside I see to it is that colonist will spend too much time eating, sleeping, showering and going to the toilet, so that there is only little time to do other jobs like building, mining, growing etc.

Yep, but that's "balancable" by increasing day time, how fast time goes by and/or how long it takes to do stuff. Lets all not forget that besides hygiene we still need recreation and idle time for our pawns. They are not robots, surely they should spend their time resting a couple of hours per day, chatting, playing, smoking or doing whatever it is that people will do 5k years from now when they take 5.

Vagabond

Hello,

I, personally, would love toilets, showers, and water management systems. I build my colonists individual homes, or themed homes (my doctor's office is also my doctor's home; my prison is also my warden's home ect.). The clutter mod introduced a toilet, which I feel obligatory to add to my colonists homes, but I keep wondering when a shower graphic will come in!

Not only can game day length be adjusted (it could be an option that has a default, as well as alterable by the individual player for what they want) via a game time to real life time ratio, but it could also make way for "leisure time". A way to set the amount of hours each each colonist works a day. During their leisure time they can shower, socialize, and do little "fun" things (maybe involving interactive clutter; Ie a arcade machine or pool table type deal, another topic suggested board games, I believe.)

Cheers,
Michael

Sorenzo

Being a history nerd, I feel like water for farming would be pretty relevant. Rivers, wells and qanats for irrigation would add realism in dry regions. :)

Also, rivers could be a major source of disease in tropical areas due to mosquitos and other parasites. It would mean you'd still be required to build a well or qanat into a mountain to prevent these diseases, or treat the water. Perhaps water could be part of the "meal", meaning your kitchen would be the only place to need plumbing? Could simply be tied into the nutrition and food system.

Viceroy

I'd like a water system that includes hydration as a need (which they fulfill when they eat also, even if not particularly thirsty). And even a hygiene and waste system too. It adds more things to build and think about. More things to interact with and have events with.

Things like water mains could be used by modded monsters as means of ingress. And having to plan the base to a more realistic standard would also be great. Putting some more focus on well thought out bases. Especially if you need to direct water from a source, adding another point you need to defend from attack, alleviating some of the killboxing.

Also you could have water borne diseases, irrigation for crops, droughts, waterlogged earth in monsoon season on eastern seaboard jungles...  dehydration for visitors could be solved by charging them 2 silver for a drink at a bar... Loads of possibilities open up. Adding more depth to the game (much like temperature did). And I for one want that increased complexity and depth. Complexity is the reason I bought the game.

It is easy to get into but hard to master, thus good for replayability.
Dog goes moo!

Kegereneku

I'm not against the idea but I fear its execution. Adding item degradation already hit hard micro-management.
So I really don't want to care about plumbing, water, colonist getting thirsty when I've enough trouble keeping the energy flowing with siege happening during an eclipse just after a short-circuit drained my battery.
(even if we get less kamikaze attack wave)

The maximum feature I would suggest would be :
- "Shower pod" (energy only, only used to reduce the risk of disease/infection and moral boost)
- "sprinkler" (energy only, would also be used for crop field)
No water sources needed, just higher energy requirement depending on the biome "water value"
Doing so you also suggest that meal contain water through the same "mean".

Of course for fun the shower pod would ask for its own room or face the "sharing room" syndrome
Potentially a luxury would be to turn geyser into pretty hot bath (replacing shower).
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !