[A13] Bulk Meals v2.4 updated for A13 May 2, 2016

Started by Igabod, March 03, 2015, 09:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

Tired of not utilizing all 4 burners on that cook stove? Well, now a sufficiently skilled cook can simultaneously cook 4 meals at the same time. And with a little bit of research and a lot of skill, one might even manage to cook as many as 8 meals at the same time using the professional cook stove.

SAVEGAME COMPATIBLE: no issues were found when loading this up on an existing save game.

Changelog:

V1.0 - First release.

V2.0 - Added recipes to cook 8 of each type of meal at one time. Added professional cook stove. Added research to unlock pro cook stove.

V2.1 - Added longer cook times to the bulk cooking recipes. May need adjusting, so please leave feedback.

V2.2 - Updated for Alpha 10

V2.3 - Added Beany_for_ever's .dll.

V2.4 - Updated for alpha 11, 12, and 13 by Dismar

DOWNLOAD V2.4 HERE

Credits are due to:

Beany_for_ever: For his .dll contribution.
Dismar: For updating to alpha 11, 12, and 13 while I was busy with real life.

Licensing: Use this mod any way you like with no restrictions at all. Just post a link back to this thread on the original post for whatever mod or mod pack you use it in.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

MrWashingToad

Kickstarter Influencer tier backer. Last Name in Game: Sewell
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdrI_JSqof-Zk1j9-kBKXjQ
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/MrWashingToad
Twitter: @MrWashingToad

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Igabod

Quote from: Tasher on March 03, 2015, 10:02:02 PM
Thank you!!!!

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on March 04, 2015, 12:41:18 AM
Very nice. Thanks, Igabod!

No problem folks. It was super easy to do and it was something I have needed in my own games, just didn't know I needed it until someone suggested it on another mods thread.

SilverTitch

Thank you Igabod. Now for mass food poisoning instead of one at a time. Great touch to the game, will be giving it a try. thanks.

><

Igabod

Quote from: SilverTitch on March 04, 2015, 06:04:32 AM
Thank you Igabod. Now for mass food poisoning instead of one at a time. Great touch to the game, will be giving it a try. thanks.

><

No problem, and this can be added on to an existing save game with no problems at all.

SilverTitch

Just gave it a try, and so far no problems. Added to previously saved game and added new bill on stove. thanks mate. I would suggest making it a little harder, as in my opinion cooking 4 meals is harder than cooking one "nice" meal. Thats your call tho. loving the touch and instantly feeling a lot more realistic.

><

Igabod

Quote from: SilverTitch on March 04, 2015, 07:03:54 AM
Just gave it a try, and so far no problems. Added to previously saved game and added new bill on stove. thanks mate. I would suggest making it a little harder, as in my opinion cooking 4 meals is harder than cooking one "nice" meal. Thats your call tho. loving the touch and instantly feeling a lot more realistic.

><

I may bump the skill requirement up slightly, but I won't make simple meals higher requirements than single fine meals. I had it that way at first and tested with a requirement of 6 for the bulk simple meals (1 fine meal requires 5) and it just seemed ridiculous to do it that way. There is no skill requirement for making a single simple meal so to make an absurdly high requirement just to make more than 1 seemed unfair. I think a requirement of 4 is fair enough. Most unskilled cooks will start with 3 in cooking so they would need to level up at least once before being able to cook in bulk. And I made the requirement for fine and lavish meals 1 higher than the single counterparts.

I am considering adding another step higher in quantity however, and that would give more opportunity for higher requirements which means there would actually be a point to leveling cooking beyond 11.

I'd be open to some brainstorming for the number of meals for the next level up as well as skill requirements for each quality of meal in the next level.

I'm thinking maybe double the number, so 8 meals at once. And requirement for simple would be 5, fine would be 9 (higher jump than for simple), and lavish would be maybe 15 (again an even higher jump but this simulates the complexity of doing large quantities of something with lots of ingredients). But this is open for debate before I make any changes.

[edit to add] Also, an idea for the future possibly, I could make a research requirement which unlocks a new cook stove with 8 burners which would allow you to cook the 8 at once (as well as 4 or just 1). That would maybe balance it a bit more.

SilverTitch

At what level does the game class professional? at 8 meals at a time id class that as pro cooking. and the time saved by this mod is already a huge bonus so making it harder to bulk cook is a way to evens it out.

Just checked my game and although all my pawns are working, i can no longer see them in overview. Only mod i have running is this one. have taken a screenshot but don't know where its stored, so will troll thru comp see if i can find it and post here.

><

Igabod

Quote from: SilverTitch on March 04, 2015, 07:30:25 AM
At what level does the game class professional? at 8 meals at a time id class that as pro cooking. and the time saved by this mod is already a huge bonus so making it harder to bulk cook is a way to evens it out.

Just checked my game and although all my pawns are working, i can no longer see them in overview. Only mod i have running is this one. have taken a screenshot but don't know where its stored, so will troll thru comp see if i can find it and post here.

><

That's a bug that I haven't run across since alpha 6 myself, but it is a core game bug. You might be able to fix it by saving it and exiting to OS and then restarting the game and loading your save.

SilverTitch

Quote from: Igabod on March 04, 2015, 07:32:23 AM

><

That's a bug that I haven't run across since alpha 6 myself, but it is a core game bug. You might be able to fix it by saving it and exiting to OS and then restarting the game and loading your save.

Aye that worked. haha. Silly derp moment. Noticed as soon as i hit send on last post that i hadnt quit to OS only to main menu.

><

Igabod

Quote from: SilverTitch on March 04, 2015, 07:35:33 AM
Quote from: Igabod on March 04, 2015, 07:32:23 AM

><

Aye that worked. haha. Silly derp moment. Noticed as soon as i hit send on last post that i hadnt quit to OS only to main menu.

><

I just realized I forgot to answer your other question. I personally think professional level is reached when you can cook a lavish meal (in the vanilla game). Anything beyond that is just not needed really. And I agree that bulk cooking the fine and lavish meals should be a bit of a challenge. But with simple meals, which only use one ingredient, how hard could it be to size up from 1 serving to 4 or 8 or 40 even. That's like boiling potatoes. You really don't have to do much except make sure the pot doesn't boil over or boil dry.

Kairo Kemaro

This is one of those small mods that really help alot. Thanks! ;D

SilverTitch

I just realized I forgot to answer your other question. I personally think professional level is reached when you can cook a lavish meal (in the vanilla game). Anything beyond that is just not needed really. And I agree that bulk cooking the fine and lavish meals should be a bit of a challenge. But with simple meals, which only use one ingredient, how hard could it be to size up from 1 serving to 4 or 8 or 40 even. That's like boiling potatoes. You really don't have to do much except make sure the pot doesn't boil over or boil dry.
[/quote]

You'd be suprised with some of the kitchens i've worked in. hahaha. I do agree that simple meals arent hard and shouldnt be set to challenging. My thinking tho is the trade potency. a small colony bulk cooking simple meals = loads of silver for nothing. Higher cooking reqs means you wont be bulk cooking until there is a need for it, eg larger colony. By the time your colony has grown your chef will be trained to be able to cope with this work. The 4 min cooking for 4 meals just now seems fine, easier than one fine meal but not set to no skill needed (like 1 simple meal). but if your planning on staging up bulk meals to 8 or higher id be considering a much greater difficulty. a colony of say 16 people meals 2x per day feeds the gang, the rest is profit. should have to work for this money. at 4 a time its 4 times per day to feed then onto profit

><

Igabod

Quote from: SilverTitch on March 04, 2015, 08:02:05 AM
You'd be suprised with some of the kitchens i've worked in. hahaha. I do agree that simple meals arent hard and shouldnt be set to challenging. My thinking tho is the trade potency. a small colony bulk cooking simple meals = loads of silver for nothing. Higher cooking reqs means you wont be bulk cooking until there is a need for it, eg larger colony. By the time your colony has grown your chef will be trained to be able to cope with this work. The 4 min cooking for 4 meals just now seems fine, easier than one fine meal but not set to no skill needed (like 1 simple meal). but if your planning on staging up bulk meals to 8 or higher id be considering a much greater difficulty. a colony of say 16 people meals 2x per day feeds the gang, the rest is profit. should have to work for this money. at 4 a time its 4 times per day to feed then onto profit

><

one more option for balancing (and making bulk cooking less viable as a source of income) is to increase the number of ingredients a bit more than an even 4:1 ratio. It's not quite realistic (as far as I know) but it is a good way to balance the mod.