[Low-tech] Campfire food & Nutrient paste dispenser (storage)

Started by Kegereneku, March 02, 2015, 05:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kegereneku

I just posted on a topic about making "low tech settlement" easier, or how to live without electricity, or cooler.

One of the first thing noted is the inability to cook without electricity.
So I'm suggesting Campfire.
It could be a "Bill" thing, or colonist taking raw food and eating at the camp fire.
Then, without cooler available, I don't see a good way of storing big amount of food long before winter (though huge harvest right before it freeze should work).

This above made me remember :
The Nutrient Paste Dispenser.
It doesn't store food does it ? It only convert what's on the hopper.
Because of that I find it have all the flaw of non-refrigerated food source with no advantage except easiness to use.
Suggestion : making it able to convert directly and store the paste indefinitely as long as there is power.

All I could think of.
Don't hesitate if you have food-related idea for low-tech settlement (say : no electricity & no-cooler before the first winter)
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Vagabond

Kegereneku,

Awesome topic. I used EdB Prepare Carefully to attempt to start a tribal colony with no electricity and realized that without electricty, you're pretty much doomed to fail.

I think this should change. You should be able to survive completely without power. Still formulating how all the interactions would work, but so far I've come up with:

Campfire: Can cook on it, and it provides heat.
Pit Cache: Can refigerate food; if there was a way to "feed it" ice/snow, you could lower temps in the pit even more.
Thinking Stone: Basically the famous statue of "The Thinker" inspire this; It'd be an early research "bench". A rock that they sit on...and think!
Stoneworks: A place to make early weapons
Awl and rack: a place to make early clothing/armor

This is a good resource for what should be possible without electricty:

http://www.ancientcraft.co.uk/Archaeology/stone-age/stoneage_living.html

Cheers,
Michael

EDIT: Actually that site has good information for the progression from stone to iron... hrm.