[MOD] (Alpha 9) Better Than Sentry Guns (v1.0 - Mar 6th)

Started by FlowerChild, March 06, 2015, 10:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boboid

A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

FlowerChild

Quote from: Boboid on March 07, 2015, 04:28:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5mqQBgobTY

It's going to be a bit embarrassing for you if this works :P

Not at all man.  If you can pull it off, then more power to you.  I was genuine in my wishes of good fortune :)

redcat

FlowerChild, can I make compatibility mods for this?. That is if I can get permissions from other mod authors to modify their work to fit with this one.  Sorry if this is the wrong way of asking. If so instruct me on how to ask about this.

skullywag

welcome FC, long time BTW player here, always loved your take on games, look forward to seeing where you take this.

btw reading your thread I have actually got a mod that removes the original "free gun" turret and uses the stuff system to turn guns into stuff so they can be used as building materials on a turret all from 1 button, its in my OmniCorp thread. It also uses the researchMod class to effect the turret with research even after its built on the map. Might be worth a look and seeing if theres anything useful to you in there.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

FlowerChild

Quote from: redcat on March 07, 2015, 04:44:42 AM
FlowerChild, can I make compatibility mods for this?. That is if I can get permissions from other mod authors to modify their work to fit with this one.  Sorry if this is the wrong way of asking. If so instruct me on how to ask about this.

I've got no issue at all with that man.  I actually appreciate the initiative of wanting to do it yourself rather than asking me to ;)

Quote from: skullywag on March 07, 2015, 04:50:31 AM
btw reading your thread I have actually got a mod that removes the original "free gun" turret and uses the stuff system to turn guns into stuff so they can be used as building materials on a turret all from 1 button, its in my OmniCorp thread. It also uses the researchMod class to effect the turret with research even after its built on the map. Might be worth a look and seeing if theres anything useful to you in there.

Will take a look to be sure.  It's beginning to get a tad late for me, so it's probably beyond my current processing capacity, but will make sure to do so tomorrow :)

Sir_W_Scott

Quote from: FlowerChild on March 07, 2015, 05:15:52 AM
Quote from: redcat on March 07, 2015, 04:44:42 AM

I've got no issue at all with that man.  I actually appreciate the initiative of wanting to do it yourself rather than asking me to ;)

:O FC are you ok? xP did I really just hear you say you are fine with some one making... *gulp* "compatibility" with this mod x_x ;3 oooh this should be fun :3
"Recruitment failed 1% chance"
Prisoner recruitment. What it feels like:
http://sketchtoy.com/66370283

The human meals doesn't help.
« By A Friend »

FlowerChild

Quote from: Sir_W_Scott on March 07, 2015, 06:14:54 AM
:O FC are you ok? xP did I really just hear you say you are fine with some one making... *gulp* "compatibility" with this mod x_x ;3 oooh this should be fun :3

I think you may have me confused with the mythology I find myself associated with ;)

There's a lot of history associated with the things you are probably referring to there, years of it in fact, and very little reason for it to be an issue here.

Boboid

Hrm.. Crop Blights destroy viable seeds permanently, 85 days in and I just had 14 viable seeds destroyed which was pretty much 70% of my colony's total wealth.

Didn't expect that!
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

ItchyFlea

Welcome FC. Also a long time BTW player. Looking forward to giving your RW mod a playthrough or 3. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

FlowerChild

Quote from: ItchyFlea on March 07, 2015, 07:29:00 AM
Welcome FC. Also a long time BTW player. Looking forward to giving your RW mod a playthrough or 3. :)

Hey Itchy!  Good to see a familiar face here :)

I was actually very tempted to mention I was working on this mod when you posted to the BTW thread yesterday, as I had seen you here before while lurking these forums, but decided it was best to leave it as a bit of a surprise.

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Quote from: Boboid on March 07, 2015, 07:12:59 AM
Hrm.. Crop Blights destroy viable seeds permanently, 85 days in and I just had 14 viable seeds destroyed which was pretty much 70% of my colony's total wealth.

Didn't expect that!

Hehe...yup.  Keeping some seeds in reserve in case of disaster is a rather important strategy.

Having said that, some tweaking to the way blight works in relation to the mod features may be in order regardless, and that's something I'll be looking at more closely in the future.

Boboid

Tbh seems like the most limiting factor of the entire revamp - Crop Blights are nasty, frequent, and blanket-fire every growing zone. You can't sensibly deal with the problem apart from throwing more silver at it, but there's some exponential growth problems and then you run into trader stock limits as you can't create seeds independently.

Apart from a bit of early cannibalism you can get to a reasonably familiar, vanilla-esque stable colony in less than 100 days even on 130%, but your food supply long term is entirely in the hands of the RNG god.

You can hunt up to a point but.. eh..

Of course saying all of that I could trivially switch back to ranged weaponry, anger all the tribes that I just befriended, and cannibalize my way back into space. Might not be quite what you intended however :P

hawk.

Quote from: FlowerChild on March 07, 2015, 09:21:21 AM
Having said that, some tweaking to the way blight works in relation to the mod features may be in order regardless, and that's something I'll be looking at more closely in the future.

Growing zones respecting room boundaries with respect to blight is a possible solution. Probably not easy to implement and it would lessen the importance of reserve seeds but it is reasonably intuitive. I suspect there's a better "bang for your buck" solution you'll come up with. There's a reason I'm the guy who plays the games, not makes them. ;)

Quote from: Boboid on March 07, 2015, 09:32:38 AM
Might not be quite what you intended however :P

Don't be so sure, playing a morally ambivalent protagonist might be the core theme of Better Than Wolves. ;)

Matausis

Wow, I cant believe that you have played all the games that i did :D i actually had all of your mods for all the games that you ma
de them from :D.

FlowerChild

Quote from: hawk. on March 07, 2015, 10:35:37 AM
Growing zones respecting room boundaries with respect to blight is a possible solution. Probably not easy to implement and it would lessen the importance of reserve seeds but it is reasonably intuitive. I suspect there's a better "bang for your buck" solution you'll come up with. There's a reason I'm the guy who plays the games, not makes them. ;)

I think I'll likely opt for something a little more elaborate.  Don't forget how much I've enjoyed modeling various forms of pestilence with some of my mod features in the past, up to and including another form of "blight" ;)

I think there's some potentially very cool gameplay that I can associate with dealing with this kind of thing.

Quote from: Boboid on March 07, 2015, 09:32:38 AM
Of course saying all of that I could trivially switch back to ranged weaponry, anger all the tribes that I just befriended, and cannibalize my way back into space. Might not be quite what you intended however :P

Well, what I intended was to try and provide a more interesting gameplay experience, so if you've had a good time with your colony, then I'm happy.

Please keep in mind, I'm not trying to "beat" people here.  Would be easy enough to do that with a single line of code, but it likely wouldn't be very much fun to play :)