[1.4] Mad Skills 1.4-2.6.0 - skill degradation begone! (2022-10-21)

Started by Ratys, March 03, 2015, 05:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratys

Mad Skills

Description
A collection of tweaks (found in Options -> Mod Settings -> Mad Skills) to change or turn off skill degradation and learning saturation.

Does not require a new colony to add, tune, or remove.

Preview image by Shinzy.

Available tweaks:
  • Decay multiplier: value to multiply default skill XP decay potency by. 0% for none, 50% for half, 200% for double, etc.
  • Tiered: prevents skills from going down a level; XP to next level decays as per multiplier setting.
  • Alternative "great memory": changes behavior of "great memory" trait: instead of halving skill decay rate it will now increase learning rate by 25%.
  • Daily XP limit: after this amount of XP is earned in a skill, all subsequent learning of it is multiplied by value below, until midnight.
  • Over-limit multiplier: multiplies XP gained in a skill which has already advanced the above amount that day. Set to 100% to disable daily XP limit altogether.

Contributing new translations: create a translation mod.

Download

How to install

• Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
  • Activate the mod in mod menu in the game.
  • Configure to your liking in Options -> Mod settings -> Mad Skills.

"Buy me a coffee!"

herrcaptain

This is awesome! I'd rather just tone it down a lot than eliminate it entirely but it's great to know that this is possible and I'm sure this mod is going to make a lot of people VERY happy.

Great work!

FridayBiology

can you make it so that skills reduce to the next stage of expertise?
thinking 3,6,9,12,15,18 as once your awesome at social not talking to anyone for a week shouldn't be a problem
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

herrcaptain

That's actually a really cool idea. I had always thought that a "tapered" system would be good - like skills between 10-15 decrease at a slower rate than they do now, but 16-18 decrease a bit faster and 19-20 quite fast, but your idea would have a similar end result. Either way, I personally like that there is a skill degradation system in the game - I just think it's too punishing at the moment. That said, looking at the recent changelogs it looks like this is already being tweaked.

Ratys

Quote from: Feirfec on March 03, 2015, 07:41:02 PM
can you make it so that skills reduce to the next stage of expertise?
thinking 3,6,9,12,15,18 as once your awesome at social not talking to anyone for a week shouldn't be a problem

Well, skill degradation doesn't happen until level 10, but that's an interesting idea nonetheless. Maybe just make it so that skills can't degrade into previous level, but can lose progress to next level. I'll look into it and probably release a "flavor" somewhen today.

DDRMANIAC007

I remember making a request thread about this a while ago. Awesome to see it became a real thing!

TimTumm

Thank you.  the fact that it did not yet exist had made think it was impossible (hardcoded).  Well done.

Ratys

Quote from: TimTumm on March 05, 2015, 12:53:20 PM
Thank you.  the fact that it did not yet exist had made think it was impossible (hardcoded).  Well done.

It is indeed hard-coded, I'm simply doing the same things that ticks skills down, but in reverse. It's simple, it's stupid, but it works :P

daveboy2000

Ratys

Quote from: daveboy2000 on March 05, 2015, 02:57:39 PM
The mod doesn't seem to work for me, skill still degrades.

That's... weird. I've downloaded my own latest release and chucked it into a fresh install, both versions work just fine.

Could you list exact actions you took installing it and your desired outcome?

daveboy2000

I downloaded the regular version, dragged and dropped it into my mods folder, activated it in the main menu, and started my colony. I noted down the XP level of one of my main artist, and checked it later after doing nothing. It was lower.

Edit: Looking over your post again, I think something might be off with your injector if anything, saving and reloading hasn't helped the issue either.

Mathenaut

Never thought that this added much for my experience anyways.

Thanks for this mod.

Ratys

Well, a sure-fire check if the mod is working would be mousing over a skill with level higher than 9 and accelerating time; normally even at level 10 you would see experience to next level slowly go down, higher levels are quite fast; if the mod is active nothing of the sort happens.

Then you could load up your game, open up the console (tilda key, above tab; just in case) and check if there are lines saying "MapComponentInjector: map already has RTMadSkills.MapComponent_RTSkillIncreaser" or "MapComponentInjector: adding RTMadSkills.MapComponent_RTSkillIncreaser" and "MapComponentInjector: success!", both of which mean the mod should be working now.

It's of course possible there's some other way their experience went down, but I haven't encountered any such mechanisms, and they likely wouldn't be the "natural degradation" the mod aims to disable.

Hmm... Are you sure they didn't go up a level? Character screen displays experience needed to next level, which naturally starts from zero after leveling up.

EDIT:

The injector update is recent, so just in case: check the version you have.

daveboy2000

Oh, I redownloaded it and it works now, seems I missed the injector by at worst a few hours I guess. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ykara

I really like this mod, but it feels pretty overpowered. Could you make a version that only reduces the skill degradation, but not removes it? Maybe 50% of the vanilla degradation rate. I'd really like to see that!