Alpha 9 - colony efficiency

Started by Xav, March 05, 2015, 10:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xav

This is my first successful colony on Alpha 9e.  It was located way up North in the cold areas, growing period was June/July I think, on Ricky Random - Challenge.  It had a thriving economy and all colonists made it off the world in the new ship  8)

I'd like to know if any of you see any ways I can improve the layout of the base.  My next base will be an outside base.  The only mod I used was the EdB I/F...otherwise, vanilla.

Cheers!

[attachment deleted due to age]

Evelyn

I read the thread title as "Colon efficiency" and my first thought was "Oh dear god..."

Xav

...hm....would that title make for a particularly interesting thread in your case?

Boboid

An easy efficiency increase is to your hydroponic layout.

You can fit 16 or 24 hydroponics per sun lamp with the following layouts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f7whjs82mq5gox/screenshot18.png?dl=0

I haven't personally tested the 24 layout extensively, I suspect it's very inefficient because colonists will spend an exceptionally long period of time crawling around over them at very low speed, but it's possible at any rate.

A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Boboid

A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

CodyRex123

... What the heck did i just watch?
Dragons!

daft73

Quote from: CodyRex123 on March 06, 2015, 08:57:45 PM
... What the heck did i just watch?
Weird al, he has done these parodies for as long as I can remember.
About the op, nice set-up, though you have a really dark sleeping area, no lights in the hallways.

milon

I think the In The Dark debuff wears off right away, just like Cramped Environment, so that shouldn't matter.

daft73

Quote from: milon on March 08, 2015, 09:52:07 AM
I think the In The Dark debuff wears off right away, just like Cramped Environment, so that shouldn't matter.
Sure, I suppose it's an aesthetics thing, but if someone is on edge already it may be what tips them over the top. I have had plenty of colonies when a bad start can crumble into dust because of 5 small issues becoming 1 big problem. I tend to babysit my colonists, and try to nip it in the bud, as they say. ::) ;)

Xav

A great deal of my electricity tends to be used for HVAC, turrets, and sunlamps/hydroponics tables.  Lights, in my opinion, require an imbalanced amount (too much) of power to function for them to be placed in every bedroom; everywhere...especially since that also will not feed or cloth my colonists.  So, I focus on putting the lights in the common and work areas so they can have the greatest impact for the power they use.  This colony required 3 geothermals' to not draw from battery power; the 'juice' gets used up quick!

Thank you for the feedback, guys!  Cheers!