[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undecided

Great stuff as usual!

I know you're busy as it is, but something else you may want to consider sometime down the line is a geothermal heating. Currently geothermal vents release large bursts of heat which can cook small rooms (120C/250F)... but if you wrote some sort of heater placed over geothermal vents that used <heatPushMaxtemperature> to prevent overcooking, it would be possible to have a passively heated base with geothermal holes all over the place.

Of course, you lose the potential electricity that you might get from a geothermal generator instead... so you might have to consider giving it extra <heatpersecond> to make it a better alternative than geothermal generator+heaters. Or maybe a hybrid system that gives some power, and some heat, rather than heat only. Imagine the possibilities!

UMK

Quote from: Undecided on March 09, 2015, 01:17:05 PM
Great stuff as usual!

I know you're busy as it is, but something else you may want to consider sometime down the line is a geothermal heating. Currently geothermal vents release large bursts of heat which can cook small rooms (120C/250F)... but if you wrote some sort of heater placed over geothermal vents that used <heatPushMaxtemperature> to prevent overcooking, it would be possible to have a passively heated base with geothermal holes all over the place.

Of course, you lose the potential electricity that you might get from a geothermal generator instead... so you might have to consider giving it extra <heatpersecond> to make it a better alternative than geothermal generator+heaters. Or maybe a hybrid system that gives some power, and some heat, rather than heat only. Imagine the possibilities!
Already implemented in Industrialisation.

Undecided

Quote from: UMK on March 09, 2015, 01:53:16 PM
And? Are you suggesting he shouldn't make something similar by virtue of it already existing?

Ore mines are also in Industrialization, and there must be at least half a douzen mods with parallel concepts that involve drilling for additional metal. Same for its nuclear power plants and the idea of adding additional metals to the game.

Point is that if something existing is reason enough not to make your own version, the mod community would be dead in the water. Particularly in regards obvious ideas like the aforementioned.

Latta

Quote from: Undecided on March 09, 2015, 02:10:51 PM
And? Are you suggesting he shouldn't make something similar by virtue of it already existing?

Ore mines are also in Industrialization, and there must be at least half a douzen mods with parallel concepts that involve drilling for additional metal. Same for its nuclear power plants and the idea of adding additional metals to the game.

Point is that if something existing is reason enough not to make your own version, the mod community would be dead in the water. Particularly in regards obvious ideas like the aforementioned.
I can't promise anything because I use Industrialization myself! But I can make something between that and the thermal generator. As you said, generates medium power while has a fixed maximum temperature. One problem though: Texture.

Latta

Updated to 20.
Please expect some bugs, as it's the very first release. For known bugs, you can check OP's "Known issues" section. If you do not want to use 'unstable' v20, please use 11b instead. Download of 11b is available too.
Also, code is still in a mess. I'd appreciate if you report any bug or performance issue.

EDIT: Vent equalization rate buff downed to 50% from 100%.

UMK

Quote from: Undecided on March 09, 2015, 02:10:51 PM

You are right. But as programmer I'm trying avoid unnecessary copy-paste. And also, isn't it geotherm already generate enough heat and power to sustain moderate base?
Suggestion: coolers to be more effective than heaters. IRL heat pumps (which are actually coolers) usually have 3 times or more efficiency than resistive heaters (which are actually heaters).

Famous Shoes

2.0 looks really great. I just tried taking it for a spin and couldn't quite get it to work. The issue I saw was that rooms with industrial coolers and heaters had temperature fluctuations of 50C or more and other rooms attached to the network had difficulty reaching target temperatures, perhaps due to those fluctuations. If I had to guess, I'd say it's likely a RimWorld issue, but I thought I'd check if I was doing something wrong.

Also, if I understand this approach, one would need to keep hot and cold ducts separate and never cross the beams, er never cross the ducts. If so, that could make designing layouts tough no?

Anyway, attached is the little test setup I was trying out. The outside temperature was around 15C and the room with the cooler fluctuated ever few seconds from -50C to +10C. The room in the bottom left was set to -30C and stayed around -10C. The room with the heater (the heater being set for +40C) fluctuated from +30C to +70C every few seconds.

Am doing something wrong here?

[attachment deleted due to age]

Latta

Oh, yes. You can't cross cooling line with heating line.
For minor fluctation, if I understood right, is because they push heat every 250 ticks. It's for cutting computer resource usage, and is same for vanilla coolers/heaters. But for such 'dynamic' fluctation of -50 to 10 or going higher temperature than target temperature, I'm not sure yet. I can use my computer in few hour so I'll follow your set up.

EDIT: Might be a bug that duct fans pushing plain net temperature rather than difference with room temperature? Will check soon. Checked

Latta

Here goes a hotfix. I still don't have time to test it in long-term. Please report any issue you see, Thank you. This version can be considered more stable than before.
Mini-credit: Famous Shoes for pointing out some bugs!

Changes:
Fix: Industrial heater's room temperature going too high with AirNet.
Fix: Locked ducts reset after game loading.
Fix: Smart duct fans can't get room's temperature properly.
Mod: Industrial cooler's base strength increased by 10%.
Mod: All vents/fans/hole heat exchange algorithm modified. Now uses solid ticks instead of ticks with hashOffset.
Mod: Vents heat exchange speed increased by 100% as algorithm change caused it to be slow again.
Add: Industrial heater source code.

Quote from: UMK on March 10, 2015, 11:57:19 AM
Suggestion: coolers to be more effective than heaters. IRL heat pumps (which are actually coolers) usually have 3 times or more efficiency than resistive heaters (which are actually heaters).
Yes, resistive heaters aren't so good, but making industrial coolers too effective would break game balance. But I'll buff it even more if needed.

Famous Shoes

All seems well in 2.0b. By the way, did you intend to remove the advanced cooling research project? I didn't see that removal in the release notes so I thought I'd check.

Latta

Quote from: Famous Shoes on March 11, 2015, 09:53:46 AM
All seems well in 2.0b. By the way, did you intend to remove the advanced cooling research project? I didn't see that removal in the release notes so I thought I'd check.
Whoops, did I release this with rapid cooling in it? I decided to remove that until I can come up with more proper research tree.

Famous Shoes

You removed it; I just didn't see it in the release notes so I wanted to check the removal was intentional...

silentlord

ignore me, post is redundant. my answer is research. doh. lol

Famous Shoes

I noodled around with this some more and was wondering if a solution to the "no crossing of the beams" problem--i.e., that designing actual hot and cold duct work is problematic--might be a cross piece that connects east and west together and then north and south, but not east and north, for example. And, straight piece that only connects opposite ends, e.g., only north and south, would allow duct work to be laid adjacent and in parallel. Just some quick (and probably pain in the rear) thoughts.

Darkhymn

So I really, really love the vents. They seem to be an elegant solution to the need for a heater or cooler in every room. However, I really would like to have just those assets added to my game, without the focus on complex industrial heating setups. Any chance of making the vents a separate mini-mod for those of us looking to make primarily small quality of life improvements to a mostly vanilla game?
I'd do it myself if I had the time in my life currently to take up modding a new game.