[MOD](Alpha 9) Fix Solar and Geothermal (1.4)

Started by XyleneGaming, March 04, 2015, 01:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Lol, love that people use the extinguisher literally as a weapon. is it so OP i shoukd change it to say stun damage? Or is it fine as is?    /offtopic
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

UMK

Quote from: skullywag on March 11, 2015, 03:52:14 AM
Lol, love that people use the extinguisher literally as a weapon. is it so OP i shoukd change it to say stun damage? Or is it fine as is?    /offtopic
Never! It should damage structures because of rapid temperature change, and I used it on prisoners to train my medics before bothered to add medical training to operations. I remember SpaceStation13, where extinguisher was a weapon to be feared of and just a handy jetpack.

XyleneGaming

Quote from: UMK on March 11, 2015, 02:06:07 AM
Quote from: jabbamonkey on March 11, 2015, 01:18:58 AM
Small bug...

I noticed a bug ... so, now the characters can walk all over the device, which isn't a big deal for me. However, the device can't be selected anymore. When I click my mouse onto the geothermal generator ... nothing gets selected. I can select the steam vent (which is hidden underneath the geothermal graphic), but not the actual generator. What if I want to delete it? What if I want to see how much damage it has? Or how much power it produces?
It's possibly because he changed passability to Passable, not to PassThroughOnly. Also he forgot to set pathing cost.
Also, search for fire extinguisher on mod forum. It exists and works very fine and furthermore it is OP close-quarters SMG.
I don't see how PassThroughOnly would help as that doesn't sound standable, and I'll check the pathing costs the next time I get a chance. Some people might not like the sound of can OP weapon, as I know I don't, and this is a simple, non-intrusive fix that took me about half an hour. The fact that the device can't be selected is a huge problem that I'll check later on as well.

Edit: PassThroughOnly doesn't allow people to stand on the object so it defeats the purpose of this mod, and that doesn't let you select the object. The real reason that you couldn't select something probably has something to do with my Abstract ThingDef, which had nothing in it. I've replaced it with the standard abstract BuildingBase def, and hopefully it'll allow you to select things. That did not fix it ;'(. I did turn up the path cost though, so you shouldn't see people walking over it as often, unless it's literally the only path or if it's faster than any other path. The deconstruct still works and you can check the power of the solar generator through the yellow indicator, but apart from that I'm stumped on what to do.

XyleneGaming

I just found a bug of my own.

I have no idea. Something about how the collisions don't exist. Aside from that I have no clue. No idea what caused it, no idea how to fix it. You can't see it here but there's a ton of Z-fighting on the image because it's all on the same layer in the engine.

acook8103

The unable to select the generators thing was really nagging, so decided to run a diff on the Core and the Mod and besides the changes to make them walkable, there was this difference.

diff original.txt new.txt
1c1
< <ThingDef ParentName="BuildingBase">
---
> <ThingDef Name="BuildingBase">

After changing the mod to use ParentName, I was able to select the generators. I'm also unable to get them to build on top of each other. (Using God mode to test.)

Most likely, since they weren't being treated as Buildings, they were being allowed to occupy the same space.

Until a patched mod is up, just go in to Mods\Xylene-Antirage\Defs\ThingDefs\ and modify solar_geothermal_fix.xml to use ParentName on the SolarGenerator and GeothermalGenerator ThingDefs.

XyleneGaming

Quote from: acook8103 on March 25, 2015, 07:18:43 PM
The unable to select the generators thing was really nagging, so decided to run a diff on the Core and the Mod and besides the changes to make them walkable, there was this difference.

diff original.txt new.txt
1c1
< <ThingDef ParentName="BuildingBase">
---
> <ThingDef Name="BuildingBase">

After changing the mod to use ParentName, I was able to select the generators. I'm also unable to get them to build on top of each other. (Using God mode to test.)

Most likely, since they weren't being treated as Buildings, they were being allowed to occupy the same space.

Until a patched mod is up, just go in to Mods\Xylene-Antirage\Defs\ThingDefs\ and modify solar_geothermal_fix.xml to use ParentName on the SolarGenerator and GeothermalGenerator ThingDefs.

You know the feeling you get when you make a really stupid mistake? Yeah, that. Thanks for the reply as I had no idea at all what was causing it but the problem is so simple now.

InfiniteRemnant

Any ETA on an A10 version? or if not, any recommendations for a substitute?

Ykara

You can fix them (at least the solar panel, I haven't tested the geothermal) in vanilla, so this mod is kinda unnecessary now.

TimTumm

Seconding the request for an A10 version.  I just had a Thermal burn down, while my colonists watched!