[MOD] (Alpha 9) Better Than Sentry Guns (v1.0 - Mar 6th)

Started by FlowerChild, March 06, 2015, 10:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenWL

Quote from: coht on March 20, 2015, 09:10:04 AM

"Revised farming dependent upon seeds to plant crops. Seeds come in two varieties: terminator (single generation), and fully viable, and each crop type (potatoes, corn, cotton, etc.) has its own set of seeds, available from various traders."

I do hope they're called "seed potatoes" and not "potato seeds", just a little thing I see modders who adds potatoes in a farming enviroment, there are no thing such as a "potato seed" but there are Seed Potatoes which are selected potatoes with a bigger ammount of the small "knobbs" that you may see when peeling a potato, the potato is cut and put in the ground to grow to a mother potato or a "seed potato" :3
Actually, there are such things as potato seeds.
However, people rarely, if ever, use potato seeds, preferring to use seed potatoes because seed potatoes grow faster then potato seeds, are easier to plant, and give a high yield of even-sized potatoes. However, potatoes do have seeds.
And it makes sense that in the future, genetically 'modified' potatoes would be grown by seeds. Seeds are easier to store and don't rot, unlike seed potatoes. If genetic shenanigans can let the potato seed grow just as well as a seed potato, using the potato seed would be a better option-especially if going on a centuries-long interstellar travel to sell them.

On a side note, yet another colonist has gone off the deep end and is scheduled for the chopping block- as soon as he starves to death or dies of hypothermia, whatever comes first.

Edit: I find that seeds are very worth it, and always try to buy a shipment of seeds rather than crops. Also, viable seeds are very much worth it as well. For example, viable rice in hydroponics are a great source of food, and while it might not be much, with a nutrient past dispenser, it could keep your colonists very much alive.
Also, viable crops seem to sometimes give extra seeds. I now have 20-ish viable hop seeds and 15-ish viable rice seeds, and I started with 8 of both :D
While blight and solar flares might be troublesome, planting the crops in small amounts(say, only half your seeds) is a very good method to keep on farming. Now my colony doesn't starve as much.

On that note, could it be possible to add a sort of ability to 'coat' a electrical device with something like plasteel or uranium or something to keep it from shorting out during solar flares? It's quite annoying to lose crops to a event I can do nothing against.

On another note, my colonists seem to love beer. I got a shipment of beer crashing on the planet, and seeing it did wonders in keeping people sane, got my hands on some viable hop seeds so my colonists can be happy. They drink beer like their lives depend on it, and at least one person goes on a beer-drinking spree(forget what it's called) every month. I had to stop the production of beer because it was getting out of hand.

On (a different)another note, the mood of colonists, which had been steadily going down, has now stopped going down. Sorta.

On yet another note, I made some mortars, and since they are manned, they make a nice addition to our defenses. So I was thinking, would you consider adding some manned turrets?

AllenWL

Viable seeds are sold by 'black market traders' a.k.a slave traders. Other traders will only sell 'legal' terminator seeds. Hunting should be your main food source, coupled with a nutrient past dispenser for the colder months.

I like how it is now. The starting potato seeds can be used to supplement your diet in a pinch until you get set up. After that, you can buy terminator seeds or viable seeds, both with pros and cons. Viable seeds are a renewable source of food, and should be hard to get. It's a lot better then the 'make warm growing zone, never go hungry ever again' of vanilla.

As long as you plan carefully with your seeds, you should be able to get a decent(and by that, I mean you won't starve to death. Probably.) viable farm once you get enough money to buy a few seeds.

FlowerChild

Quote from: AllenWL on March 21, 2015, 02:43:59 AM
Also, viable crops seem to sometimes give extra seeds. I now have 20-ish viable hop seeds and 15-ish viable rice seeds, and I started with 8 of both :D

Hehe...yup, that's by intent.  Right now all the different crop types drop extras for expanding your farms at the same rate, but I set things up there so that they can all be tweaked individually to further differentiate the crop types from a gameplay perspective.

Quote from: Canute on March 22, 2015, 05:10:54 AM
About the Seeds:
Basicly it is a good idea, but the current methode isn't working very well.

It's really intended to be difficult to build up.  As Allen mentioned, fully viable seeds are only available from black market (slave) traders, and they're very expensive, working on the principle that they're illegal goods that you have to pay a premium for.

Until you can acquire them, you have to rely on other food sources, whether that be hunting or trading directly for food or terminator seeds. 

Really, that's the point of the seed system: to provide a tiered progression to food production that the player can work towards progressing within, rather than providing an easy source of infinite food right from the get go, so I'd say it's working pretty well in that regard ;)

I will agree however that blight is currently excessive under this system.  We were talking about that a bit earlier in the thread.

skullywag

hmm could you overwrite the blight event and make it just kill the growth not the plant, thats the equivalent of the vanilla event as it has infinite seeds.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

MrSurvivor

It's not working for me and I installed it from normal fresh vanilla into the mods folder, everything including the readme yet it still doesnt work because it still says that I can build heaters and coolers and turrets and batteries at the beginning

FlowerChild

Quote from: MrSurvivor on March 22, 2015, 06:01:17 PM
It's not working for me and I installed it from normal fresh vanilla into the mods folder, everything including the readme yet it still doesnt work because it still says that I can build heaters and coolers and turrets and batteries at the beginning

Did you activate it via the mods menu as per the install instructions?

AllenWL

Quote from: FlowerChild on March 22, 2015, 03:21:42 PM
Quote from: AllenWL on March 21, 2015, 02:43:59 AM

Hehe...yup, that's by intent.  Right now all the different crop types drop extras for expanding your farms at the same rate, but I set things up there so that they can all be tweaked individually to further differentiate the crop types from a gameplay perspective.

Looks like a good method so far is planting half your seeds, then keeping the other half in reserve. Also, hydroponics. Hydroponics are good. Quicker harvests mean faster buildup of seeds, and a lower chance to lose crops to blight. Solar flares suck too, but it's worth it in my opinion.

But some crops that take a longer time to grow, such as xerigium or devilstrand are annoying as they end up more vulnerable to crop blights and solar flares, making them a lot harder to grow. I think won't buy seeds for those(well, maybe xerigum seeds, but not devilstrand) until crop blight/solar flares can be prepared for and averted/damage minimized.

On another note, I think better crop blights are planned for laters

akiceabear

Is it possible for a blight to kill a plant but leave a (fraction of a) seed?

AllenWL

FlowerChild

Quote from: AllenWL on April 18, 2015, 06:56:36 AM
Will this be updated to A10?

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to let this one go. 

I realized recently that I'm trying to juggle way too many projects simultaneously, and as the newest one, this is the mod I am most inclined to give the axe to :)

I'll open up everything in the mod to the public domain, so that anyone else will be free to do as they please with the source, and keep the thing going if they're so inclined.  Will put a little notice about that in the OP.

AllenWL

Huh, pity. I really loved the 'need seeds to farm' thing.
Hey, if I try to rip out all non-seed related thing, and just keep the seed things with absolutely no knowledge of codes and how they work, what are the chances of me getting a 'need seeds to farm' mod for A10?

FlowerChild

Quote from: AllenWL on April 24, 2015, 07:56:30 AM
Hey, if I try to rip out all non-seed related thing, and just keep the seed things with absolutely no knowledge of codes and how they work, what are the chances of me getting a 'need seeds to farm' mod for A10?

That's unlikely to work.  The most extensive bit of C# code in the mod is likely the one that deals with how colonists handle the job of planting the seeds.  Without that, you'd have seeds, but you wouldn't be able to do much with them ;)

Given I've opened it to the public domain though, should be relatively easy to find someone with enough coding experience to isolate that portion of the code and update it if you are so inclined.  Everything should be pretty self-explanatory for anyone with rudimentary coding knowledge.

CrackShotCleric

Holy crap, I didn't realize you were still around making mods. I remember BTW from way back in the early days of MC. I'm glad to see you are keeping busy and the pests haven't pushed you into modding retirement. :D
Are you taking requests for projects with Rimworld?

Vendan

Quote from: CrackShotCleric on May 03, 2015, 06:04:37 PM
Holy crap, I didn't realize you were still around making mods. I remember BTW from way back in the early days of MC. I'm glad to see you are keeping busy and the pests haven't pushed you into modding retirement. :D
Are you taking requests for projects with Rimworld?
Unlikely, as:
Quote from: FlowerChild on April 19, 2015, 02:25:31 PM
I realized recently that I'm trying to juggle way too many projects simultaneously