How would I go about making a drying rack?

Started by KnucklyDuck, March 02, 2015, 04:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnucklyDuck

I have access to .dll and I know the basics however I may need help throughout the project.

It'd be a drying table on which meat dries when in high temperatures (1-infinity) optimal being 40 and above (celsius). I've been thinking of handling it like a plant grows, but I don't really know what I'm doing here.
Why do Java programmers have glasses?
Because they can't C#.

KnucklyDuck

I need a way to have a table giving a work order to deliver meat when there is an open slot (it's 1x3 and all three slots can hold/dry the meat (which can be in stacks of multiple and you get the same number back but dried) ) have it dry the meat when within those temperatures, have it give a work order to come collect the meat when finished. I'd like for it to have bills like a traditional work table as well so that the player can set how maby they want dried.

Thanks,
     KnucklyDuck
Because they can't C#.

KnucklyDuck

As it is now I think this is what I need to do, however I don't really know how.

Drying table
Set bills
-If bill is open have pawn bring up to -10 raw meat to the table in one of the three slots
-turn X number of meat into the same number of drying meat
-if bill is canceled turn meat back into raw meat
-when meat is finished drying have pawn collect it

Drying meat
-check temperature
-using temperature work out how much work is done per rare tick
-calculate new work left
-display information when clicked on our whatever
-When completed turn to dried meat
-let know it's ready to be collected
Because they can't C#.

Latta

Wouldnt it better to use Toil and JobDriver or something? I mean, I dont think bill will suit here.

There's a clean tutorial haplo wrote about toils and drivers. Can't give you link as Im using my phone now, but won't be a problem finding it.

KnucklyDuck

I reckon that would be right yeah, have a toil_BringMeat, toil_CollectMeat, and then have the table and the meat classes do their own thing.
Because they can't C#.

skullywag

Using toils and that arent you going to end up either microing production or constantly making dried meat. The bills approach gives you manageability but the "unattended" production is tricky. My approach would be to create a building that looks for rawmeat around it in the same room and dries if its roofed and at a certain temperature. Smoker could do this also. Use the motethrower to throw dustpuff when dry or smoke when smoked. Maybe a dehumidifier and a smoker building.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

KnucklyDuck

SO are you saying that the drying rack(dehumidifier) could act as a building that dries the meat within the same room?
Because they can't C#.

skullywag

I am, you would need to work out all the cells of the room, cycle them to find rawmeat then destroy them and replace with your new dried meat item, youll need to detect the stacksize and stuff like that, for now I would get the basics working worry about the complex parts later, get a custom building and custom meat def and have the building use a custom class. After that your best off finding some other mods/core that check areas to do things.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Blazergong

I posted annother topic on this in the help. Can't you do something with the rotting mechanism. Add someting similar but with the result of dried meat when left in heated rooms. for example if temp is below 0 degree celcius food wont spoil. The higher the temperature the quicker spoil rates (correct me if im wrong). some thing like when something rots at temperatures above 40 degree celcius it will change to annother non perishable item

KnucklyDuck

Quote from: Blazergong on March 04, 2015, 10:55:29 AM
I posted annother topic on this in the help. Can't you do something with the rotting mechanism. Add someting similar but with the result of dried meat when left in heated rooms. for example if temp is below 0 degree celcius food wont spoil. The higher the temperature the quicker spoil rates (correct me if im wrong). some thing like when something rots at temperatures above 40 degree celcius it will change to annother non perishable item
That wouldn't be ideal as it could be one rot away from rotting before hitting a heatwave and they all become dried instead. Personally I don't think that's ideal.

Quote from: skullywag on March 03, 2015, 06:27:31 PM
I am, you would need to work out all the cells of the room, cycle them to find rawmeat then destroy them and replace with your new dried meat item, youll need to detect the stacksize and stuff like that, for now I would get the basics working worry about the complex parts later, get a custom building and custom meat def and have the building use a custom class. After that your best off finding some other mods/core that check areas to do things.
I might look at the Orbital trade beacon and such, giving it a radius.
Because they can't C#.

Tipx

I'm interested in knowing the outcome of that discussion because I'm working on a way to have organs decay/spoil over time, and also have a building accept some ingredients that are "good enough" (like something that has been dead for less than a day, even though it would take 5 to spoil, per se).

I think the concepts, and library interaction, would be linked!