[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

Day 97: Ginger has taken a bite from a walker.  She is our healer; better than any of us, she knows what has to be done.  Even as Chief guides her down to the dream world with the herbs, Ginger still tries to advise us on expanding the heater room.  It was her idea to build the ducts into the walls.  Chief's hand is steady with the bone saw.

Latta

Kaballah

MarvinKosh's ice sheet is about as hostile an environment as you can get out of the game, it's REALLY HARD to avoid eating human meat so why fight it :)

LustrousWolf

Heeelp :C

I have a cooler, it cools the room it is in, I have a vent door, but the other room is 20c  hotter, i thought vent door meant that the temperature was like shared if i used it? well its not working, so i used the duct opening, but that didnt do a thing, how do i use this, im getting so confused >.< http://gyazo.com/c7949ed90b5498d1f6a69bc114263e53

can someone like explain what each and every thing in this mod does i really wanna use it :D

Latta

For your cause, just use a vent, not duct. Replace your duct opening with vent and all be well... For ventilation door, really? Would you try to cut that mushroom? Anyway it isn't good as vent is.

I admit, this mod can be confusing. But I thought Kaballah's explanation covered almost up...!

LustrousWolf

Quote from: Latta on March 29, 2015, 10:20:39 AM
For your cause, just use a vent, not duct. Replace your duct opening with vent and all be well... For ventilation door, really? Would you try to cut that mushroom? Anyway it isn't good as vent is.

I admit, this mod can be confusing. But I thought Kaballah's explanation covered almost up...!

Yes I did understand it a lot from the explanation,  I just got confused by the vent door not working as well as I thought it would, thanks for the quick response :D

EDIT: Question: http://gyazo.com/1bf69941acb8e302ef875960c778e4cf

Kaballah

Vents (and also fans of all types) are not directional.  All they do is allow temperature to equalize between two enclosed spaces.  They have a rate of heat transfer though, so yes multiple vents might be helpful to you there (to allow more capacity for heat to transfer between the two connected rooms).

LustrousWolf

Quote from: Kaballah on March 29, 2015, 04:51:45 PM
Vents (and also fans of all types) are not directional.  All they do is allow temperature to equalize between two enclosed spaces.  They have a rate of heat transfer though, so yes multiple vents might be helpful to you there (to allow more capacity for heat to transfer between the two connected rooms).

Ok thanks :D sorry for all the question posts :c

Kaballah

Day 137:  For the first time, a male has survived attacking us and has managed to avoid the butcher table.  And what a man!

The women are all dubious of him but he is a likeable madman, joyful in battle and affable.  Ginger moves well on her uncanny machine leg, even better than before.  Indoors is very comfortable and warm, with Ginger's smart fans servicing every room and all ductwork and power wiring built inside of the walls.  Now is the "warm" season (-15C) so construction can be done quickly.

Kaballah

Day 155: An unexpected problem has arisen.  The temperature outdoors has risen to a sweltering 3C.  Our interior food storage area, which we took for granted would remain cold, is so well insulated that it is now ~10C, and all of our delicious meals are beginning to spoil!  Ginger frantically constructs an industrial cooler with four exhaust ports, but the food storage room remains warm!

In her haste, she constructed it backwards!  Many meals are spoiled!  Chief angrily begins tearing it down, and rebuilds it pointing the right way.  Ginger is thrown in prison for her foolish and wasteful mistake.

Since our prison is in the industrial/climate control building, Ginger complains of heat.  Chief contemptuously switches off the heaters, expecting that the cooler's exhaust heat will be comfortable enough.

Kaballah

Day 156:  Ginger unwisely continues to complain of heat.  Chief angrily provides the solution again.

e: the real solution was to build a couple of active vents leading to the outside, with a temp threshold of 21C, to dump the waste heat outside without hurting our overall heating capacity

jsteele726

I was finally able to get past the learning curve the other day, and now that I understand how the system works, I'm in love. Latta, you've done a wonderful job with this mod and I hope to see it further expanded on in the future. I borrowed one of your textures and edited it to show an idea, I hope you don't mind.

I was thinking that with something like this, we could build fans in the duct system to push air further while still keeping a nice, clean look. I haven't worked with textures in years, and it was thrown together quickly, but I hope you get the idea that I had.

Kaballah

A little more feedback:  Active Vents should probably have more heat transfer throughput, unless I don't properly understand how they work.  I'm still having problems with my heater room getting too hot with only the industrial cooler/4 exhaust, with 8 active vents leading outside to shed excess heat.  I could rig another cooler I guess but it seems like the active vent ought to be the thing to use here.  I have the Industrial heaters turned off also.  It is -10C outside.

Kaballah

Day 312:  Queenie, who has been with us almost from the beginning, has blundered into a mob of hungry dead.  Chief looks at the bite wound on her face, already beginning to turn gray, and passes a sharp glance to Ginger; we all know there is no choice, but Ginger looks away and covers her face with her hands.

Our tribe is strong.

Latta

Quote from: jsteele726 on March 30, 2015, 03:43:29 AM
I was thinking that with something like this, we could build fans in the duct system to push air further while still keeping a nice, clean look.

Oh, yes! It is look nice and I love nice thingy. I'm sure I can use that somehow. Thank you.
But as there is no accurate air model - current model is just working like a long room - so I can't use it as a circulation fan now. Anyway thank you for your compliment too.

Quote from: Kaballah on March 31, 2015, 01:15:57 AM
A little more feedback:  Active Vents should probably have more heat transfer throughput, ...
Uhh, what is this... Why? I'm sure your smart fans are all closed by now so there won't be any effect of powered fans. But I don't know why active vents are so weak even with that number. Maybe 4 exhaust ports + 1 Geothermal generator is too much of heat, industrial cooler with 4 ports is definitely a monster. But I'll test it to make it sure / fixed.