[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ectoplasm

Thanks for the info.

I've read here and there about how temperature can radiate through walls, but can't find any specific info (no page on the wiki for 'wall insulation', and 'insulation' just shows results for cloth related stuff) Odd post on reddit - but nothing concrete. Is there any definitive numbers on wall insulation?

Because I realise that this is likely why my cooling system isn't being as effective as I hoped.

http://imgur.com/HgejvAA

I have 2 coolers, both set to -200°C, yet the small area to the left where the intake vents are shows roughly -50°C. So all that good coldness must be escaping. I realise airlocks are a thing now too, so will use them next colony..

So back to the question what's the best walls to build with for insulation?
Are triple thick walls better than double? Quad better than triple?
What's the limits here?

Advice gladly taken! Pics of better layouts would be appreciated, if anyone cares to show me how it should be done ;)

Didact04

I've definitely noticed that doubly thick walls will insultate much better than standard. The material used I have not tested for. That sounds like something worth using dev console for.

General consensus seems to be that double walls work, most everywhere I look on youtube and the like I see two layers of wall. I don't know if three would make a difference or not, but considering that pockets of air inside mountains still manage to reach temperatures comparable to the outside temp, I wouldn't say it makes too much of a difference.

Latta

As far as I know, double walls are definitely better than single but triple or more won't make any changes.
Wall stuff does not go into calculations.

asnow

Quote from: Latta on September 26, 2015, 09:53:05 AM
I'm sure that your CCL installation is incorrect.

I may be retarded.
Just re-checked my install, turns out that the mod was inside of another folder inside of the mods folder.

Neal Raven

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on September 25, 2015, 02:48:52 PM
When running the mod I am getting an exception thrown when loading RedistHeat for the textures:

Exception getting RedistHeat.Graphic_MultiDXT5 at Things/Building/AirNet/DuctOutlet: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. --> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path
"/home/ocerminddl1/Games/RimWorld/RimWorld914Linux/Mods/LT_RedistHeat/Textures\/Things/Building/AirNet/DuctOutlet_back.dds".

And etc...  I am curious why there is a \ in the path...
I symlinked the directory "Textures" to "Textures\" and that fixed it, but that pathing needs fixing.  ^.^

I'm having the same issue here, but on Win7.
Error also happens when I only load Core, CCL 0.12.3b and RedistHeat.
Folder structure seems to be in order as far as I can tell.

Tekuromoto

Not sure if this is a bug or something with my mod setup, since no one else has mentioned it yet...

With a new game with all relevant mods up to date I can make RedistHeat buildings right out of the gate - smart duct, active vent, and industrial heaters and coolers - without needing to do the research.

Araxiel2051

Quote from: Tekuromoto on September 30, 2015, 12:06:05 PM
Not sure if this is a bug or something with my mod setup, since no one else has mentioned it yet...

With a new game with all relevant mods up to date I can make RedistHeat buildings right out of the gate - smart duct, active vent, and industrial heaters and coolers - without needing to do the research.

Same "issue" here. The tech is there to research, but I already start off with everything which was really a bit confusing at the beginning.

But my actual question: I don't fully understand how the active vent and the smart outlet work. How smart are they?
E.g.

• Room A is at 10°
  • Room B is at 30°.
  • Room C is at 40°.

• If there is a smart vent between A and B, aiming at B and set at 20°, will it open to let the cold air from Room A into B until B is at 20°, at which point it will close?
  • Will Room A be heated up/is air going to flow in both directions through the smart vent?
  • If there is a smart vent between B and C, aiming at B and set at 20°, will it remain closed, since room C is way hotter?
And I expect the smart vent will behave the same in 1. and 3.

But can I have some conformation how they work? The description lets a lot of to be desired.

Latta

Updated to 42. Fixed all known issues, including:
Quote from: Didact04 on September 26, 2015, 02:35:25 AM
Not sure if it's been reported already, but medium heaters appear to stack on themselves and create a very vibrant spot of light where they were deconstructed. I have to go into dev console and destroy everything in that tile to eliminate the pile of 'medium heater' entities. Not sure if it caused power drain but it's certainly weird. Ghost lights everywhere.
For details, consult GitHub's release info.

Quote from: Araxiel2051 on September 30, 2015, 11:39:13 PM
But my actual question: I don't fully understand how the active vent and the smart outlet work. How smart are they?

Let tA, tB, and tC temperature of each rooms.
1. At the point where tB = 20°C.
2. Yes, because it's "vent".
3. Yes, because there is no way to get closer to 20°C. If tB is higher than tC, say, 50°C, it will open itself while tC is lower than tB.

flankspeed

v42 Broke the exhaust ports on the industrial cooler. They just refuse to link to the cooler now and say "unavailable" while the cooler says exhaust ports "0".

Tried starting a new game...same result.

Can someone else confirm. I want to make sure it's not a problem with the mods I am running.

TheGentlmen

Err, why is the small heater bigger than the medium heater?  :)

Edit: Seems to complicated to change, like textures, and placement and stuff... AUG... PLEASE change it for me! Plz?

TheGentlmen

Quote from: flankspeed on October 04, 2015, 12:35:39 AM
v42 Broke the exhaust ports on the industrial cooler. They just refuse to link to the cooler now and say "unavailable" while the cooler says exhaust ports "0".

Can someone else confirm. I want to make sure it's not a problem with the mods I am running.
Can confirm.

Thorin

Quote from: flankspeed on October 04, 2015, 12:35:39 AM

Ah, I too can confirm the "unavailable" message. That would explain why I have problems with my freezer. Since this is my first time using this mod, I thought that it was normal.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Latta

Dah. Apparently I forgot to change ticker type to normal from rare. Sorry for inconveniences.
New version up. Let me know if the bug persists.

Thorin

Thx Latta, for the quick fix  ;D .

The message is now available and the in between room is at a healthy -46 degrees Celsius.

[attachment deleted due to age]
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Didact04

Not sure what the last patch did but vanilla heaters are utterly unresponsive and remain idle at any and all temperatures. Medium heaters do work normally but I'm loathe to use those, as last patch there was an obnoxious bug where ghost medium heaters would persist and sometimes stack on top of themselves where deconstructed heaters used to be.

Two bugs to choose from, take your pick on which to look at first.