Animal husbandry

Started by CedricO, January 25, 2015, 05:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mithradates

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on February 17, 2015, 02:22:49 PM
People might be over-thinking the doors.  Ever been to a farm?  Giant gates that you can bring a lot of animals through.  nothing complex.  people can open it, animals cant because they dont know how to use them.  or if they do they are really taking their sweet time and we are all doomed.

NOT-COMPLETELY-OFF-TOPIC-DUE-TO-RIMWORLD-LORE:

I once (fairly recently) had a dream of a MIB-type-group running my college,and from them I learned that in the mid-90's, the animals of a nearby farm, being fully sentient, held a revolution a la Animal Farm except non-violent, and had walked into local stores with old video-game cartridges and expired giftcards seeking to barter for things with the shop keepers. The College had several such items, and the animals were still semi-autonomous.

Erm...

When are we getting these talking dogs?
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

tommytom

Hmm, maybe just start with a hunters aid. Wood+leather makes a fake deer, etc. It passively attracts that type to it. Somewhat like herding and helpful so hunters dont go all over the map.

Regret

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on February 17, 2015, 02:22:49 PM
People might be over-thinking the doors.  Ever been to a farm?  Giant gates that you can bring a lot of animals through.  nothing complex.  people can open it, animals cant because they dont know how to use them.  or if they do they are really taking their sweet time and we are all doomed.

how does this work in game?  as long as a gate or fence exists, then the 'captured' animal AI wont cross it.  animals arnt considered captured until they are inside.

as long as it is on soil they will eat the grass, maybe Tynan can fill us in on if the wild animals eat the grass already.  they produce manure that we can use to make 'rich soil' areas. or refine for some other purpose.  maybe we can feed them other crops to change what we can make from manure, like biological factories.  There would be a limit on how many can fit in an area and when they reproduce over that limit the oldest is selected for butchering.
I don't know if its the grass or something else, but keeping too many animals in too small an enclosure starves them.

lusername

Quote from: Vexare on February 16, 2015, 08:11:50 PMThe problem right now is the dead of winter, the muffalo or elk herd is at the far extreme end of the map and my colonists are inefficiently going back and forth to shoot them one at a time. There needs to be a better system that's believable.
Well, I suggest you hunt with hand grenades, then.