[1.1] Rimsenal v1.5: beta edition

Started by rooki1, March 03, 2015, 11:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you want to see in the next update?

Improvised equipments pack: Homemade pistol, pipe shotgun, scrap armor... and glorious Thunderstick!
34 (20.5%)
Xeno beasts pack: Is there anyone want to see a genetically modified cyber-raptor?
68 (41%)
Celestial pack: New faction pack. Adds new xeno human faction, the celestials.
64 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Voting closed: September 02, 2015, 09:08:09 PM

sanya02

Nimbian

well Rooki1 is allowed to have a life past making mods for rimworld :) not matter how awesome those mods are... :)

That said I hope the storm get here soon :)

K9UNIT

Woah,will we be able to control the federation!? I mean,i'm not the only one that wants to abuse the Federator and the Ordinator,right?

A_Soft_Machine_Man

Hey rooki, I really, really love this mod, but I'm having a hard time actually getting it to run. Really, ever since I've upgraded to Alpha 9e, I've been having a really hard time getting mods to work. I've tried all the typical trouble shooting things of clearing my config folder, re-downloading and re-extracting the mods, resetting my instance/computer, and nothing so far has worked. Every time I boot up the game, I get a laundry list of errors from the debug menu.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and how I can fix it?

UMK

It seems like a catastrophic failure during mod installation surgery.

A_Soft_Machine_Man

Okay, disregard my last post. Turns out I was just being dumb and overlooking some sub folders. Everything is working fine now.

Leif

Looks quaity, but why no shout-out to the obviously Halo/Destiny ripped inspired weapons and armor?  (i.e. the Frost looks like most Destiny auto rifles; the Glacier like the covenant sniper rifle; Trollbane is basically identical to the magnum pistol, ORM is basically identical to the gravity hammer, Dverger is obviously Spartan armor, Pacificator is basically identical to the human assault rifle, "Interactor" looks very much like generic warlock armor in Destiny, etc.)  Kinda shady to not give any credit.

Boboid

Quote from: Leif on April 05, 2015, 02:51:28 AM
Looks quaity, but why no shout-out to the obviously Halo/Destiny ripped inspired weapons and armor?  (i.e. the Frost looks like most Destiny auto rifles; the Glacier like the covenant sniper rifle; Trollbane is basically identical to the magnum pistol, ORM is basically identical to the gravity hammer, Dverger is obviously Spartan armor, Pacificator is basically identical to the human assault rifle, "Interactor" looks very much like generic warlock armor in Destiny, etc.)  Kinda shady to not give any credit.
There's nothing intrinsically unique about a single piece of Halo or Destiny equipment. They're all incredibly generic.

Everyone is fishing from the same well in any case.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

UMK

All assault riffles in Halo is basically indentical to M-16, should Bungie give any credit to Colt/ArmaLite? Only visor of Dwarf armor looks sort of familiar. You have very strange metrics of 'basical indentity'.
So: proof or didn't happen.

apljee

Can't tell if you're trolling or not, but let's make the comparisons:

Okay. A nice automatic rifle. It's different that the one below, which you can tell just by looking at it.

Okay. A nice, standard auto-rifle. Nothing wrong with that. It actually looks quite unique in it's own sense.

I honestly think this is quite unique as it is. If you just look at it, and compare it to the photo above, you can see that these two share no similarities. The only Halo gun that it would share similarities with is the covenant carbine.

-----------------------------------------

Okay. All original pieces here!

This looks nothing like a Trollbane. The trollbane has a different barrel, and even the grip on the gun is different - not to mention the colour difference and how there's no bar near the trigger/handle.

This looks similar, not an identical copy, to the ORM. As you can see, this hammer has more of a sharp blade at the end, and it has lights that are inside of the hammer. The ORM, on the other hand, looks like a normal hammer with a similar 1/2 of the gravity hammer's-hammer part.

...what?

--------------------------------------------

All unique!

What the heck are you talking about, m9? These two look nothing similar.

The only one I can say you've got me on is how Interactor is like Warlock armor in Destiny. But it's kinda shady to take someone's work and call it a copycat because of not-really similar looking things. ;) Didn't mean to go all inspector gadget, I just have nothing to do today.

apljee

Point is, it's probably hard to come up with your own weapons that don't look similar to anyone else's weapons, so don't diss him.

A_Soft_Machine_Man

Okay, so after four or so hours of playing around with the mod, I have to say I absolutely love it. However, I am somewhat curious as to how the "optic" weapons function.

I'll admit I haven't taken a peek at any of the defs yet, so I'm just going off observation, but as far as I can tell they work almost like a confined lightning strike, dealing "burn" damage in a small area.

However, I've also seen instances of it seeming to whiff outright, where a (naked) character will get caught in the blast, but suffer no damage. Am I just getting unlucky, or is it really just a contact damage weapon like every other gun, and just has a cool effect when fired?

Leif

Quote from: UMK on April 05, 2015, 08:31:04 AM
All assault riffles in Halo is basically indentical to M-16, should Bungie give any credit to Colt/ArmaLite? Only visor of Dwarf armor looks sort of familiar. You have very strange metrics of 'basical indentity'.
So: proof or didn't happen.

LOL, yeah OK buddy. Nice attempt though.  I see the Rimworld "Modders can do no wrong" white-knight train continues at full speed. And now with 100% more inaccuracies about M16's as a bonus!

Nimbian

Wow, guys wow.

arguing about how much a pixilated image of a sifi/fantasy's game MOD slightly resembles another game's/real world Item is out right silly.

Should the modder's now have to put up disclaimers?

How about every mod here adding "Any resemblance to any real or fantasy persons, places or things are entirely coincidental!"

It is a Mod

About Weapons

and the Argument seems to be centered around wither or not it resembles some one elses work?
Well heres a Clue it Does.

Because a Rifle looks like a Rifle Because if it didn't it wouldn't be a Rifle now would it?

Why?
Wiki has this in the description of Rifle
"A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder" if it looked like any thing else we wouldn't look at the small little image on the screen and immediately think Rifle

It is a 100 x 100 pixel image. That is a mere 10000 pixels to tell us what the item is; and with a rifle which is a long-arm, cut that by half, so in 5000 pixels the creator of the image has to show us that it is a rifle in such a way that immediately informs the viewer that it is.

In Conclusion the Answer to wither or not Rooki1's mod Weapons resembles some other weapons form game/movies/books/real-world. YES THEY DO.
did Rooki1 base the looks on another game or real world object, Almost certainly very little is original when you have certain constraints IE must look identifiable as a rifle

my Question to you guys is this WHY is THIS important to YOU?
And WHY should it be important to ME?

You can agree with what I think/say or not, Heck you can even tell me so in PM or Here (thou I rather return the discussion to talking about Rimsenal and its mechanics), So far its been civil lets strive to keep it that way please.

Saularian

If you don't like the way it looks, don't use the mod.
If weapons look like weapons in another game, who cares? Most weapons you see in games today are usually based on weapons in older games. Heck, even in real life weapons are actually copies of older weapons as aesthetics isn't really something the manufacturers are really concerned about... Armies don't buy weaponry because they look cool...
And if you want some direct copies, look at the M16 and the C7...

That being said, rook1 is doing a class-act job on the textures, and it gives me a better idea on how to get my own textures look better in the shading and colouring department.

So, keep up the great work rook1!