[1.5] RT Mods - expansion o'clock again (2024-04-20)

Started by Ratys, March 07, 2015, 05:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarelth

How exactly do Quantum Relays work? And what do they do for that matter? They don't seem to do anything for me.

Ratys

Quote from: Sarelth on July 29, 2016, 09:16:52 AM
How exactly do Quantum Relays work? And what do they do for that matter? They don't seem to do anything for me.

Quote from: Quantum Relay research project description
Allows construction of quantum relays: stand-alone devices that can connect to any quantum warehouse anywhere in the colony to transfer items and chunks back and forth.

When powered, relays scan adjacent stockpile zone (and storage building) spaces and send items in them to the connected warehouse, provided that warehouse's zone accepts them and has higher or equal priority (compared to the scanned space).

At the same time, connected warehouse will try to push items onto the relay, as defined by relay's own filter, if relay's priority is higher or equal to that of the warehouse's zone.

Sarelth

Not all that helpful of a description. I have 3 separate Storage zones with Quantum Storage units throughout. If I add a relay, do I place in on a Storage unit or near one or off to the side of the storage zone? Do the Relays send items to different Warehouses in different storage zones? If not, is there a way to transfer items between zones automatically with the Quantum Units? Or is it still manual movement between zones?

Ratys

Quote from: Sarelth on July 29, 2016, 09:55:13 AM
Not all that helpful of a description. I have 3 separate Storage zones with Quantum Storage units throughout. If I add a relay, do I place in on a Storage unit or near one or off to the side of the storage zone? Do the Relays send items to different Warehouses in different storage zones? If not, is there a way to transfer items between zones automatically with the Quantum Units? Or is it still manual movement between zones?

The description answers exactly all these questions.

Relays are placed separately from any other quantum storage devices.

Relays can connect to any single one quantum warehouse anywhere in the colony, this is done via gizmo buttons when a relay is selected.

When connected to a warehouse, a relay will send items around itself to that warehouse, if the filter in warehouse's zone allows those items.

If a warehouse has a relay connected to it, it will try to push items onto said relay, if relay's own filter allows those items.

Figuring out how to do specific things with this mod is part of the intended gameplay. All basic principles are explained, the rules set, the fun is in applying these principles within these rules in order to achieve things not possible without the mod. So, me giving explicit instructions on how to do such and such beyond very basics is kind of a spoiler:
(copy and paste this line in a text editor)To send items from one quantum storage zone to another via relays, have your sending zone and the relay at same storage priority, place the relay adjacent to a storage device in the receiving zone, connect relay to sending zone, set receiving zone's priority higher than that of the relay and sending zone, and enable the item you want to transfer in relay's filter.(copy and paste this line in a text editor)

Couldn't find a proper spoiler tag.

Sarelth

Okay, so I see my problem, I was not connecting things properly. Understood now.

hoochy

There is a bug with quantum stockpiles/warehouses that has been there for a while. Seems to happen once the colony grows large and it has to shift a lot of stuff around, lags the game a lot too. I had about 20 stockpiles and one warehouse. Every now and then if I hover over a quantum stockpile I'll see things like "gold x 0" too, which obviously shouldn't happen. I think the warehouse has some kind of bug when it is shifting stacks around.

Ratys

Quote from: hoochy on August 07, 2016, 10:32:23 PM
There is a bug with quantum stockpiles/warehouses that has been there for a while. Seems to happen once the colony grows large and it has to shift a lot of stuff around, lags the game a lot too. I had about 20 stockpiles and one warehouse. Every now and then if I hover over a quantum stockpile I'll see things like "gold x 0" too, which obviously shouldn't happen. I think the warehouse has some kind of bug when it is shifting stacks around.

-image snip-

Hm. I'll see if I can reproduce it. If it's not too much, could you upload your save somewhere?

Moribax

I think I found a bug in the quantum stockpiles: when in chunk storage mode colonists are unable to access any chunk except the surface one (i.e. you're making limestone blocks, you have the chunks in your storage, but it's under a marble chunk, the colonist will search for a chunk somewhere else). Doesn't happen  with any other object, just rock chunks

Ratys

Quote from: Moribax on August 11, 2016, 02:14:19 AM
I think I found a bug in the quantum stockpiles: when in chunk storage mode colonists are unable to access any chunk except the surface one (i.e. you're making limestone blocks, you have the chunks in your storage, but it's under a marble chunk, the colonist will search for a chunk somewhere else). Doesn't happen  with any other object, just rock chunks

This is exactly the intended behavior. Please read research descriptions.

Moribax

Quote from: Ratys on August 11, 2016, 04:32:57 AM
Quote from: Moribax on August 11, 2016, 02:14:19 AM

This is exactly the intended behavior. Please read research descriptions.

What's the point then? storing something you are unable to use? at least get us a way to select what's on the surface... it gets annoying needing one kind of stone and being forced to switch state just to get it, with all the mess resulting

Ratys

Quote from: Moribax on August 11, 2016, 06:06:17 AM
What's the point then? storing something you are unable to use? at least get us a way to select what's on the surface... it gets annoying needing one kind of stone and being forced to switch state just to get it, with all the mess resulting

The point is in storing several chunks in a single spot.

I would've made it work like it does with the items, but the game throws a fit when it tries to save/load a cell with several chunks in it.

If you need one kind of stone, define the filter to only store that one kind.

Master Bucketsmith

Question about those circuit breakers (and makeshift fuses I guess):
Does it matter where and how they're placed in my electricity network?
Can I dump these anywhere as long as they're connected, or do I have to place batteries and circuit breakers in a serial line?
In the latter case; does it matter on which side of the battery bank the circuit breaker is? As in, will it only protect from power surgers on the side the circuit breaker is between the battery bank and the rest of your base?

Ratys

Quote from: Bucketsmith on August 11, 2016, 08:18:30 AM
Question about those circuit breakers (and makeshift fuses I guess):
Does it matter where and how they're placed in my electricity network?
Can I dump these anywhere as long as they're connected, or do I have to place batteries and circuit breakers in a serial line?
In the latter case; does it matter on which side of the battery bank the circuit breaker is? As in, will it only protect from power surgers on the side the circuit breaker is between the battery bank and the rest of your base?

They can be placed anywhere on the power network with batteries you want to protect against (because batteries are inherently hostile and maleficent and should be purged with extreme prejudice, according to some players). I know it's not the most physics-friendly way, but neither is the way RimWorld power networks work.

Master Bucketsmith

That's great! Man, wish I knew that earlier. I had put a lot of effort into making nice banks of 3 batteries with a circuit breaker above them, and rerouting all my geothermals to enter the battery room first.

So that all doesn't matter, I can link it all up, add redundant power conduits and smack down batteries and circuit breakers anywhere?

Ratys

Quote from: Bucketsmith on August 11, 2016, 10:18:09 AM
That's great! Man, wish I knew that earlier. I had put a lot of effort into making nice banks of 3 batteries with a circuit breaker above them, and rerouting all my geothermals to enter the battery room first.

So that all doesn't matter, I can link it all up, add redundant power conduits and smack down batteries and circuit breakers anywhere?

Mechanically? Pretty much. Aesthetically? Only you can answer that.