Possible alternate game mode

Started by Endoric, March 06, 2015, 03:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endoric

I understand the story of and setting that rimworld takes place in.  I also understand the end state of the game is the escape from their status as cast aways in a world the survivors don't want to be on.

However i see great potential for a game mode where the setting is the same but the situation and end game are different.

What if the accidental castaways are intentional colonists?

The goal would be to create a sustainable colony for a scheduled influx of colonists.  The tasks would be to increase the sustainability in the form of infrastructure, habitability, quality of life and food production.  The dangers of pirate raids and angry natives could be replaced with a very harsh environment, meteor strikes and limited life sustaining resources.

Perhaps a requirement to send valuable resources back into space instead of build a space ship and leave the world.  Just a thought, as i love the game but have no desire to let my colonists escape, ever, for any reason.

CodyRex123

Sooo, sorta Dwarf corpish Dwarf Fortress more...?
Sounds just about right, nice, but i still think that there should be raiders of some discription, but there shouldn't be anyone living on the planet.
Dragons!

daft73

This is a topic most usefull in the mods section. Some mods have touched on some of the concepts here..
some meteors
harsh worlds

;)

lusername

Quote from: Endoric on March 06, 2015, 03:07:51 PM
I understand the story of and setting that rimworld takes place in.  I also understand the end state of the game is the escape from their status as cast aways in a world the survivors don't want to be on.
It's unclear why they want to escape or where they're escaping to, though. I had this argument on the IRC about this subject, saying that this planet HAD to be their original destination in the first place, because, quite frankly, there's no realistically feasible way for a non-magical starship to arrive anywhere but its destination, or origin. Any catastrophic error that could force the crew to abandon ship would occur either at launch, or at landing: Any other situation results in being lost in space forever, as an escape vehicle carrying sufficient delta-V to safely stop and deliver the occupants anywhere else while in-flight is a starship in its own right. If you eject from your ship in deep space while flying at a statistically significant proportion of the speed of light, you're just going to fly forever until you smash into something and die, there's no way to stop. The only places you could survive ejecting from are at departure or arrival.

This is further borne out by the fact that, at the end scene, the starship is not given any actual kind of destination. The AI is left to wander around in space and hide under an asteroid for a thousand years. There is no promised land that it is set to go to. The ending seems a bit placeholder, but that is expected from an unfinished game.

Quote from: Endoric on March 06, 2015, 03:07:51 PMPerhaps a requirement to send valuable resources back into space instead of build a space ship and leave the world.  Just a thought, as i love the game but have no desire to let my colonists escape, ever, for any reason.
That'll probably change when you get tired of the map for some reason, yet want the story to end without simply abandoning your dudes to the ether.

Kegereneku

It is regularly talked about that Rimworld could have multiple "ending", including endless game where players are free to send more spaceship.
Anybody is free to suggest anything, including colonizing the whole planet but remember than Tynan can only make his game go so far...

I think its time I make a suggestion thread for anybody to suggest ending.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Vexare

I sometimes wonder why Tynan chose to call them "colonists" at all instead of survivors or castaways as you called them.  The term colonist suggests intentional settler and someone traveling to a destination with the intent of building and surviving in a previously uninhabited or newly discovered environment for a lifetime. Roleplay/story-wise I've gleaned that the idea was probably to get to the Mid-worlds and not get blown to bits and landing helpless on a RimWorld somewhere so it changes them to an involuntary colonist of sorts.

But that doesn't mean every person who lands on your world whether voluntarily or involuntarily has to leave. does it? After struggling for months or years, wouldn't quite a few of them be quite happy to stay and make it into a proper Outlander civilization? Why is the only option a campaign (which can be quite short if you're good at it) lasting only months in which you research, build and blast off in a ship? I'm hoping it's because that's just a starting-point Tynan chose to develop -  a "launching platform" if you will for the idea of the game and not the final outcome of it.

This game is *so* well built it begs for more is what I think is happening. I've tried some other colony/city/sim builders close to this style that are in similar development phases (Gnomoria, Timber & Stone and Stonehearth most recently) and while each has a certain appeal to it - they don't itch the same scratch that RimWorld does. They're also all medieval/fantasy based settings and I appreciate RimWorld's sci-fi Firefly take on it as a great change of pace. It's not quite 'space colony builder' (a' la Maia or Sol 0 type games) but is futuristic enough I can happily have technology instead of torches and blacksmiths to no end. Those games are fun too but I'm so refreshed by RimWorld's genre and flavor.

But more than the genre / story of RimWorld is how intuitively easy it is to pick up and play. You don't really have to watch tons of Lets Plays or read lengthy tutorials to 'get it' and jump in and play. Maybe to many gamers it's over-simplified and I realize there's a whole world of gamers out there in the Dwarf Fortress category who prefer an insanely complicated interface and game and love the challenge of figuring it out over a long period of time. Does RimWorld want to be the kind of game that is enjoyed for a handful of hours and then put away with fond memories, or does it aspire to be a more complicated long-term game that is enjoyed for years at a time where colonies and entire planets are developed over generations and create detailed histories like Dwarf Fortress? I personally think it has the potential to go that route.

But to create a rich story world full of deep character development and story building (which is what Tynan has said the game is about), we have to decide to change the way the game is played and think outside the kill-box. :)

Endoric

While its probably a factor of being in development i find the worst part the endless attacks that are the same just bigger than last.

Vexare

Quote from: Endoric on March 07, 2015, 02:41:29 PM
While its probably a factor of being in development i find the worst part the endless attacks that are the same just bigger than last.

Yes, I keep telling myself the ever-increasingly ridiculous waves of attackers who keep throwing themselves at defenses I am forced to make ever more sophisticated and over-complicated to thin them out and destroy them is only a placeholder. At least, I hope that's what they are. It's jarringly contradictory to the wonderful story-telling and attachment you develop for your little weeble people. :)

Endoric

I would like the ability to lead attacks against the pirate outposts or tribal villages.  Or the inclusion of meeting demands with the consequences of failure being a pirate raid.  I am sure there can be a way to generate npc towns on a small map and you can be the attacker.

Vagabond

However i see great potential for a game mode where the setting is the same but the situation and end game are different.

The goal would be to create a sustainable colony for a scheduled influx of colonists.  The tasks would be to increase the sustainability in the form of infrastructure, habitability, quality of life and food production.  The dangers of pirate raids and angry natives could be replaced with a very harsh environment, meteor strikes and limited life sustaining resources.

Perhaps a requirement to send valuable resources back into space instead of build a space ship and leave the world.  Just a thought, as i love the game but have no desire to let my colonists escape, ever, for any reason.

I have similar desires. However, I rather enjoy having enemy factions and the possibility for complex diplomacy. I just believe there need to be checks and balances in regards to faction and npc simulation (I.e Population) to promote realistic colony growth and development (I.e no killboxes). Killboxes, as they are called, would be more suitable to a zombie mode where the enemies have no intelligence and are practically unlimited.

Quote from: lusername on March 07, 2015, 05:45:01 AM
It's unclear why they want to escape or where they're escaping to, though. I had this argument on the IRC about this subject, saying that this planet HAD to be their original destination in the first place, because, quite frankly, there's no realistically feasible way for a non-magical starship to arrive anywhere but its destination, or origin. Any catastrophic error that could force the crew to abandon ship would occur either at launch, or at landing: Any other situation results in being lost in space forever, as an escape vehicle carrying sufficient delta-V to safely stop and deliver the occupants anywhere else while in-flight is a starship in its own right. If you eject from your ship in deep space while flying at a statistically significant proportion of the speed of light, you're just going to fly forever until you smash into something and die, there's no way to stop. The only places you could survive ejecting from are at departure or arrival.

This is further borne out by the fact that, at the end scene, the starship is not given any actual kind of destination. The AI is left to wander around in space and hide under an asteroid for a thousand years. There is no promised land that it is set to go to. The ending seems a bit placeholder, but that is expected from an unfinished game.

What an excellent point. I agree completely.

Quote from: Endoric on March 07, 2015, 03:12:00 PM
I would like the ability to lead attacks against the pirate outposts or tribal villages.  Or the inclusion of meeting demands with the consequences of failure being a pirate raid.  I am sure there can be a way to generate npc towns on a small map and you can be the attacker.

I agree. It goes hand in hand with my ideas on complex diplomacy, off map missions, vehicles, ect.

Cheers.
Michael

lusername

Quote from: Vagabond on March 07, 2015, 04:49:55 PM
I have similar desires. However, I rather enjoy having enemy factions and the possibility for complex diplomacy. I just believe there need to be checks and balances in regards to faction and npc simulation (I.e Population) to promote realistic colony growth and development (I.e no killboxes). Killboxes, as they are called, would be more suitable to a zombie mode where the enemies have no intelligence and are practically unlimited.
That is basically the present situation. You're up against an unlimited horde of enemies, and have basically no tolerance for losses, as any colonist lost cannot be replaced, so the situation will just snowball. On top of that, energy economy essentially makes it impossible to create a 360-degree defense, as there is simply not enough power to do this in the base game, which is what you would need if enemies would simply crazily drill through rocks in a straight line to reach you like in other games. Then again, drilling through rocks and walls doesn't necessarily seem to be the most effective means of attack. One enemy tried this, and was not able to damage the wall faster than it could be repaired from the inside. Plus, the notion of guys chopping down a wall or mountain with swords is stupid.

Cracker21

Quote from: lusername on March 07, 2015, 05:45:01 AM
Quote from: Endoric on March 06, 2015, 03:07:51 PMbuild a space ship and leave the world.  Just a thought, as i love the game but have no desire to let my colonists escape, ever, for any reason.
That'll probably change when you get tired of the map for some reason, yet want the story to end without simply abandoning your dudes to the ether.

I think that it would be a fun and more lengthy challenge if you could migrate or expand your colony. Like you said I have no interest in leaving. I'd like the option to move to another location with either all or a portion of my colonist to an adjacent "block" of the world with an amount of my "supplies" brought with them. (Say for each colonist you are moving you could bring "x" amount of resources that they "carry" with them). Then you could interact with your colonies through the coms console. Say transfer resources or colonists and depending on how far away and the terrain between colonies it would take longer or shorter amounts of time for them to arrive. Just a though but I love this game and am enjoying seeing it grow. I have high expectations for to world. I hope more people see it's potential.   

lusername

High expectations are the path to madness and psychosis. I have very low expectations.