Max is "broken", how do I fix Max?

Started by City Builder, March 01, 2015, 07:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

City Builder

Hey,
Playing Alpha 9 and noticed that "Max" the only real constructor that i have got the flu, so I set one of the extra beds in a private suite to a medical bed and watched as my doctor gave him doctoring.  Soon enough he gets up and goes back to work but then he's sick again.  Why didn't he just stay in bed until well in the first place?

Anyway, I then order him into bed but a few seconds later I'm told that he's in a really bad mood (from sickness, ugly environment etc) and is now "broken", so how do I go about fixing max?  I've tried to select my warden to arrest or capture max but it's not an option and I've tried selecting the other members of my colony but when right clicking on max it does nothing except ask me if I want to prioritize cleaning dirt etc.

Is Max now broken forever, destined to wander my hallways until he dies or what?

CodyRex123

He'll be broken for awhile, or you can arrest him, get him better, and then release him, you gotta draft to arrest your own colonists.
Dragons!

Aenir

Colonists only go to bed when they need treatment.  Once they get treated they go back to work.

He'll snap out of it after a few hours.

_alphaBeta_

I've been torn on whether colonists getting up before their immunity is 100% is a bug or not. Tynan's intent isn't quite clear to me on this one. I personally find it annoying since there is a slight bonus to staying in a medical bed for the duration as far as "immunity development speed" goes. They do, however and thankfully, usually stay put for the duration once you order them back the first time.

I'd prefer all patients stay put until 100% healed, unless the player explicitly orders them up. It's currently the other way around. Maybe an option for this if there's support of the status quo? Is there any?

Max's sickness may have contributed to his mental breakage, but being sick and mentally broken are two different states that can co-exist. That may be confusing to new players. Assuming there aren't other circumstances, a normal colonist with a good mood going into the sickness who receives proper care, shouldn't mentally break. Sounds like an unfortunate chain of events or storytelling.

A mentally broken colonist with an active sickness or infection is a problem. Their "immunity development speed" will take a hit since the colonist isn't taking care of themselves or being taken care of during the break. You run a real risk of having the colonist recover from the breakage (this is automatic and somewhat random from my experience) too late before being compromised by the sickness or infection. I usually arrest. As was said, draft your colonist first before attempting an arrest and the option will be there. At least they'll receive food, rest and treatment will being recruited once more. Better than dead.

City Builder

Yeah, um... Max is becoming a real problem.  I did do the draft and arrested Max and gave him medicine, food and friendly chat while trying to recruit him.

Eventually he was recruited again even though it took forever but he's still sick with the flu.

I sent him to the medical bed once more and see that my medical supplies are going down and going to him but just as he seems to get better he wanders back off again and when I find him, he's terribly ill again with the flu.  I send him back to the medical bed, he seems to be getting better and then wanders off again to go do some job.

Maybe the only option is to turn off all jobs for him, although I suspect that will just mean that he leaves the medical bed (while still being sick) to go and stretch his legs.

He's really starting to annoy me and if it weren't for his high skills in constructing, mining etc I think I should just let him wander off and die already, at least his dead body might help the rest of the colonists in a small way, I really wish they'd simply stay in the medical bed until fully healed or the player orders them out of the bed, this is a tad bit annoying.

_alphaBeta_

Are you selecting the second option when you right click the medical bed with Max selected? I think it says something like "rest until healed." "Prioritize receiving treatment" may work find for a gunshot wound, but doesn't always keep them in place like the second option will. A sick colonist in a bed will receive treatment regardless.

lusername

Quote from: City Builder on March 01, 2015, 08:01:09 PM
Yeah, um... Max is becoming a real problem.  I did do the draft and arrested Max and gave him medicine, food and friendly chat while trying to recruit him.
You don't have to re-recruit him. If you release a colonist you put in the brig, he resumes being a colonist. Just talk to him long enough to give him the warden boost, and then let him back out. If he continues to be a flakejob, it's time to harvest his organs.

Panzer

I think the catch is you need to tell him to "rest and heal" after he got his daily treatment, if it says "flu (minor, untreated)" and he is ordered to rest and heal he ll get up again after being treated, despite being sick.

Since it is flu you also need to watch out for your patient when he throws up, colonists might stop their current task after vomiting, and he ll be wandering once again.