Issue with Hydroponics?

Started by Mathenaut, March 05, 2015, 01:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boboid

Quote from: lusername on March 07, 2015, 06:18:23 AM
Since solar flares happen constantly, this "Everything Instantly Dies" effect basically renders hydroponics useless because no crop will ever reach completion in hydroponics.

To be clear Devilstrand is the only crop that will -virtually- never reach completion in hydroponics. Everything else grows just fine.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

b0rsuk

Did you know Mufallos eat Devilstrand ? Beware!

Mathenaut

Unfortunately, I can't get at my old save.

Though, the setup was just the usual 14 hydro bins around a sun lamp, encased in slate walls with a pair of heaters keeping the temp at 35 degrees.

What was happening is that I was losing singular plants periodically for a reason I couldn't determine. Not the entire bin, just a few here and there every so often.

The only reason I noticed was because the Devilstrand stood out vs the others.

Edit: For what it's worth, I haven't been able to repeat this in my following colony. So.. I guess it's a bit moot.

Boboid

Quote from: Mathenaut on March 08, 2015, 07:52:35 PM
-snip-
Though, the setup was just the usual 14 hydro bins around a sun lamp, encased in slate walls with a pair of heaters keeping the temp at 35 degrees.
-snip-

You can fit 16 or 24 hydroponics around a sunlamp, 16 is the max with walking space, 24 will force your colonists to crawl over the benches. I can post a pic if you need the patterns.

That's a tad hot by the way, unless you're worried about temperature drop due to power outages.

Rimworld plants are pretty robust and are either growing or freezing to death so feel free to turn down the temp a tad.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

Mathenaut

It was damn cold out during the winter and I didn't want to take chances.

My current setup has two connected greenhouses (enclosed) adjacent to my freezer. The heat output keeps both rooms warm enough. I went with greenhouses instead because I'm nowhere near any geovents and I'm not a fan of camping at the edges of the map.

http://imgur.com/JSgdGqq

Boboid

Fair enough. Interesting use of the exhaust vent. I like it.

Remember to check any nearby hills/mountains for geo vents hidden in them.

Threw together the patterns for hydroponics just in case you need them for future reference. I was stuck on 14 per sun lamp for ages until I spent some time actually doing some graphing :P https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f7whjs82mq5gox/screenshot18.png?dl=0

lusername

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 08, 2015, 07:27:41 PM
Did you know Mufallos eat Devilstrand ? Beware!
I'm not entirely clear how a muffalo would make it past my killbox to eat my devilstrand, though. Those things are rather conspicuous-looking, it's not like they could sneak past while the doors were open, I shoot and eat every muffalo on sight.

Mathenaut

Hmm. I've been playing in tundra recently so I need the temp control. I'd wonder about efficiency/mobility with the more compact setups, but I noticed that you have alot of colonists. Heh.

Was never into the really long term myself.

Boboid

That structure can be built indoors, that's why I bothered to add the wooden walls, they're sufficiently close to one another to support a roof :) - I threw that together in Dev mode in a pre-existing colony for simplicities sake. You can easily control the temp of these.

I don't think it'll be more efficient in terms of colonist time to use the 24 setup until the walk distance to the next hydroponic basin blob gets totally out of hand - I'd personally stick to the 16.

And that's not a lot of colonists :P That's year 2 - I was just being picky in that game.

amul

Quote from: Boboid on March 08, 2015, 09:21:47 PM
Fair enough. Interesting use of the exhaust vent. I like it.

Remember to check any nearby hills/mountains for geo vents hidden in them.

Threw together the patterns for hydroponics just in case you need them for future reference. I was stuck on 14 per sun lamp for ages until I spent some time actually doing some graphing :P https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f7whjs82mq5gox/screenshot18.png?dl=0

It seems this file was taken down. :(

jptplays

Quote from: Mathenaut on March 08, 2015, 09:11:09 PM
It was damn cold out during the winter and I didn't want to take chances.

My current setup has two connected greenhouses (enclosed) adjacent to my freezer. The heat output keeps both rooms warm enough. I went with greenhouses instead because I'm nowhere near any geovents and I'm not a fan of camping at the edges of the map.

http://imgur.com/JSgdGqq
I've been looking for a use for all of my A/C units heat exhaust vents. Good call!