[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tekuromoto

Quote from: Didact04 on October 06, 2015, 01:39:41 AM
Not sure what the last patch did but vanilla heaters are utterly unresponsive and remain idle at any and all temperatures. Medium heaters do work normally but I'm loathe to use those, as last patch there was an obnoxious bug where ghost medium heaters would persist and sometimes stack on top of themselves where deconstructed heaters used to be.

Two bugs to choose from, take your pick on which to look at first.
I believe I can confirm this - none of my vanilla (now "small") heaters are working properly. They show the heating area when clicked on but never seem to produce heat. I generally avoid medium heaters because they're way too expensive to construct at two-and-a-half times the cost of a small heater.

Quote from: Tekuromoto on October 07, 2015, 12:24:30 PM
Not sure what the last patch did but vanilla heaters are utterly unresponsive and remain idle at any and all temperatures. Medium heaters do work normally but I'm loathe to use those, as last patch there was an obnoxious bug where ghost medium heaters would persist and sometimes stack on top of themselves where deconstructed heaters used to be.

I believe I can confirm this - none of my vanilla (now "small") heaters are working properly. They show the heating area when clicked on but never seem to produce heat. I generally avoid medium heaters because they're way too expensive to construct at two-and-a-half times the cost of a small heater.

Can you guys give more details to the problem?  ie, what mods are you running with this?  I use this with my Mountain Temperature mod (which makes heating and cooling mountains a lot more expensive, as you are fighting natural geothermal radiant heat) but all the heaters and coolers work for me.

Edit: brain fart
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

Klaatu

Quote from: Tekuromoto on October 07, 2015, 12:24:30 PM

I can confirm that the small heaters didn't function at all. They were set to 70 degrees in an ice biome, displayed 100 watts, but weren't actually turned on because A) they weren't producing heat, and B) was set to low power consumption. I had to use medium coolers in reverse to work around this issue... AC, in the Ice Biome no less. It was very frustrating since I was streaming this on twitch to demonstrate how to do ice biome, and couldn't remove redistribute heat in order to fix it on the same save without dev mode.

The room was sealed, but the small heaters don't work at all.

Tekuromoto

Quote from: 1000101 on October 07, 2015, 11:25:54 PM
Can you guys give more details to the problem?  ie, what mods are you running with this?
Core
Community Core Library
Community Core Library - Vanilla Tweaks
EdBModOrder
EdBInterface
EdBPrepareCarefully
Additional Joy Objects V2.51
Ancient Amulets V1.01
AnimalHideWorking
Armor Crafting 1.21
AutoHuntBeacon
BackstoriesCore-12.0.0
BiomeSpawnTweak
Bulk_Meals
CaveworldFlora
Craftable Medicines
CrashLanding
Darkness
Embrasures 1.5
EnhancedTabs
Enviro_SK
ESM - MineVein
ExpandedProsthetics&OrganEngineering
Fences
FishIndustry
FlameWeapons-FlameWeapons1.4
GaussWeapons-GaussWeapons1.4
Glass&Lights
Hospitality
LaserWeapons-LaserWeapons1.4
LessIncidentTrolling
LT_ASA
LT_ADogSaid
LT_DoorMat
LT_ExpHistory
LT_Infusion
LT_NoCleaningPlease
LT_RimEffect
LT_Soiling
Mad Skills
Mannable Turrents 1.2.6
Medical Info
Mending_SK
Modular Tables
MorePlanning
More Vanilla Turrets
Pawn State Icons
PlasmaWeapons-PlasmaWeapons1.4
PowerSwitch
ReplacementOrganCrafting 1.2
RTFTJ
RimPharma V1.03
RT Fusebox
T-ExpandedCloth
T-MoreBedsVanilla
T-MoreFloors
ToolsForHaul
Vegetable Garden v3.2
GourmetGarden
Weapon Crafting 1.41
LT_RedistHeat
AutoEquip
AutoEquipInfusion

TheGentlmen

Bug: Small Heater goes Idle without heating.
Steps: Make a room, put a small heater in it, set it to heat to 100C, note how it doesn't heat and is at low power consumption.
Mods:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ModsConfigData>
  <buildNumber>914</buildNumber>
  <activeMods>
    <li>Core</li>
    <li>EdBModOrder</li>
    <li>Community Core Library</li>
    <li>ResearchTree</li>
    <li>ED-Core</li>
    <li>ED-AutoLoader</li>
    <li>Tuff Luck - Best Storyteller</li>
    <li>EdBPrepareCarefully</li>
    <li>EdBInterface</li>
    <li>RW_ResearchInfo-A12d_1d</li>
    <li>RW_EnhancedTabs-12d.4g</li>
    <li>Pawn State Icons</li>
    <li>RW_MedicalInfo-A12d_1b</li>
    <li>VeinMiner</li>
    <li>CombatRealism</li>
    <li>CombatRealism Defence</li>
    <li>MorePlanning</li>
    <li>LT_RedistHeat</li>
    <li>LT_FixBone</li>
    <li>LT_Soiling</li>
    <li>TilledSoil</li>
    <li>LT_Brighten</li>
    <li>LT_ExpHistory</li>
    <li>LT_DoorMat</li>
    <li>ESM - MountainTemp</li>
    <li>ESM - SmoothWall</li>
    <li>Harsher Map Conditions</li>
    <li>HotCold_Biomes</li>
    <li>MiniAMReactor</li>
    <li>HumansLowChanceAgeHediffs</li>
    <li>Weapon Crafting 1.41</li>
    <li>Mannable Turrents 1.2.6</li>
    <li>MedicineKitCrafting 1.4</li>
    <li>BionicReplacementsCrafting 1.2</li>
    <li>NeurotrainerCrafting 1.2</li>
    <li>MIRV Artillery 1.2.6</li>
    <li>ReplacementOrganCrafting 1.2</li>
    <li>Armor Crafting 1.21</li>
    <li>Training Rack 1.0</li>
    <li>NonDecayingStorage 1.0</li>
    <li>PrisonImprovements</li>
    <li>RimBeast</li>
    <li>ED-LaserDrill</li>
    <li>ED-OmniGel</li>
    <li>ED-PersonalNanoShields</li>
    <li>ED-PersonalAnimalShields</li>
    <li>ED-Plants_24H</li>
    <li>ED-OmniGel_24H</li>
    <li>ED-WirelessPower</li>
    <li>ED-Stargate</li>
    <li>Embrasures 1.5</li>
    <li>Miscellaneous_HiRes</li>
    <li>MAI</li>
    <li>SnowMachine</li>
    <li>Darkness</li>
    <li>RaidSanity</li>
    <li>Research Project Example</li>
    <li>Suicide Bomb</li>
    <li>RW_Quick-Start-A12_v1</li>
  </activeMods>
</ModsConfigData>

Pictures:

Upper Rooms (Heater Testing), left to right:

Lower Rooms (Cooler Testing), left to right:

Outdoors:

Ok, I found the problem and made the small change needed to fix the small heaters.

The xml is set for normal ticking, the code is using the rare tick method however, in the rare tick method would never execute properly anyway even if it was set to use it in xml.  Code updated to use normal tick method as is intended.

I have done a PR on github with the changes and am attaching the bugfix I did to this forum post.  Normally I would not do this and let the original author make their own release but those who know Latta know why an update may otherwise be delayed.

Regarding phantom glowers:
These are only really an issue on game load and they self correct (extras delete themselves).  If you have a game where they don't it's probably because you updated the mod from an earlier version mid-game.  If needed, help can be given on how to edit your save to remove the phantom glowers.

On that topic, when updating mods it's always best practice to start a new colony and depending on the mod a new world depending on the scope of the changes in the mod.  This is not a unique phenomenon to RimWorld.  EVERY game is like that.  Update mods, start new game.

[attachment deleted due to age]
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.