[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latta

Did you check your active's direction? Orange point which appears when you click the active should be in your freezer.

Veyda

Quote from: Latta on May 01, 2015, 01:42:22 AM
Did you check your active's direction? Orange point which appears when you click the active should be in your freezer.

Of course! :o I even rebuilt the vent again to make sure it's not a random glitch.

Latta

I can't reproduce this. Two rooms with same size, one with active directly connecting outside, another with nothing has clearly different temperature. Have you tried to restart...um..no, this is not a duct so I doubt it will get fixed.

Kaballah

Someone pointed out a weird case involving auto-roofing that did not go away until the user rolled a new world map and started a game there, so at worst you might try that.

Veyda

Quote from: Kaballah on May 01, 2015, 07:48:25 AM
Someone pointed out a weird case involving auto-roofing that did not go away until the user rolled a new world map and started a game there, so at worst you might try that.

It's possible. This map was started in 10a, and continually upgraded from there.

EDIT: Could not repro on a newly generated map. Please disregard.  :-X

Captain_Goatse

Hello, I am having problems with the ductwork:

The network temp is 30 C in the small room, one square away from the room it falls to 14, two squares away and it is 8 C. Outside temp is 16, the heater is set to 31. Can you help?

Latta

axenn

real problem with duc pipe etc... room at 81°C , network a bit less, i made an isolation room for all the base; Impossible to reach 21°C if i put the wished Temp at 21°C. I put 5 input in the room 3 out for the hall. The result is less interesting than the classic vent. i'm pretty sure there is a ratio problem. Same problem with the active vent, there are less efficients than the classic, it seems there is a 'tic' in your algorithm, isn't it ? Each X s, that pulse heat ?.

thanks

edit: oups i will try 0.31 first (i have 0.30)

AllenWL

I'm trying to cool down my desert base by making a room and cooling it down a lot, then using a duct to drain the hot air from my base into the cold room.
But I can't seem to make heads or tails out of the duct system at all. Help?

Ninefinger

Quote from: AllenWL on May 16, 2015, 05:31:58 AM
I'm trying to cool down my desert base by making a room and cooling it down a lot, then using a duct to drain the hot air from my base into the cold room.
But I can't seem to make heads or tails out of the duct system at all. Help?

Dont duct the hot air into a room your are powering to keep cold, duct the hot air directly outside. First place your duct intake in the room you want to transfer cold from, then place a smart duct outlets in all the rooms that you want to have cooled, then run the duct pipe from the intake and connect it to all of your smart duct outlets. Make sure your smart duct outlets have power. You can place active vents in rooms and power those as to eject unwanted eat as well as forcing cold air in. do not duct the hot air back int o a room that is trying to keep cold thta cold air is what keeps your base cold dont heat it up. If its too hot outside the vents may not work im not entirely sure they might just close. But cooling the room with the smart fan should be enough. Remember to use exhaust ports on your cooler to make it much more efficient.

nukularpower

It seems pretty strange to me that the exhaust ports from a cooler are more effective than an industrial heater for warming up a cold base if you enclose them.  I dont turn my "food storage" cooler off even in the middle of winter cuz it works so well for heating the rest of my base.  Seems like a bit much :)

Nekomimi

Sorry, but I really want to be sure:
Which building will help us to cool down network, and which building is best to distribute cold air?

Wanted to use central cooling for all food/medicine storages and no matter how hard I try network stays at 2C.

Also, what can I do to prevent separate vent systems to merge? Cooling and heating one keep changing ID to 232.
Have you fell here from the sky
Have you been trapped under stone
We're all glad that you survive
This is now your only home

Born in the primitive tribe
Joined the pirates in their cove
The past doesn't matter now
The Vault Seven is your home

nukularpower

Quote from: nukularpower on May 18, 2015, 04:11:45 AM
It seems pretty strange to me that the exhaust ports from a cooler are more effective than an industrial heater for warming up a cold base if you enclose them.  I dont turn my "food storage" cooler off even in the middle of winter cuz it works so well for heating the rest of my base.  Seems like a bit much :)

The new "toxic" stuff coming in A11 has me hoping that this won't be possible in the next alpha - after all, pumping exhaust fumes through your base should not be beneficial :)

nmid

This is what's going to happen in Alpha 11.
Send the toxic hot air from a cooler to a filter room..
(Pretty sure there will be SOME way to remove toxicity)
toxicity is removed and the hot air is filtered back :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

Djohaal

Air conditioners don't produce much "exhaust" fumes, it's just heated, clean air. (maybe a little dusty sometimes). The steam from geothermal plants and flue from thermal generators is another business, those can contain very nasty stuff.

On the subject of the heat distribution, I found them excellent for regulating a base's temperature toward either cold or warm, but those temperate maps subject to cold snaps and heat waves are a little trickier to regulate. Maybe we could have a hybrid smart duct/air conditioner? It'd use the network's warm air to heat up the room as a normal smart duct, while when it has to cool the room it actively consumes power and dumps the waste heat into the network to be exhausted somewhere? (could have network-regulating smart vents too);

Another thing I'd suggest looking into if someone wants to tackle the code is reviewing the game's logic for toggling heaters. In rooms where temperature fluctuates a lot (such as a busy "hot" room of a large base) sometimes only one heater gets recruited to control the temperature at a time, due to the rapid variation of the temperature around the set point of the thermostat. That leads to under-utilization of the heating or cooling power. Maybe a system where a single thermostat runs on the whole room, instead of one per device?