[MOD] [A9] Gunsmithing Table

Started by twoski, March 01, 2015, 09:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoski

Hello all.

Here is a simple mod that allows you to research gunsmithing. It takes 1200 research points to research it, and once you do you get the ability to create gunsmithing tables. You can craft only bullet firing weapons (you aren't allowed to make plasma rifles, grenade launchers, etc). All weapon recipes require steel. More powerful weapons such as the LMG require some plasteel as well. If the person crafting is competent, they are more likely to make a good quality weapon. It takes a fair bit of time to craft weapons so plan accordingly.

I'm sure someone out there has done this type of mod before, i just wanted to get some practice as well as implement it in a way that i see as balanced and fair.

Image of it in action:

Grab it here: https://github.com/twoski/RimworldMods/archive/master.zip

Dump the GunSmithing folder from the zip file to your rimworld mods folder and enable it in the mod menu ingame to use it.

Alphanoob

Well, heck. I was working on this as part of research/progression overhaul I've been doing. I'll have to take a look at yours. Right now mine uses the recipemaker from melee weapons on guns. I just started making proper recipes and such maybe an hour ago.

Siberianhamster

I was playing with this yesterday. Work time and resource cost seems ok to me. I like being able to make the weapons but not being able to spam them out.

Please clean up the .rar though. I'm pretty careful about downloading anything, so I was worried about the file and other mod files inside.

Kaballah

This is just right, I was looking for a basic mod that allows crafting of the moderate power guns and this does what it says on the tin.  If you decide to expand it then you might add some more research branches to unlock other vanilla gun tech but it's really just fine as it is.

Kaballah

You know what, you ought to do a basic armorer's table that allows similar crafting of low/mid tier vanilla armors.

SilverTitch

Quote from: Kaballah on March 13, 2015, 01:49:57 AM
You know what, you ought to do a basic armorer's table that allows similar crafting of low/mid tier vanilla armors.

+1

><

Stup-krou

Yeah i agree with the armor table as well, it would be a very nice addition. I like the idea of having to do some research in order to unlock more advanced equipment to craft

Mathenaut

Going to start testing this.

Just remember when balancing, if you make it harder to craft than it is to just buy, then it defeats the point of the mod.

Kaballah

It's really fine, it's rewarding without being nuts/broken.  The only thing a little bit tricky is all the recipes require a certain amount of plasteel (e.g. assault rifles cost 15 plasteel).

Mathenaut

Hmm. With access to bulk traders, that's not too bad of a cost. Haven't gotten around to exploring the time to craft or the total work required of each weapon.

Kaballah

If anything it's a little bit TOO productive actually, my last colony I had a crafter with ~15 or so skill producing assault rifles in large enough quantity to cull the low-quality ones and sell them to traders, and had everyone walking around with excellent quality weaps.  I think it was taking about 2-3 game days to produce one assault rifle? I don't really feel this is too excessive though considering your colonists can build geothermal power plants in one day etc.

Kastuk

What about special non-electric workbench for primitive survival weapons&tools, like in old TechTreeMinami?

Mathenaut

2-3 days for a rifle at 15 crafter? That's not bad, actually.

I'm averaging just a little further on an 11, though the quality range is more dynamic. So far, not efficient for real economic impact, but enough to keep me above the quality of what raiders leave for me, which is mostly what I was aiming for.

Kaballah

I've decided to just go ahead and do an armor crafter's table like I asked about earlier myself, it looks very straightforward, so when I have something ready to work with I'll add a link here for those others who were interested.

Galven

i think the table should take more power to run like 700 or 600