[1.1] Rimsenal v1.5: beta edition

Started by rooki1, March 03, 2015, 11:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you want to see in the next update?

Improvised equipments pack: Homemade pistol, pipe shotgun, scrap armor... and glorious Thunderstick!
34 (20.5%)
Xeno beasts pack: Is there anyone want to see a genetically modified cyber-raptor?
68 (41%)
Celestial pack: New faction pack. Adds new xeno human faction, the celestials.
64 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Voting closed: September 02, 2015, 09:08:09 PM

Deimos Rast

Quote from: Rafe009 on September 05, 2016, 08:17:57 PM
snip
Yeah, you're pretty much right. And building off of what Reviire was saying, in the PawnKinds_Feral and PawnKinds_Mutant defs it lists what weapons the Pawn is allowed to carry (such as "Orge" for Mutant or "FeralGrenade" or "FeralGunHeavy" for Ferals).
Based on what you're saying, the Feral weapons however seem to be inheriting the stock WeaponTags from their Parent classes. I would have thought they get overwritten, but I guess not. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like rooki1 imported the bases, which would have made this a lot easier, especially if you're newer. I'm tempted to just give you my version which has the bases imported (I also reworked this mod too, haha), but I don't see a license anywhere.
If you're committed to it, I can walk you through it via PM - it's not too bad, just a copy paste and find and fetch type deal.
Anyway, to land the plane, once you have the discrete bases the Feral weapons are inheriting from, you would then delete the stock WeaponsTags from them, and it should keep non-Ferals from using Feral weapons.
That's my theory anyway, no idea if it's accurate. Sounds good though. ;D
#StopPluginAbuse

rooki1

Language's' folder mistake fixed. Thank you for notice.

Shinzy

Quote from: Treason5240 on September 06, 2016, 12:13:38 AM
Found out what was causing the conflict.

I had "Spoons Hair Mod" active and for some weird reason, it was causing the bug.  As soon as I stopped using it, there was no longer a conflict.

Hey ho! could you post (or pm) your entire modlist
I really really really can't believe a hair mod would cause this issue :p it could be something else causing it that gets 'fixed' when you reload the game

deliveryservice

(Gasps!) Lovely new addition! I fucking love it!

Rafe009

Quote from: Deimos Rast on September 06, 2016, 02:37:09 AM
-snip-

I think, after a bit of copy pasting from Weapons_Mutant, I have restricted all ranged and all melee feral weapons to feral faction infantry.

Prior to all data for guns and blades the ogre had some sort of indexing entry that must proceed the weapons,  i just copy pasted the ogre entry and changed a few words to create a new Base tag "BaseFeralgun"  then you have to change the <weapons> tag from ogre to Feral. I believe this points to the faction in question.

Then you go to individual entries for a particular gun/bladed feral weapons and you'll see somethign like "BaseHumanMakableGun" or "BaseHumanMelee_sharp". I just changed it to to "BaseFeralWeapon or BaseFeralMelee." This, as you said, was basically inviting any pawn that isn't designated tribal to wield feral weapons be they projectile or melee. Note: This limits you from building the feral guns in your machining shop but for my purposes that's fine.

Deimos Rast

Quote from: Rafe009 on September 06, 2016, 03:40:02 PM
stuff and things
That sounds about right, did it work? If so, it might be something rooki1 could look into implementing, since it makes sense.
You can add back in the recipeMaker/recipeUser if you want to make them craftable again. In mine I made the feral guns craftable at the smithy and removed the ability for them to get art embellishment, for thematic reasons. That's probably a little op, and could probably be balanced a bit better, but meh.
#StopPluginAbuse

Rafe009

Quote from: Deimos Rast on September 06, 2016, 07:51:03 PM
-snip-

It seems to have worked and I've finally started playing A15 after long last with Feral, a heavily butchered HC, Rimfire, 2 hair mods and the PetStay mod - mostly for a bit of aesthetic variety though one could consider rimfire  a bit cheaty with the rocket systems that Verb_Shoot rather than Verb_ShootOneUse shoot.

I did notice the recipe tags but have not really delved into that. Consider the volume of guns that HC and rimfire give i'm happy making those craftable. Your crafting of feral weapons moved to the smith does make a bit of sense and unclutters the interface. I'de consider that a good ease of use improvement but i'm fine with just melting them down into steel rather than creating a post apocalyptic gun museum in my colony.

I just go hit by tribals though and everyone of them was wearing feral hoods!  :o. For the life of me i don't recall ever screwing around with apparel tags or how feral hoods behave at all but they seem totally out of place on tribals. Maybe it's just me and I cross referenced the wrong tag somewhere but could somebody tell me if Tribals are intended to wear Feral headgear/hoods?

Edit: no i spoke too soon, now pirates are wearing hoods too though there was a time, long long ago when they weren't.

Edit: i'm confounded at this point. I went back into development mode and spammed raids from tribals and pirates of different sizes. Not a single hood in my modified version or the original unblemished rimarsenal. Whatever is causing the hoods to manifest is impervious to the development mode's methods for spawning pawns so i can't seem to test unless i'm playing the game proper.

Edit: Had a moment of thinking about it last night and i realized the main difference between my actual game and my tests was that i was venturing into winter. Just loaded up a new game, set the season to Winter upon landing in the advanced tab on the world map, spawned in, executed a tribal raid with developmental mode... Hoods everywhere. Hoods are basically being employed as parkas for cold weather conditions.

ngcq1811

Ive always liked weaponry diversity, but how balanced is Rimsenal's weapons compared to other popular mods such as High Caliber?
I want to have both futuristic weapons and realistic ones in my game, but if one overpowers the other it would be concerning.

rooki1

v0.71 mini update.

- Feral faction name maker added.
- Misc balance tweaks

I'm still working to stop that "damn feral hoods everywhere" situation. Any suggestion?

Deimos Rast

@rooki1
Ah, so you see the hoods and weapons on pirates and such too? I've torn apart the Feral mod and best I can tell, everything is in order. My theory was it was an inheritance issue and the parent tags weren't getting overridden, so I locally removed those just in case. However, preliminary results are....not so good. I'm seeing slaves in caravans from the Medieval Times mod wearing Skulker hoods. Unless they were "captured" Ferals...but I doubt the game is that clever (no way to check in game).
Maybe 15c changed something. *shrug*
#StopPluginAbuse

Deimos Rast

Quote from: ngcq1811 on September 08, 2016, 02:25:31 AM
Ive always liked weaponry diversity, but how balanced is Rimsenal's weapons compared to other popular mods such as High Caliber?
I want to have both futuristic weapons and realistic ones in my game, but if one overpowers the other it would be concerning.
I've created customized versions of pretty much every weapon mod out there, and honestly, speaking of the Feral mod at least (haven't looked at the others yet), it falls in the middle of the pack. The feral weapons by and large are all 20th/21st century guns. Plus a dirty nuke. ;D
(but I had to specifically create a pawn that used the nuke, as none do by default).
The Federation one adds more futuristic mechanoid/bion units, but I didn't get a chance to look at the number on guns.
TLDR: Try the Feral pack, they have some cool toys and a couple of other surprises. By large, I would say feral guns stay close to stock.
#StopPluginAbuse

ngcq1811

Quote from: Deimos Rast on September 08, 2016, 10:06:18 AM
Quote from: ngcq1811 on September 08, 2016, 02:25:31 AM
I've created customized versions of pretty much every weapon mod out there, and honestly, speaking of the Feral mod at least (haven't looked at the others yet), it falls in the middle of the pack. The feral weapons by and large are all 20th/21st century guns. Plus a dirty nuke. ;D
(but I had to specifically create a pawn that used the nuke, as none do by default).
The Federation one adds more futuristic mechanoid/bion units, but I didn't get a chance to look at the number on guns.
TLDR: Try the Feral pack, they have some cool toys and a couple of other surprises. By large, I would say feral guns stay close to stock.

The feral weapons' astounding lack of accuracy puts me off, I must say. I'm still researching until I can try out the 5 Rimsenal weapon categories, but so far the High Caliber weapons have yielded greater accuracy and damage  than the Tactical and Feral weapons (tested through a few raids and target practice on Berserk prisoners, I ended up prioritizing sending my HC-wiedling colonists) as well as value, but Rimsenal weapons have a fairly small Work requirement and thus can be mass produced pretty efficiently. Maybe that's where the balance comes in?

Then again, it would be awesome if a weapon statistics standard were followed and weapon mods could be used uninamously.

Helpful Bot

I am a person who likes vanilla balance when it comes to weapons/armor in this game and this does a pretty damn good job of it. Nothing I've come across in this mod blows everything out of the water and I still find myself using vanilla guns a reasonably large amount of the time. One thing is use disproportionately is the assault hammer because nothing is more satisfying than getting that 1-hit smackdown even if it comes at such a heavy cooldown.

NekoEternal

Quote from: rooki1 on September 08, 2016, 08:29:20 AM
I'm still working to stop that "damn feral hoods everywhere" situation. Any suggestion?

Unsure if related to this issue but if you use prepare carefully you can see the game things Feral gas mask and both Feral hoods are worth 0 cost.

Now my thoughts is npc's are probably assembled with a budget target when they are spawned in, and those hoods being free probably makes it real easy for the algorythm to stuff them on just about everyone.

I edited the file to make them about in line with other cheap helmets for cost.

using dev commands to spam raids on me seemed to produce signifigantly less hoods this way.

kaptain_kavern

This make perfect sense to me.

Regarding this conversation/thread : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25793.0