[A13] Bulk Meals v2.4 updated for A13 May 2, 2016

Started by Igabod, March 03, 2015, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverTitch

Quote from: Igabod on March 04, 2015, 08:08:02 AM

one more option for balancing (and making bulk cooking less viable as a source of income) is to increase the number of ingredients a bit more than an even 4:1 ratio. It's not quite realistic (as far as I know) but it is a good way to balance the mod.

would work. maybe 12 for 4 meals (48 total) and if your going to 8 at a time 15 each, so it increases usage of raw foods higher for bigger bulks. I like it already.

><

Igabod

Quote from: SilverTitch on March 04, 2015, 08:43:53 AM
Quote from: Igabod on March 04, 2015, 08:08:02 AM

one more option for balancing (and making bulk cooking less viable as a source of income) is to increase the number of ingredients a bit more than an even 4:1 ratio. It's not quite realistic (as far as I know) but it is a good way to balance the mod.

would work. maybe 12 for 4 meals (48 total) and if your going to 8 at a time 15 each, so it increases usage of raw foods higher for bigger bulks. I like it already.

><

Alright, the next update is shaping up on paper nicely so far. All that needs to be decided now really is how much research time should be put on the bulk cooking research. Should it be early, middle, or late game research levels? I'm thinking mid game levels. Also, should 4 meals require research and only be possible on the professional cook stove? Or should I leave that as no research required and make-able on the vanilla stove as well as the pro stove leaving just the 8 meals needing research?

Add recipes for cooking 8 meals.
Add research requirement for bulk cooking 8 meals.
Add professional cook stove that unlocks with the research mentioned above.
Increase cost per meal slightly for the 4 meals and even more for 8 meals.

Also, you can see my first 2 versions of the texture for the professional stove in the attachments. I can't decide whether to go with the same color as the vanilla stove or go with a fancy golden color. Or maybe some other color would look better. Since I'm going with the whole "ask the users for input on everything" thing with this mod, I'll let you decide.

[attachment deleted due to age]

drakulux

Hi igabod, I would say go with a more neutral color, the golden is so glary. Also you instead of 8 cookers,you could add a mini grill to the end which can act as an attachment. Also knife and spoon on chopping board?.

I also think it would be good to increase the ingredients used as bulk goes up, it could simulate some bad food in the bunch, bigger portions.... it should also take about 2 times longer than it takes to make 1 to make 4, it will give the chance to better plan what is necessary at the moment too.

SilverTitch

pro2png, the more neutral looking of the 2 id say. I don't think it should take much to research, after all its just a bigger stove. higher restrictions on cooking level and slight "wastage" seems to be the way. maybe around 1000 research points (= to hospital beds). Also +1 for drakulux idea on cooking time. Aye the mods in to save some time, i'd personally go a little lower, maybe 1.5 times as long for 4 meals and double time for 8. After around an hour of using this mod i've found that it is saving a lot of time (much more than originally thought). when there's no raw food left in the freezer i'm "hauling" 40 berries instead of just the 10, so time is being saved on haulers jobs as we'll as cooking.

And once again Igabod, Thanks a lot for this mod.

><

Igabod

Quote from: SilverTitch on March 04, 2015, 10:13:38 AM
pro2png, the more neutral looking of the 2 id say. I don't think it should take much to research, after all its just a bigger stove. higher restrictions on cooking level and slight "wastage" seems to be the way. maybe around 1000 research points (= to hospital beds). Also +1 for drakulux idea on cooking time. Aye the mods in to save some time, i'd personally go a little lower, maybe 1.5 times as long for 4 meals and double time for 8. After around an hour of using this mod i've found that it is saving a lot of time (much more than originally thought). when there's no raw food left in the freezer i'm "hauling" 40 berries instead of just the 10, so time is being saved on haulers jobs as we'll as cooking.

And once again Igabod, Thanks a lot for this mod.

><

In previous versions I would be able to change the amount of time it takes to cook the meal. But in alpha 9, Tynan removed that part of the code from the recipes and if he changed it to something else then I'm not sure what it changed to. So for now the cook time is a fixed variable that can't be altered unless someone knows a way and can tell me the XML tag for it.

Also, I've made another version of the professional stove. I added a knife on the cutting board and moved that to the center and put the burners on either side. I'm not sure how well the knife will show up in the game just yet, but I just copied the knife from the butcher table so it will be very vanilla either way. Check the attachments to see the new texture and let me know if you like it like that or prefer the burners all to be right next to each other.

SilverTitch

Quote from: Igabod on March 04, 2015, 05:58:39 PM
In previous versions I would be able to change the amount of time it takes to cook the meal. But in alpha 9, Tynan removed that part of the code from the recipes and if he changed it to something else then I'm not sure what it changed to. So for now the cook time is a fixed variable that can't be altered unless someone knows a way and can tell me the XML tag for it.

Also, I've made another version of the professional stove. I added a knife on the cutting board and moved that to the center and put the burners on either side. I'm not sure how well the knife will show up in the game just yet, but I just copied the knife from the butcher table so it will be very vanilla either way. Check the attachments to see the new texture and let me know if you like it like that or prefer the burners all to be right next to each other.

Shame about the time change. But i suppose it takes just as long to boil 1 potato as it does 10. Personally keep the rings together, just because colonist tend to use the centre of the stove, or centre and left for 2 ingredients. I do really like the pict tho, it makes me feel at work, chopping board in the middle, fryers to my left and stove on my right. haha.

><

Igabod

Quote from: SilverTitch on March 04, 2015, 07:45:47 PM

Shame about the time change. But i suppose it takes just as long to boil 1 potato as it does 10. Personally keep the rings together, just because colonist tend to use the centre of the stove, or centre and left for 2 ingredients. I do really like the pict tho, it makes me feel at work, chopping board in the middle, fryers to my left and stove on my right. haha.

><

I just thought of something interesting. Maximum stack limit of food ingredients is 75. I don't think there is enough room on the stove to do 8 lavish meals at the same time... I'm going to have to test that to be sure. But if that is a problem then I might have to make the pro stove 4 tiles wide... not even sure if that would work to fix the possible problem. But I'll wait till I know if there is an actual problem before I worry about possible solutions. I'll do a test tonight.

SilverTitch

Quote from: Igabod on March 04, 2015, 08:15:04 PM
Quote from: SilverTitch on March 04, 2015, 07:45:47 PM

><

I just thought of something interesting. Maximum stack limit of food ingredients is 75. I don't think there is enough room on the stove to do 8 lavish meals at the same time... I'm going to have to test that to be sure. But if that is a problem then I might have to make the pro stove 4 tiles wide... not even sure if that would work to fix the possible problem. But I'll wait till I know if there is an actual problem before I worry about possible solutions. I'll do a test tonight.

4 wide stove would be nice. 8 range left, chopping board centre right and grill on the far right. would make the advanced stove look more advanced while still nicely fitting in beside a vanilla one.

><

Igabod

Quote from: SilverTitch on March 04, 2015, 08:26:59 PM
4 wide stove would be nice. 8 range left, chopping board centre right and grill on the far right. would make the advanced stove look more advanced while still nicely fitting in beside a vanilla one.

><

As it turns out, a 4 wide stove isn't absolutely necessary. The colonist just puts the 4th stack of food on the ground where they stand and it works magically. I'm not sure I like that though so I'm going to test with a 4 wide stove and see if it actually puts all the food on the stove. If not I might reduce the number to 6 and just add 2 burners instead of 4 so that all the food will actually fit on the stove. Testing a 4 wide stove will take a bit more work than just testing the 8 meals recipe on the vanilla stove though. I have to actually make a texture, even a temporary one will take a little time, and then I have to make the item definition for the stove which will take a minute or so but still that's work. So I'm going to take a break for a couple hours and work on some much needed cleaning/packing before I get back to working on this.

SilverTitch

Quote from: Igabod on March 04, 2015, 09:12:39 PM

As it turns out, a 4 wide stove isn't absolutely necessary. The colonist just puts the 4th stack of food on the ground where they stand and it works magically. I'm not sure I like that though so I'm going to test with a 4 wide stove and see if it actually puts all the food on the stove. If not I might reduce the number to 6 and just add 2 burners instead of 4 so that all the food will actually fit on the stove. Testing a 4 wide stove will take a bit more work than just testing the 8 meals recipe on the vanilla stove though. I have to actually make a texture, even a temporary one will take a little time, and then I have to make the item definition for the stove which will take a minute or so but still that's work. So I'm going to take a break for a couple hours and work on some much needed cleaning/packing before I get back to working on this.

could still go 8 for simple / fine meals and if need be reduce the lavish recipe to 6 at a time? but i like the sound of 4 wide stove for advanced stove's, (bigger kitchen for bigger operation) assuming it works of coarse. As for the rest, take your time mate, you've done hundreds already with the 4 meals at a time. really appreciate you doing this mod, especially since i have no clue what am doing with that side of computer's / programming. Has helped more than i thought it would have and fixed the common sense part of cooking that was bugging me. haha. Rimworld now has a restaurant! just need a waiter to shout at and its perfect. hahaha.

><

RemingtonRyder

It's too bad that you can't pass ingredients along in a two-stage cooking process.

In other words, you could have an item called 'Group Meal for Four' which is made out of a certain number of raw food ingredients, and has a higher work to make on the item. But then when you do the second stage which cooks that into four seperate servings, the ingredient would be 'Group Meal for Four.' :(

I mean, I guess there's a way to make it work, a bit like the cooking process for Agrarian Skies, but I forsee needing two cooks and stoves to make it work!

Igabod

Version 2.0 has been uploaded.

There is a research topic which unlocks the Professional Cook Stove.
Pro Cook Stove can make single meals, 4 meals, or 8 meals at once.
Vanilla Cook Stove can make single meals or 4 meals at a time with no research requirements.

It took a while to get the texture looking good enough for me to say it's fine for a first draft. I'll probably improve the textures later on when I have more time to fiddle with details. It can be seen in the attachments.

SilverTitch

Quote from: Igabod on March 05, 2015, 01:41:23 AM

Vanilla Cook Stove can make single meals or 4 meals at a time with no research requirements.

It took a while to get the texture looking good enough for me to say it's fine for a first draft. I'll probably improve the textures later on when I have more time to fiddle with details. It can be seen in the attachments.

awesome work mate! New stove looks really good and fit for purpose. think i might just go ahead and kidnap you, outta love of coarse. haha.

><

Igabod

Quote from: SilverTitch on March 05, 2015, 07:25:35 AM
Quote from: Igabod on March 05, 2015, 01:41:23 AM

awesome work mate! New stove looks really good and fit for purpose. think i might just go ahead and kidnap you, outta love of coarse. haha.

><

Sometimes I wish someone would kidnap me. But I'm a 31 year old man with no money to speak of so it would be a losing proposition for the kidnappers.

Mathenaut

I like this. Alot.

As for balance, meals don't really sell for much anyways, so there's already a diminishing return on how this could be exploited. What this really does is cut down on monotony. I love this mod so much.

Far as 'realism' goes, cooking multiple meals isn't harder. A higher skill would represent efficiency, which is more related to cooking time as opposed to wasting resources. That's sort of already accounted for.