[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

On this map I actually have heavy temperature swing through the course of every day, from around 10C to 30C (50F to 85F) - plus I just really like the puzzle of constructing two overlaying duct networks :)

Latta

I just saw changelog that A10 now has a vent! Noo... I mean, yes! I wonder what its texture will looks like.

My plan : Delete vent(of course) or remains as a lockable vent(if not lockable).
Update active vent to the new graphic.

Kaballah

I'm trying to set up two sets of duct network, one for heat and one for cold, but here in this pic they are all showing up as one network ID/same network temperature.  The "u" shape is connected to heat, the "n" shape is not connected to anything at all.  What's going on?  I'm looking at it very carefully and I'm pretty sure the two networks do not physically cross/touch anywhere, but they show the same ID even after reloading saved game.

Ninefinger

Quote from: Kaballah on April 05, 2015, 12:02:42 AM
I'm trying to set up two sets of duct network, one for heat and one for cold, but here in this pic they are all showing up as one network ID/same network temperature.  The "u" shape is connected to heat, the "n" shape is not connected to anything at all.  What's going on?  I'm looking at it very carefully and I'm pretty sure the two networks do not physically cross/touch anywhere, but they show the same ID even after reloading saved game.

The N shaped network will not show up as a cooling network until you connect it to a cold room and force the fans to pump the cold air through that network. ;)

Kaballah

I was hoping it was something like that, but as I continue to build, all pieces of my duct networks just shows up at the same network ID no matter what I do.

... actually I just quit the game entirely and restarted, and now it looks OK.  Well, good to know sometimes just save/load is not all that has to be done I guess  :D

Ninefinger

Quote from: Kaballah on April 05, 2015, 02:12:58 AM
I was hoping it was something like that, but as I continue to build, all pieces of my duct networks just shows up at the same network ID no matter what I do.

... actually I just quit the game entirely and restarted, and now it looks OK.  Well, good to know sometimes just save/load is not all that has to be done I guess  :D

Good to hear you got it working, i was also thinking that maybe you accidentally attached the two together somewhere at some point then disconnected them possibly idk though :)

Savagedingo

Hi everybody, I've been trying to figure some of these new temperature things out and I'm kind of lost at the moment.  I'm in a warm climate so I'm trying to figure out the best way to expel some of the heat from the coolers as well as my steam power that is located inside my mountain base. 

http://imgur.com/gCOQk4U

I've marked 3 locations that are kind of causing me issues that I'd like some advice on.  That freezer to the left is causing that whole above section to be much warmer than I would like.  Currently it's 86F inside but 66 outside.  This is kind of the cooler part of the year, but outside it'll jump up above 100F easy.  This kind of brings me to the arrow near the ducts and fans.  It's not in right now because I was experimenting, but I had an industrial cooler there and it was doing pretty well keeping that whole area cool.  I'm just trying different things now.  Is there any reasonable way to get the heat that's coming off that cooler near the first arrow to the outside using ducts?  Or should I just go back to the industrial cooler? 

The arrow in the middle has to do with my steam power.  Again, I've tried doing many things in order to get the heat out of the room, but I found the easiest thing to do was to set up the cooler and have a path leading to the outside.  I even tried putting up some vents in order to not have an open section to the world, but that didn't seem to work either, the area was getting too warm behind the cooler.

Thanks.

Kaballah

The simple solution to getting rid of waste heat from running coolers is to just have the exhaust open to the outside.  If your map is always warm and you'll never want to make use of the exhaust heat, just don't enclose the exhausts the way you're doing in that pic, dig out a path to outside so the exhaust areas are labeled "outdoors".

Latta

Vents are always better at simple, adjacent equalization and whenever possible, you should use them instead of duct system. Or use it as a support system for existing vents. One vent is not enough; multiple are required to compensate cooler's excess heat. In my experience, for thermal generator, 2 or 3 vents without cooler was enough(boreal forest). Ducts are always weaker and resource comsuming.

Otger note: Vents are a bit underpowered again. I'll adjust their equalization rate somewhere between 22b and 22c.

Savagedingo

Thanks for the responses guys.  I'm still trying to figure out the piping for ductwork, but it's not the biggest priority for me when I'm building into a mountain.  Once I try out an area that will have actual buildings and span a greater distance, I'll probably have to get good with ductwork.

Kaballah

Another little bit of feedback, walls cannot be constructed over the duct pipe intersection piece.  It would be nice if this piece worked like the rest of the ductwork pipe and let you hide it inside walls.

Tokki

The Vent & doors only version of this mod gives me an error message. When i start the game i get one and when i start a new colony i get anonther one. The vent is buildable and seems to work and if i get this message right it only complains about some missing research.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Latta

Quote from: Tokki on April 10, 2015, 09:37:55 AM
The Vent & doors only version of this mod gives me an error message. When i start the game i get one and when i start a new colony i get anonther one. The vent is buildable and seems to work and if i get this message right it only complains about some missing research.

Sorry, re-uploaded. I forgot to include ResearchProjectDefs. It should be fixed now.

R0NIN

I'm still not understanding what to do. could someone make a video or something. thnxs

Goo Poni

My understanding is that you create a heater or cooler room and then, from these rooms, you use powered fans to suck the air in and distribute it around the base by way of smart fans which open and close as needed by the temperature of the rooms they're serving. I couldn't figure out how to get it all nicely wired up so I took the easy way out. One corridor of my mountain base leads to an open air area sealed behind 8 layers of wood walls to prevent raider incursion and at that corridor is 5 industrial coolers. They keep the entire base cooled to 15C, even with smaller coolers keeping walk-in freezers colder. I also filled the open air area with solar panels just to get some use out of the land there. I haven't built anything at that end of the base, so no-one needs to have their thoughts drowned out by the drone of the heavyweight cooling facilities back there.