[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latta

Uh, they used to separate rooms in A9 for sure. Is there any console error(red color) like "RoomMaker(or anything else) can't make room with (un)walkable cell blah blah"?

jefferyharrell

I didn't find any errors like that, but I did notice that my log is filling up with TONS of messages that look like this:

tempDiff: 1.474108 tempRated: 0.3685269

There's way more than one of those being printed to the log per second. Maybe one per frame, even. It looks like a debugging message to my untrained eye. Is it maybe coming from your mod? I tried doing a quick-and-dirty disable of your mod to see if the message stopped, but the game didn't like that at all, so I guess my next step is to start a new game without RedistHeat and see if the message appears.

Latta

Woops, sorry. That is from this. I'll remove those within 4 hours or so.

Kaballah

Latta

Updated to 30a. If you used ventilation doors, please remove all before update.

Changes:
Temporarily removed ventilation doors.
Removed accidentally included debug messages within vents.

jefferyharrell

Thanks for the update. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I will as soon as I can. I'll report back with any findings.

Meanwhile, I've skimmed through the thread but if this is in there I've missed it: What exactly is the break-even point between the small heaters and coolers in the core game and your industrial ones? I've been trying to figure out the correct uses for each since alpha 9 and I'm just getting more confused.

The "vanilla" cooler consumes 200 watts (max). If I remember right, your industrial AC consumes 400 watts plus 100 watts per exhaust (again, max). So at one exhaust, the industrial AC is equal to two and a half small ACs.

What I haven't been able to figure out, though, is how much cooling the industrial cooler does relative to the small cooler. Like say I'm building a freezer that I plan to keep at -20°C and say it's 9 by 18 tiles, so 162 tiles in area. Is it better to stick one small cooler in the wall, or two small ones, or one of your industrial ones? I don't know, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to make that decision other than going into god mode and doing a bunch of tests (which I'm not averse to doing, but it sounds tedious and not fun).

Same with the heaters. The small heater consumes 100 watts max, while the industrial heater consumes 360 watts max. How do they compare in terms of heat per watt? I assume the industrial heater produces more heat per watt (otherwise why does it exist?) but I also assume there's some point at which the industrial heater is overkill, where it's producing more heat than is needed to heat a given amount of space. How am I supposed to know where that break-even point is between the two heaters?

I hope my questions are making sense. I adore your mod. Please don't take anything I've written here as a complaint. To the contrary, what I'm basically saying here is that I feel like I'm not smart enough to use your mod wisely.

Latta

Quote from: jefferyharrell on April 21, 2015, 02:39:47 PM

In my memory it is minimum of 3. I mean, 3 small heaters/coolers < one big heater/cooler. They will perform better in electricity consumption from there, with slightly more capacity. I'm not in front of my computer so I can't check the actual values. Cooler might be 4... At least industrial heater looks much better than building 4 small heaters :D And coolers are fancy. (IMO)
Also you can use them in small environment too if you need to, like building temperature trap. I used industrial cooler for PAL core back in Alpha 9.

DopplerEffect

I'm having an issue with the Smart Duct. I have my base set up like this: http://imgur.com/a/spYxW.  It seems like the Smart duct isn't functioning at all.  Hopefully i'm just missing something.

Ninefinger

Quote from: DopplerEffect on April 22, 2015, 11:00:24 AM
I'm having an issue with the Smart Duct. I have my base set up like this: http://imgur.com/a/spYxW.  It seems like the Smart duct isn't functioning at all.  Hopefully i'm just missing something.

the way i see it is the flow of heat is only in one direction from colder room to hotter room since the room is already hotter than the desired temperature all the fan can do is turn itself off it can not reverse the flow of heat to remove excess heat in the room, i suggest adding a duct intake inside the room and put a duct outlet or smart fan anywhere that is considered "outside" and make sure the temperature is set to a higher temperature that it is outside and connect them with a duct so it can act like a vent. or try adding a active vent on the wall of the hotter room.

Kaballah

Your pic shows a smartfan that looks all correct, but the mouseover/environment info says "outdoors".  Did you have the mouse pointer over that room when you made the screenshot?  What kind of door are you using there, it doesn't look like the normal door.  Are you using vented doors everywhere, including the door to the outside :)

DopplerEffect

The mouseover was just from where when I took the screenshot (using a snipping tool), both of the rooms are indoors, and the doors are from the Superior Crafting mod.  The doors are both rooms are the same, and since the room on the right is cooling down, I think the doors are functioning correctly

DopplerEffect

Quote from: Kaballah on April 22, 2015, 11:20:51 AM
he way i see it is the flow of heat is only in one direction from colder room to hotter room since the room is already hotter than the desired temperature all the fan can do is turn itself off it can not reverse the flow of heat to remove excess heat in the room, i suggest adding a duct intake inside the room and put a duct outlet or smart fan anywhere that is considered "outside" and make sure the temperature is set to a higher temperature that it is outside and connect them with a duct so it can act like a vent. or try adding a active vent on the wall of the hotter room.

I didn't realize that the temperature gradient was directional.  I thought it just used the network temperature to change each room temperature?

Kaballah

If you're using vented doors and you have one of them leading to the outside, you are equalizing heat to the outside, which is bad.  You never want to build a vented door leading outside unless it's intended to literally throw away waste heat/waste cold.

Also you should construct your industrial coolers like this if you want to attach 4 exhausts and run them at higher efficiency:

Kaballah

Quote from: DopplerEffect on April 22, 2015, 11:25:45 AM
I didn't realize that the temperature gradient was directional.  I thought it just used the network temperature to change each room temperature?

No, I'm pretty sure you're correct and that is how it works (it's not directional).  The duct network is basically an invisible room, and it equalizes heat to adjacent openings/smart fans (up/down to their thermostat setting).

DopplerEffect

Thanks for the image and design idea :)

However, I am not using any vented doors.  The hallway between rooms is 36C, the room with the Duct Opening is 20C and the room with the Smart Duct Opening is 36C, and both doors are regular non-vented doors.