[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

Quote from: silentlord on March 27, 2015, 08:47:08 AM
how come you have all the, im assuming smart fans and such in the rooms, instead of in the wall?

Yes those are smart fans in each room; you're right, it is more efficient on metal for ductwork and probably power conduit to put the smart fan in the wall rather than take a tile in the room.  I actually started this colony with vanilla heaters and did not think to just dig out one tile for the smart fan, and as I continued to make more rooms I dumbly kept following the original convention (like real world construction expansion happens).

Quote from: Latta on March 27, 2015, 03:44:59 AM
Updated to 22b.
Now both industrials has some beauty penalty, as well as cooler's exhaust port.
Exhaust port's power cost is now 100, increased from 50.

Renamed duct hole to duct opening.
Duct opening's hpr is now 0.1, decreased from 0.5.
Smart fan's hpr is now 0.4, decreased from 0.75.
Powered fan's cost is now 15 steel, decreased from 20. Power cost is 25, decreased from 40.

Neat, thanks for the update!

Kaballah

And here is White Meat with all the smartfans rebuilt to be flush with the walls:

The halls are now heated, which is why certain rooms appear to have two smartfans (one of those two is pointed out and services the hall outside the room).  Everyone is tremendously unhappy/insane/imprisoned because I only let them eat zombie flesh, but they have very comfortable rooms to cry in!   ;D

silentlord

looks better now. :P

just need hidden service corridors now.

and your an evil, evil man! zombie flesh.
atleast i feed mine soylent green. :D

love this mod, since the ductworks its much, much better. just want hot and cold together and be complete... not an easy feat.

theres actually nothing else i can suggest to make the mod better.

Latta

Quote from: Vingolf on March 28, 2015, 07:30:06 AM
Quote from: Latta on March 23, 2015, 08:22:54 AM
Quote from: Vingolf on March 23, 2015, 08:16:36 AM

Hey, wrong topic. Pipe is here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11056.0 Thank you.
And can you upload a screenshot of your net with overlay enabled? I can't see any problem at all within small testing environment.

Now I can see what's the problem.
Powered "fans" are good at "pushing", not "pulling" because they are "powered fans!"
Smart fans are low powered so they are fine.

Check my attachment.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Vingolf

Quote from: Latta on March 28, 2015, 07:40:39 AM
Quote from: Vingolf on March 28, 2015, 07:30:06 AM
Quote from: Latta on March 23, 2015, 08:22:54 AM
Quote from: Vingolf on March 23, 2015, 08:16:36 AM

Hey, wrong topic. Pipe is here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11056.0 Thank you.
And can you upload a screenshot of your net with overlay enabled? I can't see any problem at all within small testing environment.

Now I can see what's the problem.
Powered "fans" are good at "pushing", not "pulling" because they are "powered fans!"
Smart fans are low powered so they are fine.

Check my attachment.
I did like you said, but not much has changed. Why do i need to run 2 industrial heaters at 150 c each to barely be able to warm my base ? System temp shows 15c. Outside temp = -30. There's definatly something wrong.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Latta

How big is your base? And/or how much outtakes(smart fans, openings) are you running?

If your base is too big, you need to run more.
If your outtakes are too many, you need to build more intakes(powered fans at heating room), because A LOT of cold air of base will be pushed through "outtakes" and conquer the net even though smart fans are really weak compared to powered fans as they will outnumber a lot.
If both, please do both of course.

Also, I found that you are using old 22. Consider update to 22b as it will make you outtakes much weaker, meaning intakes will become more powerful.

Kaballah

Turning up your heaters to 150 or 200C is probably not really helping you.  You have 3 powered fans trying to pull heat from the heater room and get it into the ductwork.  Click any part of the duct network, what is the temperature inside the ducts?  You said you set the heaters to 150C, so in theory the temperature inside the ducts should be somewhere around 150C.  I am guessing you need a lot more powered fans in your heater room.  If the air inside the ductwork is actually hot then I have no idea what your problem could be, but I'm pretty sure that's a lot of what your problem is (cold air inside the duct network).

From your picture it also looks like you're trying to have 4 smart fans be the outlet for the 3 powered fans (which themselves probably aren't really enough but aside from that) - and then allow the heat to equalize through passive vents.  IMO you need more intake at the heater room, AND some more outlet (smart fans) in rooms you want heated.  Also you have vents connecting areas that aren't actually enclosed, so they won't actually do anything.  Plus the area you're trying to heat is a free-standing construction, which will equalize temperature with the outdoors quicker than a cave mined out of mountain.  Areas with "constructed roof" vs "overhead mountain" will equalize temperature with the outside more quickly.

So basically:
- Check the duct network temperature
- Build more intake (powered fans) in the heater room
- Build thicker walls everywhere adjacent to outside (including the heater room really)
- Dig into the mountain and build rooms inside

Kaballah

Oops, also note that it is possible for your duct network to be come segmented, and parts that appear to be connected may not actually show the same temperature; as someone suggested earlier, save/load fixes this.

Vingolf

Everything is shown on the screenshot i've posted. The heating room with 3 fans, pipes leading to main base, which is not that big. Network temperature is holding at approx 20c with -20c outside. The main "x" type corridor you can see on the picture is warming more than 15c, despite having 2 smartfans in the walls. Also... also, i see temperature jumping from 30 to 40c in the heating room.

Kaballah

OK, so probably most of your problem is losing heat through the constructed walls and ceiling.  The reason the temperature in the heater room is jumping between 30 and 40C is because most of it is bleeding out through the walls/door.  You can build thicker walls on the exterior of the heater room and living areas and that will help.  Also if you have more heat in the heater room than you have in the duct network, build more intake in the heater room (powered fans).  If the interior rooms are still cold, build more outlet inside (smart fans) and possibly try to concentrate the heat in essential areas like bedrooms and crafting areas, and not worry so much about hallways.

e: probably the first and most impactful thing you can do is dig out a heater room inside the rock with at least 2 tiles of rock on all sides, and "overhead mountain" ceiling to minimize the heat waste going on.

Kaballah

I'm gonna try to take the training wheels off and try to run a colony on a flat ice sheet map, with constructed buildings instead of rooms dug out from mountain, and heat it with parts in this mod.  I'll come back with some notes later, wish me luck  :-\

Latta

Oh.. I tried that once. Those nasty frostbites, you will need a lot of medicine! Good luck ;)

Kaballah

I have a customized "primitive" start with a couple of longbows, some herbal medicine, and a pile of "long pig" (my founding colonists are cannibals).  Since I'm playing with MarvinKosh's awesome Ice Pack, which I bugged him to make even harder than it was initially, on the ice sheet there are:
- NO TREES
- NO ANIMALS
- NO FARMABLE TERRAIN

Only ice, ice everywhere, and black bitter cold nights.  My crashed tribals are only dressed in winter tribal wear and jackets.  On day 10, a lone pirate attacked us, but he fled before we could bring him down for his delicious meat.  Shortly afterward, Karo, a fat medieval farm oaf, crashed nearby.  While she is sickened by the raw human flesh we feed her, we can tell she is a bloodthirsty killer at heart so we convince her to join the colony.  She is unfortunately quite naked and dumb as a post, unable to research, so Ginger has to give up her tribal wear to give the newcomer something to wear outside while Ginger frantically studies the puzzling survival manuals at the research table indoors.  Another pair of pirates just decided to join us for dinner...

e:  Well this may not have a happy ending.

Kaballah

Day 73: Bowman, an escaped convict we had convinced to join us, has fallen to pirate invaders of the Scythe Men tribe.  She never adapted well to our traditional diet.  We will honor her in death, Ginger will prepare fine meals made of her meat and the mushrooms that fell from the sky in pods yesterday.  The same pirates shot off Hungry's arm, and the phantom pain of her amputated limb along with the bitter cold (-60C now) caused her to crack; Chief had to subdue her before she froze to death and throw her in our tiny prison.  Karo remains strong, saying with one side of her mouth that she is horrified about the food but always stuffing more of it into the other.  She thrives on the cold, like a great bull walrus.

Lately the sun is dim and yesterday there was an eclipse.  The power flickers on and off, but we are building geothermal power plants that Ginger has learned how to construct from the research tables.  The hungry dead swarm us in ever greater numbers, but it is we who do the eating here.