[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latta

A fully working heat redistribution package, from massive cooler to air duct systems.

Equalize temperature of every rooms
Build a (lockable) vents to equalize temperature between adjacent rooms. Build massive duct networks of your own and make central heating/cooling system.

Better graphics
Vents and ducts can only be built over a wall, rather than acting as one. No longer clutter your fort's walls with one-cell vents. Small cooler and medium heater, which are also wall mounting, comes with this mod.

More tools
Big bases can use industrial scale heaters and coolers for effectively keeping its temperature.

Source code
GitHub

Can I use this with a modpack I have?
As long as you've installed CCL properly, you can. There might be imbalances but it will work.

Can I upgrade from lower versions? / Can I use this mod with existing colonies?
Upgrading to v42 from lower versions might change research project progressions depends on your mod order.
Also, to install RH on existing colonies, you must first destroy every vents first.

License info
RedistHeat uses this license.

Community Core Library (Required)
Direct
Adf.ly

Special thanks to Kaballah for his active and passionate feedback.

• Please report any.

wyattray

TheSilencedScream

Thanks for the update! I enjoyed the vents in A8, and the vent that you added seems interesting - I'll have to give it a go soon.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

lude

Thanks a bunch! Seems I need to download this and replace my improvised version.

CodyRex123

Didn't the vents in the other mod let air though and even out the tempture, without using power?
Also, how much power does it use?
Dragons!

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: CodyRex123 on March 01, 2015, 12:55:51 PM
Didn't the vents in the other mod let air though and even out the tempture, without using power?

You missed a line. There's two vents - the one you're used to and the (new) powered one.
Only in Rimworld.

CodyRex123

I know that, but how you explained it makes it appear that they act differently, like a cooler, the heated side would always stay heated and the cool would lower, from what i could tell the other mod made temperature even out.
Dragons!

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: CodyRex123 on March 01, 2015, 01:16:58 PM
I know that, but how you explained it makes it appear that they act differently, like a cooler, the heated side would always stay heated and the cool would lower, from what i could tell the other mod made temperature even out.
Wasn't me. ;)
And that's how the new one works - sucking out hot air from a room and putting it in another. The old one still evens out, like you're used to.
Only in Rimworld.

Latta

Quote from: CodyRex123 on March 01, 2015, 12:55:51 PM
It always uses 20W regardless of its state. Its like a cooler, yes, but more like a *passive* one.
Think it like a fan.

Latta

Quote from: carlgraves on December 22, 2014, 04:46:40 AM
WIP
Want to add:
- Research.
- Air ducts (not too sure where to start with this).

- Powered Vents, fans allow 1-way transfer of heat, can be locked.
- Smart Vents, a really low power "passive" heater/cooler. Opens at night too cool down, closes during day to stay cool.
- Water-cooled coolers/freezers, connect to a water source to efficiently cool down your bases
- Uranium powered/infinite heatsource

This is a WIP/TODO section of the original Central Heating. I can add researches anytime(including heat equalization rate maybe) so let's skip this one.

As I'm rewriting Active vents to be smarter, It will hopefully replace smart vents.
I don't know if 1-way vents will have any use when there are already smart(or active) vents.

Air ducts. At first I thought of HeatNet using CompHeatTransmitter/Trader, but what a long codes are they! And my vacation has ended just now. I can't code hard anymore but do more XML stuff.

For water-cooled cooler: I can't think a reasonable way to add a bucket of water as a resource. I can make 'thermal clip'
coolers(Mass Effect style huh) though, that use thermal clips to lower temperature. Any other more elegance solution? Use beer as coolant?

Uranium powered heater? They shouldn't be that hard... :P What makes them hard is to draw a new texture for them.

If you got an idea please tell me. Maybe fire suppression turrets instead of all those sprinklers...

Veyda

Suggestion:

Make Active Vents controllable similarly to the vanilla Cooler (and Heater), except for both heating and cooling -

I.e, say, C is temperature on the 'controlled' side, S is setpoint and O is temperature on the other side, then

if (C < S) & (O > C) then vent is Open.
if (C > S) & (O < C) then vent is Open.
otherwise, or if unpowered, the vent is Closed.

Not having this functionality in an Active Vent is the only thing keeping me from using my geothermal as the only heating source.  8)

[attachment deleted due to age]

CodyRex123

Veyda, It doesn't make sense, You can't control temperature in less you add more temperature, so if you have 120 degrees C, then add another 40 degrees, it won't raise the temperature, it will only lower it seeing as its colder air to the other, Temperature is over a area....
Well, atleast, thats how i see it.
Dragons!

Veyda

It makes perfect sense to me, I just didn't want to type it out in too many words. That's how it would work (in a perfect world):

The vent tries to reach a setpoint temperature the player defined on one side - let's call it an indoor side - by opening and closing, therefore either letting warm air in (if it's warmer outdoors) or letting it out (if it's warmer indoors).

For example, the setpoint is at 22C, temperature indoors is 35C, temperature outdoors is 42C (it's a desert). The vent will remain closed.
Come sundown, the outdoor temperature slowly drops and the vent opens once outdoor temp moves past the indoor temp in the direction of the setpoint (dips under 35C in this case).
Now it's dark and it's -1C outdoors (harsh desert nights). Upon bringing the indoor temp down to the setpoint (22C), the vent closes - because it's too cold outside - and remains closed unless something indoors gives out enough heat to bring the indoor temp above 22C again.
After sunrise, both indoor and outdoor temps start climbing and, once indoor temp goes above 22C again, the vent opens but will only stay open while the outdoor temp is cooler than indoors, and then shut, even if indoor temp is above the setpoint.

This is just a quick & dirty example of the logic I was talking about before, the pseudocode already described the general idea pretty succinctly.

P.S. If I have time, I'll try to look at the ActiveVent code myself to see if it's a real easy fix.

Latta

Quote from: Veyda on March 02, 2015, 07:03:40 PM
P.S. If I have time, I'll try to look at the ActiveVent code myself to see if it's a real easy fix.

It's real easy fix yes, and I can fully understand what you are saying as It's my intention too.

Latta

Quote from: Veyda on March 02, 2015, 11:47:16 AM
if (C < S) & (O > C) then vent is Open.
if (C > S) & (O < C) then vent is Open.
otherwise, or if unpowered, the vent is Closed.

This. Right? It's more smarter now.

Only one problem for Fahrenheit or Kelvin users: How can I get what temperature display mode player is using? My temperature control buttons are now displaying plain string of Celsius.