[A12d] RedistHeat - Vents/Ducts (Oct 12, v42b) Small heater fix

Started by Latta, March 01, 2015, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SURU

Hey i've look into XML file called Buildings_Temperature.xml and it's what i've found:
http://pastebin.com/LMBD6sdq
What's mean Heater and SmallCooler?? are the most efficient.
I am doing this in 5min in work so don't blame me if i missed something.
It's only part of items!
CraPC: AMD Phenom X3 8750 | Club 3D Radeon 7770 | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | 4GB RAM DDR2 2x2GB Kingston
Don't go this way!

Bendigeidfran

Big fan of the mod, great concept and execution, but i've got a few questions regarding some issues i've been having.
It all works great in smaller networks but once I finished testing it and applied it to my base as a whole I came across a few problems.
Can you use Upper Pipes for high temps and Lower Pipes for Low temps and run them through the same tile without them sharing temperature? Do they influence each others temperature if they touch?
I've set up my pipes thus on an Ice Sheet Biome:
I have the aforementioned two pipe networks set up with the Lower Pipe set to intake from outside and then running through a number of Duct Coolers. This works as expected and maintains a temperature of -48 quite nicely. The Upper Network is set to intake from a room filled with a number of industrial heaters set to very high temperatures. This works great in a small network but as I add Smart Vents to the network to heat up rooms I notice the network temperature begins to fluctuate heavily before eventually sitting at Zero and refusing to budge.
Is this because the Heater room isn't hot enough? Do I need an intake per vent? This mod seems perfect but I was hoping to use it to make a central heating system for my considerably large base and I feel i'm missing something regarding its usage.
The Cooler/Heater setup:

The pipes go right the way around my base and connect to rooms like this:

It's making me tear my hair out because I can't figure out what i'm doing wrong!

Ectoplasm

Bendigeidfran, Additional intake vents within the heater room will push/suck/draw more heat into the ducting system. I guess there must be an optional ratio of intake to output vents, though I don't know what it may be.

Matt Rethyu

Changing the name of the LT_RedistHeat folder causes a lot of "object reference not set to an instance of an object" errors in the log. You wouldn't think somebody would want to do that, but reasons. Also, great mod, you did amazing job here!
"Our destiny is in the stars, so let's go and search for it."

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Matt Rethyu on January 21, 2016, 03:33:11 PM
Changing the name of the LT_RedistHeat folder causes a lot of "object reference not set to an instance of an object" errors in the log. You wouldn't think somebody would want to do that, but reasons. Also, great mod, you did amazing job here!
Not exactly sure how it works, but;
You've installed the mod, started playing, now you've changed the name, but the game is still looking for the components of the mod in the LT_RedistHeat folder, which no longer exists (since you renamed it).

It should work again if you restore the name,
also it should work again once you create a new colony (and possibly a new world too? Not sure about that) with the new folder name.
Maybe if you checked the "mod" option (main screen), sometimes the name difference causes the mod to be recognized as a new one. Perhaps enabling it will solve the problem.

SakuraLeeBlossom

I have been using this mod for a while now and I love it. But I can't put down any vents, small heater or small coolers in the game.
There is no object to even place once I have selected it on the bar.
It is a glitch that makes it very hard to keep all the rooms a constant temp.
Any help on this would be great.  :)

Kaballah

Vents, active vents, small/medium coolers and medium heaters need to be constructed on top of an already-present wall.  Small heaters need to be placed on an empty tile suitable for construction (i.e. not mud or marsh).  Is that your problem?

Vas

I don't think I like this very much anymore.  I mean, it shouldn't take 50 heaters to heat a large base.  And it shouldn't take 100 intake vents to heat just a few rooms.  I changed the values in the file from 0.1 to 1, and it still didn't help much.  I noticed that the cooling ducts that I was using, the output source kept outputting cold air into my rooms because it was doing a heat pushing event where it kept pushing cold air as it tried to heat my room to the proper heat level.  So the two networks were fighting each other.

You have a device that cools air in a network, yes?  Why not also create a device that heats air in a network?  Rather than heating a room and making you need to have 4 intakes per room to get enough air flow.  Air ducts aren't THAT inefficient in real life.

I'll do more research later to figure out if I can provide some detailed good suggestions though, but one I already have is to make the cooling unit that cools air within a network have two levels of piping, the front of it being cold air, to cool that network, while pumping heat into the other network.  Allowing you a toggle button like on all your duct using systems to switch what duct they use, this will simply switch the front end with the back end type so you can cool the air in a different network.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

w00d

been using this mod and found that industrial heater and cooler is less effective than say 2 medium coolers , heating say a 10by10 room, a single medium cools faster , capable of handling a heat wave etc and uses far less space and resources. Otoh, building a large industrial cooler struggles to keep the room cool. I am unclear what i am doing wrong.

Kaballah

Did you construct 4 exhaust ports attached to the industrial cooler?  Before you do, you're right it's not very efficient/powerful but after 4 exhaust are connected it gets much better.

Shabazza

Quote from: w00d on February 03, 2016, 10:32:56 PM
been using this mod and found that industrial heater and cooler is less effective than say 2 medium coolers , heating say a 10by10 room, a single medium cools faster , capable of handling a heat wave etc and uses far less space and resources. Otoh, building a large industrial cooler struggles to keep the room cool. I am unclear what i am doing wrong.
I already pointed this out https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11056.msg187084#msg187084.
The current balancing of those heaters/coolers makes them completely unviable against their vanilla counterparts.
What I did for myself was to rebalance their steel cost and power consumption in a way so the bigger heaters/coolers are relatively more expensive, but also more efficient, so you are actually having a reason to exchange vanilla machines eventually with the bigger ones from this mod.
I hope Latta will rebalance them soon.
In unaltered state, there is really no point in using those heaters/coolers with the exception of the duct cooler.
But this one is inbalanced in the other direction. It's way too power conserving for what it does.

teknotel

Trying to successfully regulate the temperature in my base. Have never used the ducting before so thought I would give it a shot. Took me a bit of searching but found some images and useful information which have led me to follow this model:

- One cold source and one hot source
- Cold air on lower ducting and hot air on upper ducting
- Active vents in rooms I want to regulate
- Freezer storage for food on a seperate cooling system to rest of base.
- Many intake ducts in heat source rooms

https://gyazo.com/05a727123877231ee197883844987781

That is an image of  base but here are problems I just cant figure out:

- All industrial coolers to the right of base in the main room are set to -10. Why is the temperature of the room between 5-15 when there is 8 of them?

- Same for heaters, they are all set to 60, why is the temperature in the room stuck at 23?

- I am presuming upper and lower duct pipes can overlap?

If anyone knows a guide or wiki or anything that can help me understand how the elements of this mod work and how to set up proper efficient colling and heating systems for large bases I would most grateful thank you.

Ectoplasm

Quote from: teknotel on February 19, 2016, 02:24:31 AM

Yep. If you follow the temperatures in the duct work within your base, I bet you'll find that even close to the heater or coolers, the pipe work will be significantly colder or hotter than it should technically be, is that the case for you too? In heatwaves especially I notice this.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: teknotel on February 19, 2016, 02:24:31 AM
Trying to successfully regulate the temperature in my base. Have never used the ducting before so thought I would give it a shot. Took me a bit of searching but found some images and useful information which have led me to follow this model:

- One cold source and one hot source
- Cold air on lower ducting and hot air on upper ducting
- Active vents in rooms I want to regulate
- Freezer storage for food on a seperate cooling system to rest of base.
- Many intake ducts in heat source rooms

https://gyazo.com/05a727123877231ee197883844987781

That is an image of  base but here are problems I just cant figure out:

- All industrial coolers to the right of base in the main room are set to -10. Why is the temperature of the room between 5-15 when there is 8 of them?

- Same for heaters, they are all set to 60, why is the temperature in the room stuck at 23?

If anyone knows a guide or wiki or anything that can help me understand how the elements of this mod work and how to set up proper efficient colling and heating systems for large bases I would most grateful thank you.

Using duct system to heat your base is a waste of time and resources. It's not *that* realistic (or how shall I phrase it) for it to be efficient. In theory it should work, but in the game it doesn't.

It'd be better if you placed small/medium heaters in your rooms, or an industrial in bigger rooms, as you see fit.

You may also use regular vents to heat up adjacent rooms, but that will likely require more (or bigger) heaters.

(mind you, the temperature in those rooms will be slightly lower, depending on the number of vents, the size of the room, and the outside temperature, be creative),
but do not try to heat up rooms this way 5 rooms away, see reason above.

As for cooling: It's best to use duct coolers, much more efficient, and you'll have better results.
As far as I know, your method doesn't work because of inadequate game mechanics. Let's say the temperature in your cooler room is ~20(°C), and you set the coolers to -40.
The coolers will lower the temperature to -40, then the intakes will "take out" the cold, reducing the duct network temperature, but increase the cooler room temperature, while the active vents reduce
the temp of rooms, they increase the temp of the duct network. If they could do it at once it would work, but they do it step by step. It's problematic.

Duct coolers skip a step (or two) in it, cooling the network directly, so the temperature lag isn't really a problem.

I tried making a similar cooler room, with industrial coolers (with 4 of those things each), the temperature was bouncing up and down between ~-70 and ~+50 (during a heat-wave), and it was capable of cooling my rooms back to ~30°C, instead of the targeted 20. Wasn't worth all the resources and electricity it took.
4 duct coolers could handle it, however.

-------------------------------------------

Anyway, here's my lackluster how-to:

-Forget central heating. Even if we had a "duct heater", it probably wouldn't worth it. But we don't have it, so it does not worth it at all.

-Don't use "cooler rooms", use duct coolers instead.

-If you want to have rooms cooled back to ~20, and a freezer to be cooled back to ~0 (or less), use a separate duct network. It's useful to have the upper/lower choice these times.
(You did it right, based on what you said.)

-The upper-lower duct pipes may intersect!

-If you don't want to place a heater in every room, you can heat up the corridors/certain rooms, and use regular vents to heat up adjacent rooms.
It works best if the central room is big, and the adjacent rooms are small(er).

-If you are hell-bent on using cooler/heater rooms, remember;
the size of such rooms matter!
As well as the length of the duct network!
And the room(s) you wish to control the temperature of!

Even if you cool down a small (let's say 5x5) room to -150, it'll be worthless if you have hundreds of tiles long duct network, or if you're trying to cool down an over sized (i.e. 12x50) room!
Similarly, even if you cool down and adequate sized room (let's say 12x9) to extremely low temperatures, it'll be worthless if you have duct pipes a few tiles in length!
Why? Because of the mechanics, which I can't really explain.

-You can recycle heat (in cold biomes mostly)! You can use regular coolers for your fridge, and use the heat they generate to heat up adjacent rooms. That, however, is risky, as coolers may generate too much heat you can't easily distribute.
If you have a big (or multiple) freezer(s), you mas also use duct coolers as "heaters" in different rooms, instead of venting the excess heat outside.

-I'm sure I'm forgetting something...

SarahSnowy

Love this mod, recently changed computer and some parts of the graphics appear missing in game, they are in the folder and its still called the original name. If you could help would be greatly appreciated . =)

What I get in game:
Could not find a type named RedistHeat.Designator_DeconstructReversed
Could not find a type named RedistHeat.PlaceWorker_DuctBase
Could not find a type named RedistHeat.PlaceWorker_DuctBase
Could not find a type named RedistHeat.Graphic_MultiDXT5
Could not find a type named RedistHeat.Graphic_SingleDXT5
Could not find a type named RedistHeat.Building_Heater
Could not find a type named RedistHeat.Building_Cooler
Could not find a type named RedistHeat.Building_MediumHeater