Mod request: Jerky and sun dried potatoes.

Started by Blazergong, February 28, 2015, 02:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazergong

HEt everybody. I was thinking about the following feature for the game. If food is left alone in high temperatures it becomes dried. This way it will be unspoilable.
I tried to look at the code to try and find something about the rotting process wehre the food qualitis change ,ut unfortunatelly im no good at code. If anybody feels something for the idea and want to work with it, be my quest. Would be awesome if this would be implemented.

akiceabear

I won't be able to do this myself, but a few ideas on conditions:
* A "Drying table" must be outside and receiving sunlight.
* Drying a piece of meat/veg takes less work than preparing a meal but also is less nutritious/buffing.
* Dried food must be kept dry, or else it is ruined instantly. (This only matters if water mechanics somehow enter the game.)
* For the ambitious - add a new mineral called salt, required for the drying process. Maybe a bit of steel too, for the tin.

KnucklyDuck

I'm actually making a Preserved Foods mod at the moment, all the code is done for V1 just waiting on some art assets.

It includes a Smoker which smokes 9 raw meat (type doesnt matter) using one wood to create smoked meat, a non-perishable food. Does not require power. It also has a Canning Machine which cans 9 raw foods with 1 steel to make Canned Food, also non-perishable. The Canning Machine uses power. Both give the same amount of sustenance as a fine meal at the moment. I will worry about balancing later such as the sustenance, amount that goes into the food, and that sort of stuff. I plan on adding more tables and such to the mod as well as different sorts of canned foods which use different foods which may effect the colonists differently.

I may go about adding a drying table and salt to the mod to be honest, it's a good idea but quite ambitious if I may say so myself. Would that be alright?
Why do Java programmers have glasses?
Because they can't C#.

Blazergong

Quote from: KnucklyDuck on February 28, 2015, 07:31:23 PM
I'm actually making a Preserved Foods mod at the moment, all the code is done for V1 just waiting on some art assets.

It includes a Smoker which smokes 9 raw meat (type doesnt matter) using one wood to create smoked meat, a non-perishable food. Does not require power. It also has a Canning Machine which cans 9 raw foods with 1 steel to make Canned Food, also non-perishable. The Canning Machine uses power. Both give the same amount of sustenance as a fine meal at the moment. I will worry about balancing later such as the sustenance, amount that goes into the food, and that sort of stuff. I plan on adding more tables and such to the mod as well as different sorts of canned foods which use different foods which may effect the colonists differently.

I may go about adding a drying table and salt to the mod to be honest, it's a good idea but quite ambitious if I may say so myself. Would that be alright?
+1
I wannit

Blazergong

maybe a marinating table would be a nice asset. Take slonger to prepare but higher quality

KnucklyDuck

I was considering something similar (salting table) however I don't think that'd be all that good as it'd just make it more difficult, not worth the benefits it may give.
Why do Java programmers have glasses?
Because they can't C#.