Tamable Animals

Started by RedRanger, March 06, 2015, 07:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRanger

Hello everyone, today i come to you rimworld fans to suggest a awesome idea to be added to the game and that idea is tamable animals. so as you know if you help save someone from dying they have a chance to join your colony, thats what i want to happen with animals maybe if they attack you and you knock them out or something on those lines you could take care of that animal and it randomly picks if that animal joins your colony or leaves

Just thought this would be a good idea for the game and a lot of people would love to have this implemented

Thanks for reading.     RedRanger out

CodyRex123

:l This has been talked about quite a lot, while i like the idea, i don't think its gonna appear any time soon right now.
Dragons!

Keychan

This has been a popular topic and there is a mod for Alpha 8 for husbandry at the moment.  First, you have to have a reason why you'd want to 'tame' an animal.  For livestock and farming?  Wouldn't fit the whole, we just saved you scenario and they randomly join the colony, cause then their babies are lunch and a new shirt.  Second, how would you feed the animals?  You can't grow grass in the vanilla game and most biomes can't support grass all year, so you're left with animals starving or eating your food supply.  Thirdly, aside from farming for meat and leather, how would having them benefit you?  It would be fun to have a pet turtle, but there's no real reason to tame them.  Farming efficiently would only work in certain biomes under certain conditions.  If you could use them for transportation, it would be fun.  Muffalo rider raids would be entertaining.  Animal taming just doesn't fit the game right now.

CodyRex123

I would think of a mood buff and hunting animal as the other topics had posted about.
Dragons!

Mikhail Reign

There are some easy reason for animals:

Colonists can ride them - when shot at 50/50 chance of hitting rider or mount - also animal does melee damage
Haul supply's - animals of X size can carry more then one stack - haulers could retrieve animals from a pen when hauling target included X other stacks nearby. Or a buildable sled that has a stockpile in it that animals can be drafted and harnessed to.
Breeding - make breeding rate based around optimal temp and food intake and add wheat as a grow able item - capturing and feeding/housing animals increases birthrate and meat.
Make carnivorous animals that attack/eat all pawns when hungry - makes a defence of starved space tigers.

Argon

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on March 07, 2015, 03:05:39 PM
There are some easy reason for animals:

Colonists can ride them - when shot at 50/50 chance of hitting rider or mount - also animal does melee damage
Haul supply's - animals of X size can carry more then one stack - haulers could retrieve animals from a pen when hauling target included X other stacks nearby. Or a buildable sled that has a stockpile in it that animals can be drafted and harnessed to.
Breeding - make breeding rate based around optimal temp and food intake and add wheat as a grow able item - capturing and feeding/housing animals increases birthrate and meat.
Make carnivorous animals that attack/eat all pawns when hungry - makes a defence of starved space tigers.

This could make raids more interesting, we could now have cavalry charges and lances.

-Argon