Plans! Copy, paste, rotate and flip?

Started by Silvador, March 04, 2015, 02:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvador

As someone who has started numerous colonies, I've come to get a better understanding of what needs to be built and where, and I learn a little more each time. From how much space is needed for crops, to where a stockpile should be placed in relation to the buildings where I put my crafting tables. I've gotten to the point where, from the second my starter colonists pop out of their pods after touchdown, I spend anywhere from twenty minutes to two hours just assessing the terrain and planning the structure of my entire settlement. But it's not just square, square, square, rectangle. In order to properly plan, I also include various tetrominos to identify where in a building tables will be placed and how many, as well as lights and beds. This, of course, leads to some rather complex looking shapes, which in turn leads to... one very particular and tedious issue.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who is as thorough with their planning, and I'm sure they would agree that after designing a prison complex or dining hall, or maybe even just a simple freezer that includes an airlock, it can be... just a little bit annoying to realise the entire structure needs to be moved two blocks to the side, or might be better turned clockwise ninety degrees. With this level of planning, it becomes tiresome quite rapidly to have to either erase the entire structure and built it again, or meticulously move and erase almost every placed "planning mark" one or two blocks left.

So, I was hoping that in the future, a copy, paste, rotate and flip function could be added to the planning tools, so that one might be able to select a planned design and just shift it to the side as a whole, or turn it around as needed. For those of us who do this level of planning, it would be exceedingly beneficial. :D

Argon

Vagabond

Hello,

+1. Awesome idea. I thought I was wierd for spending copious amounts of time just planning when I started.

Cheers,
Michael

TrashMan

+1.

Saving plans and just drag-dropping them, rotating then, etc, would be a god-send.

Make a room. Open planing tool. Mark it. Save it as "RoomBig1". Then just stamp that blueprint everywhere and watch as your colonists run and build.