[MODPACK](A9) Rimsearch (0.8.5) 2015-03-07 Added three new mods to pack

Started by herrcaptain, March 01, 2015, 06:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herrcaptain

Quote from: MyNameIsSpyder on March 02, 2015, 08:35:25 PM
You could just see how the vanilla game Pneumatic Picks tech works, and use that as an example.

Great idea! I had completely forgotten that there was already a tech like that. That should make that idea MUCH easier to implement.

MyNameIsSpyder

Quote from: herrcaptain on March 02, 2015, 08:55:17 PM
Quote from: MyNameIsSpyder on March 02, 2015, 08:35:25 PM
You could just see how the vanilla game Pneumatic Picks tech works, and use that as an example.

Great idea! I had completely forgotten that there was already a tech like that. That should make that idea MUCH easier to implement.
How's the modding going? As a side note, I'd like to see a 'Auto Research Table' which would passively research things, but if you wanted them fast it would require a HUGE amount of power, while if it takes a smaller ammount it would be as slow as a level 2 researcher. Just an idea.

herrcaptain

I replied to your PM before I saw this, but the modding is going good and I have a few more mods in place for the next release in a day or so. After I get 6 or 7 more "stuff" mods in place to add some content I'm going to turn my attention over to the tech tree for a while and start working on that.

Your idea for an auto-research table definitely sounds great. That won't be an immediate priority but I'd definitely like to include something like that in a later version once I turn my attention over to the lab-building portion of the mod.

MyNameIsSpyder

Quote from: herrcaptain on March 02, 2015, 09:10:51 PM
I replied to your PM before I saw this, but the modding is going good and I have a few more mods in place for the next release in a day or so. After I get 6 or 7 more "stuff" mods in place to add some content I'm going to turn my attention over to the tech tree for a while and start working on that.

Your idea for an auto-research table definitely sounds great. That won't be an immediate priority but I'd definitely like to include something like that in a later version once I turn my attention over to the lab-building portion of the mod.
I'll just respond to your PM here; firstly, when did I mention Industrialization? I'm sorry if you're talking about something else, but it looked like you were talking about my suggestions, so I was a tad confused. Secondly, for the tech tree, I'd recommend a complete research overhaul ( Possibly with a new UI ) to help your pack stand out from the rest; it is focused on research, after all!

herrcaptain

You didn't mention Industrialisation, I was just letting you know which mods I was working on including into this pack at present. :-) The other two you had suggested and I've included (and plan to include some of your other suggested mods), but there are a bunch of others (like Industrialisation) that I plan to include as well to help flesh out the tech tree and because I think they're awesome and add a lot to the base game. That said, I'm making it as modular as possible so users will eventually be able to simply not enable any of the included mods that they don't feel like using (not quite seamless at the moment but in later versions I can probably make that happen by splitting the compatibility patches into different sub-mods).

As for the UI idea, that sounds really cool but it's definitely not a priority at the moment though I'll definitely consider it later on after the "meat" of the modpack is in place. It would be really nice, I'm just not much of a UI programmer (especially in a language I'm unfamiliar with like C#) and I'd rather focus on getting the tech tree in place first and other essentials in place first. That said, it would be really nice to be able to display the new tech tree in a branching table (to show prerequisites visually) instead of just as individual options in a list, so I do think it's a good suggestion if I can eventually implement it.

Listen1

I don't have alot of time, and i'm really busy with real life stuff, like planning a marriage, putting furniture in the apartment I just bought, working like crazy to pay debts, grow-up stuff. Can't help with programing, but can help you with the Tech-tree on my free time. I use for work a flow-chart maker named Lucidchart.

We can make a flow-chart with mods that you want to include, if you have a list of them I can send you a suggestion.

I believe you want something like Cut tree (default) Woodcutting (Default, Turns Wood into Logs), Woodworking (Research, Crafting wood planks for floors, furnitures, weapons and sculptures) Advanced wood working (Research, Makes composite bows, better flooring/furniture/weapons/sculputures)

I can help you in that fashion, if you wish.

herrcaptain

Quote from: Listen1 on March 03, 2015, 08:11:16 AM
I don't have alot of time, and i'm really busy with real life stuff, like planning a marriage, putting furniture in the apartment I just bought, working like crazy to pay debts, grow-up stuff. Can't help with programing, but can help you with the Tech-tree on my free time. I use for work a flow-chart maker named Lucidchart.

We can make a flow-chart with mods that you want to include, if you have a list of them I can send you a suggestion.

I believe you want something like Cut tree (default) Woodcutting (Default, Turns Wood into Logs), Woodworking (Research, Crafting wood planks for floors, furnitures, weapons and sculptures) Advanced wood working (Research, Makes composite bows, better flooring/furniture/weapons/sculputures)

I can help you in that fashion, if you wish.

Hahahaha. I'm actually in the same boat as you! Planning a marriage, paying off student loans, working like a real person, etc. Thankfully I'm at least self-employed and mostly work from home so it's pretty easy to switch gears to a project like this after I've had enough of real work for a day. Anyway, I'd love any help in that regard. I've got a few loose plans for the tech tree but I'd love a second set of eyes on it. I originally started the preliminary planning in Xmind but it didn't seem ideal for it so I was planning to just switch over to Google Docs with its draw function (I use it a lot for work) but if you wanted to do something proper up in Lucidchart I'd be all over that. If you're up for it maybe shoot me your email in a PM so we can start talking about the structure of the tech tree. I'm still getting a few more mods incorporated before I really start to think about it concretely but I do have some loose goals.

herrcaptain

2015-03-07: Updated to 0.8.5

• Added in the Industrialisation, Animal Hide Working, and Less Incident Trolling mods.
  • Increased research times for the two new Industrialisation techs (to fit the main objective of the pack of longer research).
  • Increased base pistol range from 10 to 20 and decreased its medium-range accuracy from 35% to 25%. I felt that the ranges included in Combat Realism for this weapon were too low but that it should still be difficult to hit from a distance for an inexperienced shooter.

What's Next?

This upcoming week is going to be bananas for me between work and my personal life, but I'm hoping to find the time to push at least one more update to add in a few more small mods. The goal at this point is to get another 5-10 mods in place and then turn our attention to the research system and tech tree for a while (as that is the whole point of this mod). Fellow forum user Listen1 has now joined the team and is helping me plan a coherent tech tree to bind all of these amazing mods together into a unified system.

Other Notes

Right now the longer tech times are just sort of hacked together. On average I have increased their research costs by roughly 3x, but this was just a fairly arbitrary way of stretching out how long it takes to get to the end of the tech tree. In future versions we will have a much deeper tech tree that will hopefully be more balanced and realistic while still taking much longer to work through. If you want to play with this modpack but don't want to use these longer tech times, just delete this file from the modpack and you'll have the regular research times: Rimsearch/Defs/ResearchProjectDefs/RS_ResearchProjects.xml

MyNameIsSpyder

Sorry for not responding for a while; computer's hard drive broke, and had to replace it. Downloading Rimworld back now.

Listen1

Well, I believe I have two options with in life, or I stop one of the working/college/marriage or I can embrace the darkness... and become crazy

Well, if it works, i'll make money out of it :D

Have to do the flowcharts and test the new version of the mod.

MyNameIsSpyder

If you want I can make a story with your pack to help advertise the pack.

Pheanox

I noticed your readme was not updated with correct load order for the three new mods.  Any tips or recommendations for this, or simply put them in the bunch before Combat Realism?

Xerberus86

question: can i also include other mods like rimsenal in your modpack? :)

Listen1

Xerberus, I believe they are compatible, would have to test it and see.

Well, i've been in a colony for almost 1 year, Deville, the name. Combat Realism hurted so bad as a stranger walked up and threw a grenade at the foot of my soldiers, only to die after a shot through the (heart!) torso. Boom, destroyed my power line, crippled 3 colonists, but we survived.

The delong on research made me go to full solar and batteries. When the times comes i'll keep researching other power means. Started concrete production to go wind turbines too.

It's almost a year and I still dosen't have geothermal or hidroponics, that's awesome! The game seen so much in depth now, so much to do. The only thing I disabled in the mod was Apparelo. In my humble opnion, it looks wrong in the colonists and it is too much junk to manage.

Added EDBs and PawnStateIcon, because who wouldn't? T's wood floors look amazing, stuffed animals are really nice, and modular tables are a must!